PDA

View Full Version : Portable Air Tanks

Mowman
11-01-2001, 03:13 PM
Had a flat tire out in the field yesterday and wondered if any of you guy's carry a air tank with you in the truck? If so what kind would you suggest? Do you also carry plugs to fix a flat, or do you just carry the FIX IT FLAT can? Thanks for your input.

Mowman

lawngator
11-01-2001, 03:29 PM
A portable air tank is a must. Fix-a-flat is probably a good thing to have as well. Tire plug kits. These are all things for the tool box on your trailer. Unless you like to stop what your doing and head to the house for the repair.

BOTURF
11-01-2001, 04:03 PM
I carry a air tank bought at quality farm and fleet store and also carry 3 bottles of slime next best thing to fix a flat tire carring these 2 things are a must

sunrise
11-01-2001, 05:38 PM
I carry slime also, but I have a portable air comp. that plugs into the power point of my truck.It cost $20.00 or less works great on mower tires takes time on a large tire

Fantasy Lawns
11-01-2001, 05:48 PM
you can get a 7 gal size air tank from wally world for like $25

cos
11-01-2001, 05:54 PM
K-mart,wal-mart,pepboys....Cheap and worth it!!!!!!

Craig Turf Management
11-01-2001, 05:55 PM
Air tank and some Slime. I took off the hose that came with the tank, and replaced with one of those coil-type hoses. Gives me more maneuverability than the rigid hose. Don't forget a good quality tire pressure gauge.
Bill!

GLS
11-01-2001, 06:10 PM
I have the no-flat slime type stuff put in some of my equipment. It is supposed to not ever go flat...so far so good.

Evan528
11-01-2001, 06:33 PM
I keep a can of Prestone Tire sealer and A ciggarettle lighter operated air pump. These two items have saved me more than once this year!

Mark
11-01-2001, 08:07 PM
Air tank and slime is a must. I do like the carry tank better than the plug-ins you can take them right to the mower in the field, Like Evan said saved me more than onece this season. Marks Mowing Service

Green Care
11-01-2001, 08:29 PM
Air tank . From auto supply store.

awm
11-01-2001, 09:42 PM
air tank, plugs and tools for them,impact wrench that works off
cigerette lighter . i also have a jump starter that i find all kind of uses for.course u need a good jack.

Runner
11-01-2001, 10:06 PM
Air tank, priceless.:D My brother made one from a propane tank, like the ones on campers, and just put his own gauge and valve hose on it. I guess THAT'S being resourceful!

a1 lawncare
11-01-2001, 10:10 PM
carry slime, the portable air tanks, plugs, and get a small 12 comp. i've used all in the same day, they pay for themselves very quick.

keith

scottt
11-01-2001, 10:54 PM
I carry a 12 volt compressor and a 7 gallon air tank with me all the time. They were about $25 a piece at walmart. The time they save the first time or two you use them pays for itself.

GreenQuest Lawn
11-02-2001, 01:17 AM
I think my air tank is 5gal, bought it at a building supply(Menards) for $19 on sale. I also carry tire plugs. Have fixed tires on the truck, trailer, and mowers.

GLS
11-02-2001, 02:39 PM
On my Craftsman 6hp 150psi 30g air compressor, it says not to keep air in it for more than a day. I was thinking of getting a portable tank, but do you have to drain that all the time too? I don't want to have to fill it everyday. Also, what is the reason for draining it everyday, would it blow up!?

racerdave
11-02-2001, 05:44 PM
BryanO,
You should open the petcock valve under the tank to drain condensate from the tank. If you don't it will rust thru or weaken the tank to a point that it can expode.(pressurized air is an explosive force)

As far as portable air tanks, they should be ok. Just be sure to use a tank designed for this purpose. I remember a couple years ago that someone was killed in my area by filling an old freon tank with air.

You really should look for an ASME stamp on the tank you use.

For you guys that do blow downs, I recommend using a pressure regulator and run the air pressure at no more than 20 psi. The older pvc piping that has been exposed to the weather and sun light becomes brittle and can explode if breaks under a compressed pressure. Remember water pressure and air pressure are two completely different animals

David

DanG
11-03-2001, 12:54 AM
I carry a tank plus a compressor. I also carry tire plugs & slime.
I also have a power inverter that i bought at Sams Club (less than $100)that is in the tool box in back. I use that to run my
4 1/2" grinder to sharpen blades and to run the compressor.

Dan G.

GLS
11-03-2001, 08:23 PM
You can run a compressor off that invertor!? The most I can run off mine is a laptop and battery charger before blowin the fuse on the vehicle (not inverter).

Jusmowin
11-03-2001, 09:09 PM
Ive put slime in all the mowers tires ,but I still carry a air tank and a fix a flat just incase.