PDA

View Full Version : Graphic design opinions needed (pics)

Rayholio
02-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey guys! I need some opinions.. I just bought a vinyl cutter, and I need to cover my box truck.. I have a couple designs I want you to look at, and give me your opinion.

When you look at these, you'll notice right off that one is VERY conservative, and the other Is not..

We're talking being noticed vs staying "safe" here.

These have been copywrited allready...

Notes:
The front, back, and cab will all be done in a conservative, classic theme on BOTH options.

The area you're looking at will seem smaller than it actually will look in public. The area to be covered is about 16 ft by 9ft.. meaning the SMALLEST text will be at least a ft tall.

The silver part at the bottom is simulated diamond plate boxes that are being installed right now.

Ok.. Give it to me! Reaper or Classic?

MStine315
02-05-2008, 02:43 PM
I like the first one (classic, I guess). It's a little more friendly vs. the reaper. The second one is certainly edgy, I'll give you that. Just not for me. Nice work either way.

Victor
02-05-2008, 03:02 PM
I really like the first graphic Ray. I'm not too fond of the second one.

RigglePLC
02-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Love the top version. However--I had difficulty reading the name of the company. Is it Green Scapes?
Could you possibly repeat it in big--easy to read on a speeding truck--bold letters?

Second one is too busy.

ToniDavies
02-05-2008, 03:09 PM
I like the classic as well, not sure if you may scare off some potential new customers with the reaper.
That is just my thought.

Victor
02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Love the top version. However--I had difficulty reading the name of the company. Is it Green Scapes?
Could you possibly repeat it in big--easy to read on a speeding truck--bold letters?

Second one is too busy.

I'm with you John. I love the top version, but too had difficulty reading his company name. That's the only thing I'd change.

Did you work up those layouts yourself Ray?

06HD BOSS
02-05-2008, 03:13 PM
i hope your kidding with the 2nd one. when people are driving by and take a quick glance at it, it doesnt give any indication of what your business does. figure when people are driving, youll be lucky to get 5 seconds of their time. (unless at a stoplight or parking lot)

Rayholio
02-05-2008, 03:59 PM
5 seconds isn't enough to write down a phone number... so I guess neither one would make an impression in that situation...

It seems like everyone was wondering what I was thinking with the 2nd one.. The Green Reaper..

Honestly, did you guys spend more time looking at the 1st one (the one that looks just like everyone elses) or the 2nd one?

I think that the reaper is more likely to get the HARD looks.. people actually reading, trying to figure out what's going on, where the 1st one will just be glanced at.. "oh.. another mowing company".. AND I DON'T EVEN MOW! LOL

Maybe I'm way off here.. I knew it would be a long shot..

I got cha on the logo.. I'll have a lot more highlight than what is visible, to make sure it stands out..

I really appriciate the feedback! Keep it com'n

yardprospraying
02-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Ray,
Nice set up. I'll have to agree with everyone else and say the first one is much more appealing to look at, although you are right about taking a harder look at the second one. You said you have a vinyl cutter. Does it hook up to your pc, or is it manual? That would definetly be the way to go if you are good at putting the stuff on. I paid around $400 per truck for ours, and am considering doing our 8X20 enclosed trailer.

BTW, is that what you carry your prolawn in?

John..

Team-Green L&L
02-05-2008, 04:23 PM
The first design is nice, clean, and readable. The second is noisy, cluttered, and not reader-friendly. That's my opinion anyway.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Seems like the second one you have to "study" to make out what the green reaper really is. 1St one looks GOOD!

Rayholio
02-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Yep.. baught a cutter on ebay.. it can handle up to 30 inch vinyl.. I've done a TON of vinyl installation in the past, so I'm comfortable with it.. It IS a USB cutter...

The final straw was when a designer wanted over 2 grand to do just the sides of this truck.. I did some research and figured out it was only about $300 worth of materials..

That, and I have little vinyl projects all the time..

long story on the pro-lawn... I'm having a hitch welded on today for the prolawn.. it'll pull a little tilt trailer. I WANTED to use this to carry the pro-lawn(inside), but it wasn't really possible to put a ramp for that elivation.. I had 'concerns' about modifying the liftgate to be 8 ft long.. and truthfully, most of my jobs would be fine with a Zspray Jr.. which the existing gate would be perfect for. (if I ever get one) :) and besides, probably 80% of my treatments are Granular..

Victor
02-05-2008, 04:30 PM
I love your out of the box thinking. I think it's a great idea to try to capture people's attention by creating a layout that is really different. In my humble opinion though, that 2nd design isn't very appealing to the eye. I don't think it's very pleasant to look at. I think you'd have more people looking away from it, than wanting to look at it.
If you came up with an eccentric design that was more appealing to the eye, with better, more vibrant colors, I think you'd be on to something friend. Take it for what it's worth, but I think it would also be in your best interest to incorporate into your design, enough clues that onlookers WOULD be able to tell at a glance, what service you offer.
These are just my opinions and I hope they help you out. :)

Rayholio
02-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks victor, that is actually very helpful..

I have to say, I reject the idea that we have to be so touchy feely about our career.. people hire us to kill weeds, not to raise their kids.. our wavering is part of what causes our industry to look 'evil'...

Check out vexcon a pest control company that wears skulls and crossbones.. they're 100% goth.. and very busy:

http://www.vexconinc.com/employees.html

you may have seen them on Discovery Channel's "dirty jobs"

RAlmaroad
02-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Ray: I have a Master's Degree in Art and over 35 years experience, so the first one is your best. However that big clump of grass on the right is just too big. The eye goes right to it because of the too strong irregular shape. Scale it down and bring up your Name and little girll You'll be glad you did.
Roy

bug-guy
02-05-2008, 05:43 PM
i'd like to see the final when the truck gets the graphics applied to it. ray have you decided. (nice cut and paste job)

Whitey4
02-05-2008, 06:46 PM
The second one is too wordy. You will get more impressions when you are on the road, and like a billboard, it needs to be easy to scan and come away with an impression. Even at a red light, with such large lettering, being so close would make it difficult to read.

The first one is easy to read, and the web site name is prominent and easy to remember. It uses words very efficiently, and that is what you want a truck sign to do. What truck sign if any, do you remember? Mayflower moving vans come to my mind. Very simple signage, but you immediately know who they are, what they do, and it's easy to remember. UPS is another. FedEx. Short and sweet, easy to remember.

The big spray companies keep it short and sweet too. If it gets too busy, you tend to forget what the message is, it gets lost in the sauce. Show someone that first one for 4 seconds, and ask what they remember. Then the second one. That's all the time you have.

I really like the color scheme. It is hard to ignore. Both draw attention, but it's the first one that is easiest to remember, and it's friendlier. I don't want the reaper, any kind of reaper comin to MY house!

lifetree
02-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I'd go with the one in the first picture ... the child playing is always more of seller than a reaper !!

humble1
02-06-2008, 12:29 AM
I like the first one, you need to get the point across in a glance, plus you want people to sublimally say wow i wish my lawn looked as good as that one with the kid.
Also i think you should line up your number under the company name
, things need to be lined up better. You could go smaller on the website, people are driving name and phone is what you need to get across.

The second is too busy i couldnt get what you did at a glance, even though i know what you do.