PDA

View Full Version : guaranteed crabgrass control

humble1
02-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Anyone offer a guarantee on it? Im offering guaranteed grub control, any new damage ill reseed it.
My thought was 2 dimension apps plus acclaim for post emergent. Any thoughts>

PHS
02-06-2008, 08:23 AM
I don't offer any guarantees per se. When a customer asks for a guarantee I tell them that if there isn't a noticeable improvement I'll repeat the necessary treatments the following year free of charge. Also when customers ask that I take some digital photos of the property before I start treating just in case it's that rare customer who's going to jerk you around to get some free work. My IPM background is on high value trees where any guarantee is a recipe for disaster.

Frank Fescue
02-06-2008, 08:30 AM
yeah, that can be dangerous. If the lawn is thin they're going to wind up with crabgrass. And your guarentee is going to make you look bad. Plus eventually the product breaks down and they'll see a plant here and there. It raises questions from the customer like "I thought it was guarenteed and now I have crabgrass" And you can berak down agronomics to them all you want, some people just dont want to hear it.

If a customer of mine gets our crabgrass control in the spring I'll spray any crabgrass during the summer at no charge. But without a program totally designed to take the lawn, and thicken it up over time I'd be hard pressed to guarentee no crabgrass, people hear that and they assume they'll never see any again.

NattyLawn
02-06-2008, 08:49 AM
The only scenario I would guarantee crabgrass control is if there's a nice stand of turf and if I personally mowed it. Too many variables to deal with otherwise, and spraying Drive or other crabgrass killers will get expensive real quick.

SpreadNSpray
02-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Crabgrass is tough to guarantee with pre emergent alone. If you have a post control application built into your program than you could guarantee.

boats47
02-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Guarantees can be very dangerous and will bite you in the ass, trust me. If customer asks if I guarantee my work e.g. no weeds/insects, I tell them the only guarantees are taxes and death. I further explain to them in a political manner that unless mother nature guarantees me ideal WX conditions with just the right amount of rain, sunlight, wind ect I can not put my word on whether or not the chemicals will do thier thing. I will guarantee to them that I will do everything in my control to give them the best damn lawn out there.

tgnb
02-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Guarantee them that you will keep it minimal and under control. They'll appreciate you in the long run because you didn't blow smoke up their patootie. Overselling your service is a recipe for poor retention.

garydale
02-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Only offer to "control" anything. You don't have control of all the possible factors affecting a lawn.

You can only control crabgrass,grubs,diseases etc. to guarantee control would be foolish.IMO

Runner
02-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Guaranteed control? That is an excellent and widely used marketing term. Not hard to back up. As was said before, control is the key word. Keeping them below the threshold levels. Every lawn has grubs - at some time or another. Keeping them under control to prevent excessive damage is the trick. It SHOULD be part of the service. Now, free damage repair,...I'm not sure about. Sometimes, it is beyond OUR control - again, as was stated above. weather factors, etc.. ALL these guys are right on.