PDA

View Full Version : Price Check Please...

mike lane lawn care
02-05-2008, 09:48 PM
ok, so PLT(pittsfield lawn&Tractor) the largest JD/construction equipment dealer around has a few new trailers i was looking at. one that struck my interest, was a 16' Cam supreme trailer that had the following:
oak decking
on both axles
10,000 lbs GVWR
slide out ladder style loading ramps
2 5/16 coupler, upgradeable to pintle
"smart" break away controller
LED lights
it looks like a real nice and well built trailer, and i'm told that Cam is one of the best trailers out there, the price tag they gave me was $3400, does this sound reasonable for a 5 ton equipment trailer?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
02-05-2008, 09:52 PM
I paid $1400 for a used 16' w/ 5200lb axles. I've seen them go for new around $2400 or so here. But these are different brands.

vadeere
02-05-2008, 10:14 PM
I paid $2700 for an 18ft 10000lb in 06. BTW what are gonna jerk that thing around w/? You are looking at 2500lbs empty. Mine will wag the dog so to speak on my duramax. Meaning if it isn't loaded it rides like hell and in turn makes the truck ride like hell.

mike lane lawn care
02-05-2008, 11:55 PM
I paid $2700 for an 18ft 10000lb in 06. BTW what are gonna jerk that thing around w/? You are looking at 2500lbs empty. Mine will wag the dog so to speak on my duramax. Meaning if it isn't loaded it rides like hell and in turn makes the truck ride like hell.

i'm looking at a leftover 2500 or 3500 SRW to haul it with. as my truck will run out of capactiy before i can load even a few mowers onto the trailer.

vadeere
02-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Good choice, a srw truck will do OK, dually is better. Just do me a favor and do not pull it with that 1/2 ton in your sig. My dmax doesnt like pulling it empty, I rarely do, due to it being my personal truck. My dually cummins, you cant tell its back there, mostly b/c that dodge is one heavy mfer @ 9ks empty. Good luck, and btw that price they gave you is high.

Scag48
02-06-2008, 02:39 AM
You don't need a 10K rated trailer to tow mowers, that's a heavy mammajamma to be dragging around. If your trailer weighs more than your load, something isn't right. I've also heard quite a few negative reviews of Cam Superline trailers, I wouldn't buy one going from the things I've heard about their build quality and their lack of ability to work with an unsatisfied customer due to crappy build quality.

mike lane lawn care
02-06-2008, 12:45 PM
You don't need a 10K rated trailer to tow mowers, that's a heavy mammajamma to be dragging around. If your trailer weighs more than your load, something isn't right. I've also heard quite a few negative reviews of Cam Superline trailers, I wouldn't buy one going from the things I've heard about their build quality and their lack of ability to work with an unsatisfied customer due to crappy build quality.

i'm not using it as just a mower hauler, i need a car hauler as well, and this trailer fits the bill perfectly, it has almost no railing on it, so i can open the door to any car without having to modify the trailer's fenders.

mike lane lawn care
02-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Good choice, a srw truck will do OK, dually is better. Just do me a favor and do not pull it with that 1/2 ton in your sig. My dmax doesnt like pulling it empty, I rarely do, due to it being my personal truck. My dually cummins, you cant tell its back there, mostly b/c that dodge is one heavy mfer @ 9ks empty. Good luck, and btw that price they gave you is high.

i looked at the dually, but as it is, a bare bones 2500 is pricey. ironically, a SRW 3500 4x4 is cheaper than a similarly equipped 2500 4x4.

Scag48
02-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Should work well for a car hauler, check your approach and depature angles and make sure ramps will work for you.

mike lane lawn care
02-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Should work well for a car hauler, check your approach and depature angles and make sure ramps will work for you.

yea, i checked it, and i may have to slide a 2x4 under the ramp for the small car, but it isn't tall enough off the ground to cause problems with most vehicles. the ramps pull out and are pretty long.