PDA

View Full Version : Honda Vertical Shaft on Walk Behind Mower

DreamtheGreen
02-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Does anyone have any experience with a Honda motor on a walkbehind. I want to repower a walkbehind. It has a Kawasaki 14hp right now and old. Want to replace with a 18hp, since it is a hydro walkbehind. Anyone please chime in. I did see about 18 months ago a Scag with a 18hp Honda on it.

All_Toro_4ME
02-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Why not replace with a Kaw? They have more torque and power and cost less. I have absolutely nothing against Honda by the way, Im just wondering.

DreamtheGreen
02-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Just trying to compare the Honda to the Kawasaki. If I can find a Kaw 17hp with Recoil for a good price I may Do it.

olde_blue
02-06-2008, 11:23 AM
I have an 8-year old 36" Honda walkbehind with the 13 HP GX390 engine, single cylinder, with 800 hours. Besides routine maintainence, the only problems I have had are with the carburator jets clogging up (I have this problem with both GX and GC engines, and not with my Kohler or Kawasaki engines) and a bad ignition coil at about 600 hours. Other than that the engine runs like new.
The 13 HP engine, however, has barely adequate power to run the 36" belt drive mower at 3.5 mph. I have no experience with the twin-cylinder Hondas.
I have a 17 HP Kawasaki on a 36" Wright Stander, and it will cut through tall grass at full speed (7.5 mph) with no problem. No problems with it so far, but it is only two years old with 500 hours.
Honda's customer service leaves something to be desired. Ordering parts from the manufacturer through my dealer is slow (3-4 days); although my local independent repair shop can get Honda parts next day though an third party supplier.
Parts for Kawasaki and Kohler engines can often be found in-stock locally, which speeds repairs.
My advice would be to go with the Kawasaki.