PDA

View Full Version : Pooper Scooper Service

Lech615
10-31-2001, 09:41 PM
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Hey guys, I was talking to s friend and he was telling about lawn guys who offer Dog poop removal along with their mowing. Does anyone do this, or know anyone who does. What do you think?:blob3:

Evan528
10-31-2001, 09:57 PM
Is this for real? I have too much respect for myself to add "dog sh** removal" to the list of my services!

1MajorTom
10-31-2001, 10:07 PM
Yes this is for real. Not something that I would want to do, but believe me it is done.

There is a book out there you can check out if you are seriously considering this. You can learn about it here... http://www.pooper-scooper.com/ To find out what the book covers, click on the table of contents. Seems to be pretty thorough on what it covers, although I have not purchased this book to be sure.

casey
10-31-2001, 10:11 PM
Did you have the urge to join their discussion just for laughs?

mowerman90
10-31-2001, 10:59 PM
I wonder if L. Stone will join the forum?

gogetter
10-31-2001, 11:21 PM
Howard Stern fans may remember a guy that he had on his show that started a pooper scooping business.
The guy was a former military man, and so he incorporated this into his business image. He wore a military like uniform of some sort and called himself General or something like that.

This was his full time gig and he even hired employees. And if I remember correctly, he started a franchise.

So I guess there's money in poop!

BRL
10-31-2001, 11:23 PM
I was mowing one day & a guy stopped by to give me his biz card. I was a little curious & had to get some details. He had 2 guys working for him. Between the 3 of them they had around 250 clients they serviced. I believe he said it was around $15.00 - $20.00\week and he collected the crap & he made a deal to have his garbage collector take it all away. Not much overhead so it sounded like a decent racket. He knew of another guy with 10 or so employees doing around a million in sales per year, with just a few Ranger pick ups and the dumpster fees and salaries for overhead. That guy was on the Howard Stern show one time & happened to hear that show & thought it was a joke, until I met this guy. That's not for me though.

65hoss
10-31-2001, 11:41 PM
Every so often this 'crappy' subject comes up.

Maybe I could become a millionaire keeping it off peoples shoes.

Runner
11-01-2001, 12:19 AM
Like it or not, it becomes part of the job. If there is mess in the yard you can do one of two things. You can take care of it, or you can just ride your mower through it and carry it around with you, breathing it for the next three days. There was a post on this awhile back, and you'd be surprised at the amount of people who choose to take the latter of the two. I clean it up, and I charge dearly for it. Do I PICK it up? Oh....NO! You want to get rid of it fast and easy? Here's what you do. And you guys don't breathe a WORD of this to anybody! On the jobs known to be riddled with these minefields, you grab your spade shovel off your trailer first thing. You go to the area, and where there is a pile, you jab the spade down into the ground next to the pile, and you open up the slit as wide as you need. You push (with the end of the shovel:rolleyes: ) the stuff into the hole, then step on each side to close it up. There! All gone! No mess, no waste to take care of. No, you can't charge extra for the fert though. Make sure you slide your shovel into the ground a few times on the way back to the truck. This cleans it off.

Got Grass?
11-01-2001, 03:45 AM
Intresting this topic came up, arround here people are lazy. A customer for plowing and trimming, now wants me to service thier lawn next year. She has 4 large dogs that leave thier droppings all over the lawn. I told her I would not be able to service her property with all the dog doo. She then informed me she had a service that came every tuesday to pick up the dung and gave me the guys card.
On the card it reads "The Dog Butler, Pet waste removal, weekly yard cleanup for dog owners, $8 one cleaning per week (one dog) $12 two cleanings per week (one dog), discounts for seniors and assiastance-dog owners"
Kinda made me think, It's actually a good service to provide, People are lazy and you can make decent money dooing it, but who wants to? Also assistance dogs cant clean up for themselves and if the person lives by themselves thay odviously cant doo it...
There are 2-3 people that only provide this service arround here, and I bet thay are making a decent living dooing it. Heck it only could take 5mins for an easy $8 more then I make on avg. Line up the block and there ya go. Personally I dont wanna deal with that kinda crap from any of my customers, but I'll be sure to give the card to potential customers. hmmm.... Wonder if these guys would be willing to sub contract out....

awm
11-01-2001, 04:23 AM
ive put in plenty of time shoveling farm animals crap.
be nice to get paid for it. im not applying for the job,mind you.:)

Runner
11-01-2001, 11:49 AM
I don't know, 8 bucks to drive over to someone's house, pick up their weeks worth of droppings, load into a garbage bag, or whatever, and drive back home and dispose of it just doesn't sound al that lucrative to me. Good luck lining up a whole block... And the bad thing about the subcontracting aspect of it would be, with my luck, they would be scheduled to come in the day AFTer I was to cut.:rolleyes: lol.

