PDA

View Full Version : Carry-On versus PJ Trailers

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I am looking at purch. a 5x8 trailer in the very near future for the 2008 season. Will be hauling 36" WB, 21" push, line trimmer, blower, etc. I have priced out two brands: Carry-On (Lowes, TSC, etc carries them), and PJ (local dealer carries those). Carry-On 5x8 with drop gate and 12" tires goes around $700 new. The PJ with drop gate and 15" tires goes around $1200+. My question is this - for a small operation like mine, not hauling a lot of weight, is the PJ brand really that much better than Carry-On? Or would Carry-On suffice for my operation? I really do not want to overbuy here, I have no need for more trailer than its worth. Thanks everyone!

mike lane lawn care
02-06-2008, 12:49 PM
i'm tossing my carry on, it is complete junk compared to the other trailers out there.

Raven386
02-06-2008, 01:11 PM
carry-on customer service is top-notch. the pin assembly that holds the gates up broke on both sides. The trailer wasnt under warranty but they still sent me the new pin assembly, and a new break-away kit. They didnt charge me a thing, no shipping charges..

The bad thing about carry-on is the pins that hold the gates up broke, the mowers get hung up on the hinges. there is a few other things too.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Anyone else with an opinion on the quality of Carry-On trailers per my original post?

Raven386
02-07-2008, 11:04 AM
you'd be fine with the carry-on. $1200 + for a 5X8 trailer is a lot IMO.

Raven386
02-07-2008, 11:08 AM

Jason Rose
02-07-2008, 12:19 PM
For starters the Carry-on trailers are absolute JUNK. Just look at how they are built structure-wise compared to the PJ (or most other "name brand" trailers). The reason they sell so many trailers is because they got into the volume market and sell to most of the discount stored like TSC, Lowes, Orschelns, and so on. They also have their brand name on most of the parts you buy at those stores. Still dosn't chance the fact that they are junk. Think "yugo" (remember that little car?) when you think of Carry-on trailers.

Now the PJ trailer you mentioned seems overpriced. I paid $1265 for a 77" x 10' single axle with the dovetail and ramp gate on 10-15-07. (before tax). But there's a reason I bought it. It's built VERY WELL. Powdercoated instead of painted, good quality treated wood for the deck, lights all recessed in the frame, even has some "bling" with the dimond tread aluminium fenders, lol. Ok, the expanded metal they use on the gate is a little undersized, but I notice that it's still better than what's on other trailers. If you want the really good heavy stuff anymore you have to have one custom built, or build it yourself.

Yeah, that's a LOT to pay for a small trailer, but they are all in that ballpark for that size now, price of steel, and everything else, has driven up prices considerably the last few years.

Guzman Properties
02-07-2008, 12:42 PM
You get what you pay for.

IA_James
02-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Carry On is trash. I'm going to have to rewire mine because half the friggin lights don't work. Bought it last April or May. Plus my ramp pin set up fell out of the stupid thing. POS.

CuttinUP
02-07-2008, 02:56 PM
That seems very high! I bought a Duvall custom built 5x13 for $800.00 and it is the best quality trailer around here IMO.