PDA

View Full Version : GPS - Speed

rcreech
02-05-2008, 09:33 PM
I noticed on the new Z-Sprays they have Garmin GPS for speed.

Anyone know the accuracy of this little unit? It is called a Garmin Forerunner 101.

I looked on the web and you can get the exact GPS unit for about $70-80.

You can track your time on each lawn from start to finish, speed and check and distance etc.

Is anyone thinking of adding this to their ride-on unit?

This may sound stupid.....but I was even wondering about on larger properties about using it for estimating lawns? You can wear it on your wrist also. Just wondering about this as it sucks to push a wheel over larger acreages that are all cut up.

deere615
02-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't know about that unit but I have a garmin in my truck and I trust it pretty well, because it is down by satellite, my truck has about a 3mph difference.

LushGreenLawn
02-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Every GPS I've ever used or owned was right on for speed. Your truck may be off by the 3mph.

Jason Rose
02-05-2008, 11:51 PM
I may have to look one of those up on eBay... Sounds like a pretty cool little gadget.

Blink74
02-06-2008, 12:59 AM
I talked to Andy at LT Rich about it an he said it is very accurate. According to him you can take one step and see it change 3ft.

Rayholio
02-06-2008, 01:07 AM
Does it have a setting to let you know if you're overlapping?? farm equipment has had GPS guidence for a while...

Russ
02-06-2008, 06:52 AM
I have a Garmin Legend mounted on my Z. It will measure area but I believe it is the only model that will. It is very accurate down to as low as 5K (thats as low as I've checked it).

MarcSmith
02-06-2008, 08:03 AM
I have summit HC etrex by garmin. color screen downloadable maps, you can even download your way point into an autocad file for plotting , ect.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8709
it does area altitude, ect.... about i got mine for $160 bucks.

rcreech
02-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Does it have a setting to let you know if you're overlapping?? farm equipment has had GPS guidence for a while...

Thanks Guys! I will probably just get a Garmin!

Ray,

Funny you ask!

I have a light bar (guidance system) on my big sprayer...and it works great!

I stopped in yesterday and talked to my Case dealer and I could run a lightbar on my new spreader as it has variable widths. The only problem is that its accuracy is about 6 inches (which is good on a 60 ft boom, but not a 11-18 ft swath).

If you go to RTK then it you can get within an inch...but that is big money.

Also this system is a little "bulky" on a ride on...but I am definilty going to keep my eye on it!

The older units are down to about $1800, which is money well spent when you do a lot of larger properties.

You can't believe how a unit like this takes the "fatigue" out of the job. You just sit back and drive straight!

I think I am going to go with the Garmin for now, just for speed!

Grandview
02-06-2008, 12:15 PM
I have used a GPS unit to keep track of speed with my larger spray units for several years. I have a Magellan. It will also keep track of your bearing so it could eliminate the need for a foamer. My GPS uses batteries quickly. I have a battery power supply. I also use it to check the speed of my Permagreens when I calibrate them.

rcreech
02-06-2008, 02:53 PM
I have used a GPS unit to keep track of speed with my larger spray units for several years. I have a Magellan. It will also keep track of your bearing so it could eliminate the need for a foamer. My GPS uses batteries quickly. I have a battery power supply. I also use it to check the speed of my Permagreens when I calibrate them.

I think I read about 15 hours of battery life...does that sound right?

If one can remember to turn off when not in use, it should last a couple days I would think.

Grandview
02-06-2008, 03:02 PM
My batteries last about an hour. A friend told me GPS units go through batteries quickly. Newer models might be easier on batteries. I bought the battery adapter cord that plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet. So my tractor battery powers my GPS.

LawnDFortCollins
02-06-2008, 05:51 PM
What is the model of gps you use on your permagreens? How much do they go for?

Jason Rose
02-06-2008, 08:34 PM
For those that are burnig through batteries, buy some of the rechargeable NiMH (nikel metal hydride) 2650 mAh. And a plug in charger.

I bought some for my digital camera and OMG, I took 200 pictures, at least, on 1 pair of batteries. Compared to about 50 to 75 with even the high dollar "digital camera" batterys. Plus you can charge them over and over and they don't develop a "memory" like the old recharable batteries would.

MarcSmith
02-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Li-Po batteries are next big thing...but they need a special charger. as far as power and logevity, its like having a 9 volt in the package of AAA with the capacity of a D cell.

deere615
02-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Every GPS I've ever used or owned was right on for speed. Your truck may be off by the 3mph.

Ya I know its my truck because the Your speed signs on the side of the road are usually reading about 3 miles under my speedometer speed.