Got Grass?
11-01-2001, 02:04 PM
Well, This guy comes on tues, So I'll cut on wed. It fits right into my route. He has 2 on the same ct. and a dozen in the sub. Drives arround in a ranger. w/ a bucket and garbage can in the back. along with the tools of the trade (pooper scooper)...

TLS
11-01-2001, 02:10 PM
(Scratching Head)....I guess on small lawns this could be a quick and easy job. BUT, how about a 1 acre lawn. It would take you a long time to walk that to see if you got all of them! Then as soon as you miss a few, the owner would complain! Or worse yet.....THEIR LAWN MOWING GUY!!!

I personally only have one yard that is somewhat bad. It is inside his gate for the pool, so I have to use the WB. It gets a little bad, but I step with caution in the minefield areas. If its on the tires, I'll drive around the grass till its worn off. Sure beats scoopin it up though. His lawn is higher priced than any I do in his area. Maybe thats why he doesn't pick it up! "He's charging all this money to mow, why shoud I pick it up!"

Oh well

gogetter
11-01-2001, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Runner
I don't know, 8 bucks to drive over to someone's house, pick up their weeks worth of droppings, load into a garbage bag, or whatever, and drive back home and dispose of it just doesn't sound al that lucrative to me. .

The problem I see would just be lining up enough customers in a small enough area. But IF you can line enough up, I suppose it could be profitable.
You could easily fit in say 30 lawns a day, 5 days a week (assuming you could sign that many up).
That's $1200 a week. Work 50 weeks a year, that's $60,000.

Considering there are people that spend 4 or more years at college to obtain degrees that would allow them to get jobs that pay less then this, seems pretty smart to me. You couldn't ask for an easier job. It's not physical, takes no brain work, no stress.
Smelly? Yeah. But look how hard some of us have to work to make $60K a year. We get sweaty, dirty, sore. Have to invest in expensive equipment.
I don't know if it's something I would do, but I sure wouldn't knock anyone that does as long as he's making good money.

cos
11-01-2001, 04:09 PM
I saw this on TV too. This dude started a biz and properly disposed of the sh**. He put it in this huge drum on the back of his truck. It was filled with a chemical that broke the crap down and dump it somewhere they take crap. He was doing very well for himself too.

summitgroundskeeping
11-01-2001, 09:49 PM
Ya, I have customers w/ sh!t every where in their lawns. Gets on my boots somehow, tires, velkie, and it smells horrible.Smells up the trailer, truck, and everything. Next season, I'm going to hire our local pooper scooper to take care of this. :angry:
I'm not kidding it smells bad. It's so bad you can smell it 3-4 houses away in every direction after I mow. RRRRRRRRR. I hate poop
:cry:

wolfpacklawn
11-02-2001, 12:12 AM
I pick up the poop at about 75% of my customers that have dogs. It's an easy $8-10 extra for about 5-10 min. of work. What's the problem? Grass clippings after a few days is about as bad. The other 25% that have dogs must have it clean before I mow or they will get charged for me doing it. I refuse to mow over poop. That is worse than picking it up. I put it in a 5 gallon bucket that I line with a small garbage bag. I don't like to pick it up either but that is why I have hired help. I have my employee do it while I am trimming or edging. It's just part of the job.

Bill Davis
11-02-2001, 08:58 AM
If i get desperate and buisness gets slow I would rather do that than get real job for someone else.

cos
11-02-2001, 01:04 PM
I had to mow this small area with the push mower. Man I had dog crap everywhere. All over the wheels, trailer, my feet, etc. After that I decided to just weed eat the area. I weed eat around all of it. If the customer don't understand, then I would simply tell them "OK either clean your crap up, or hire someone else to mow your lawn that can stand dog pie"

BRL
11-02-2001, 09:31 PM
Speaking of weedeating around crap... One time I had a friend helping me out (you can see where this is going right?) and sure enough, he whipped right into a little pile. Poop all over him. It was hard to convince him that as his friend and boss, I was really laughing with him, not at him. I don't have anymore properties with dogs & won't take them from now on. Summit summed it up for me, can't stand that problem, and my clients without pets sure don't want me dragging the neighbor's crap onto their properties.