PDA

View Full Version : I keep fowling Plugs???

the.hines
02-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Why do I keep having to change out my spark plugs on a brand new cub cadet push mower??? Thing maybe has 5 hours on it changed them twice already???

Restrorob
02-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Shawn,

You didn't post any model numbers; http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040

Check the air filter, The unit could have been flipped over in shipment. This could have let what little oil that was left in the crankcase from the pre-run inspection soak the filter, This could restrict air flow and cause a rich fuel mixture fouling the plug.

newz7151
02-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Shawn,

You didn't post any model numbers; http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040

Check the air filter, The unit could have been flipped over in shipment. This could have let what little oil that was left in the crankcase from the pre-run inspection soak the filter, This could restrict air flow and cause a rich fuel mixture fouling the plug.

Rob, it most likely has the MTD engine on it and the whole engine should be replaced under warranty. Especially if the problem is in the hard stoned jetting of the carburetor like one we had.

lucforce
02-06-2008, 09:39 PM
...plug fowling...

I didn't know they had wings!

I couldn't resist.

khouse
02-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Your not running mixed fuel on accident?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
02-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Whatz up with the dealer itz new...........

the.hines
02-08-2008, 04:30 PM
The only thing that I can see on it is. OHV 6.75hp.I couldn't really see anything other the Cubcadet on the engine.Yeah I bought the thing end of year and it has been sitting in the shed until needed. I will be bringing it back but I just wanted to ask if it is something I can take care of...Good, New gas, New plugs, New filters??? Anything else???

khouse
02-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Is the oil level too high?

topsites
02-08-2008, 05:13 PM
First check the choke valve inside the carb, pull the air filter off and manually activate the throttle, make sure this piece opens and closes as it should.

Then, when going to WOT on some machines choke is just past WOT and there may or may not be any way to really tell when running it, so I made red marks with a magic marker on the throttle body where the piece moves that the cable is attached to... This tells me the max WOT setting down below and it is not always exactly the same spot on the upper handle part due to certain cables stretch or sticking or Idk what the problem is but that's just how it is... Also might help to back off WOT via the lever just a tiny bit when operating to make sure you're not choking it at all, that is, if choke is just past WOT watch out for that.

the.hines
02-10-2008, 12:49 PM
I know the oil level in it is too high... I think I will change it out to be safe... What would you suggest for weight of oil? Anyone got a special brand they like to use?

khouse
02-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Before you change the oil smell it. Does it smell like gas? Is it real thin? Use whatever weight of oil your manual says.