PDA

View Full Version : more leaves than lawn

dlandscaping
11-01-2001, 07:10 PM
i did this small yard(my smallest) a week ago and there were hardly any leaves on it. last time i think there was one full green bucket(60 or 50 gallon one) full but i mulched them with the doubles on my toro 36. there wasnt much wind or rain it just seemed all the leaves from the tree fell. heres the before pic

dlandscaping
11-01-2001, 07:14 PM
heres during, it dont look like much but the pile is actually about 3-4 feet high. i found the billygoat to work quite well on it, but it stopped moving leaves quickly when the pile was about 6 feet tall. the hand controlled discharge worked very well.

plymouthvaliant73
11-01-2001, 07:43 PM
Nice pics, good job. Looks like a silver maple there in the back. I've got some jobs with those. One is by the ocean and the wind takes all the leaves out to sea. Another is a larger turf area so I can just mulch them. When I was in forestry we took down alot of these big old trees for road hazards. One neighborhood had 'em up and down both sides of the street. Not no more! A real nice shade tree but they drop a lot of branches and the limbs get hollow.

mdb landscaping
11-01-2001, 08:27 PM
looks like a lot of my accounts around now. its leaf season. not much ya can do, just keep cleaning em up.

thelawnguy
11-01-2001, 10:10 PM
Looks like an easy mulch lawn.

Sometimes its better to mulch and mow the lawn, run the blower over, mulch again, then toss the 5 gal pail of shreddings in the truck ;) if you pile em up first you just cause a big headache, in my experience.

Runner
11-01-2001, 11:01 PM
That's alot of leaves for such a tight area! The first pic reminds me of one of those really advanced "expert" jigsaw puzzles. Could you just see that picture in about 5000 pieces?:D

dlandscaping
11-01-2001, 11:23 PM
maybe not pieces but 50,000 leaves. i am getting paid well i think, i get $15 for the mow and then $75 to blow out the back bushes and haul all the leaves away. i am making a box on my 12 ft trailer which i hope will do the trick. ps i dumb for free but it is about 20-30 min drive each way, but next to my lesco dealer where i need to go anyway. i know people say for accurate job pricing you need to figure costs gas etc. i am just asking all of you how much you would charge for the job. my equipment was 2 stihl 400, 420 backpacks, billygoat 10hsp and rakes. thanks guys

K9LWT
11-01-2001, 11:32 PM
I would be charging much more than 15 for a mow and 75 for the leaves. How long did it take you? I think I would charge at LEAST 100 bucks.

little green guy
11-02-2001, 12:45 AM
I would get at least 100.00 to do the cleanup plus another 50.00 to get ride of the leaves and 30.00 to cut the lawn. Just a little trick, when the leave piles get decent sized we get out the mower and push the bulk of the leaves instead of messing around with rakes and tarps.

K9LWT
11-03-2001, 03:01 PM
I agree with the green guy, but I use the JRCO leaf plow-It's only effective on very large piles.

dlandscaping
11-03-2001, 07:06 PM
wow man i am losing money every day, this lady is wierd and a real penny pincher she has gotten away with snow removal for 15 when its about 1 ft high. it took about 2 hours to do all leaves and mow. the mowing takes about 15-30 with a 21 toro and 36 toro, edging trimming is 10 and blowing and clean up in front of house of all debri is about 15. i am really under charging. to dump the leaves it took us about 10 min to get the trailer into the driveway after grounding out several times, (the trailer is 6.5 by 12) we made the entire pile 1 load and that took about 30 min, 25 min drive and then 10 min dump and 25 min drive back. all in all a long job and the yard is covered again. when i looked at the yard she was like o well the guy last year used to do them little by little and never charged me to take the leaves away. he cut weekly until she said she didnt have the $40 a week to pay him to cut it so he changed to bi weekly and then stopped coming. i said that it was neccessary and would be $75 to remove them and she was like 75 dollars ur crazy then she agreed and i told her i would blow them out when all the leaves are down for no charge. she also said that next year she shouldnt have to pay like this. i will cut every 3 damm days if i do her next year. being in my real first year i needed any clients to be able to pay for my equip but these clients hurt more then help.

thelawnguy
11-03-2001, 11:16 PM
"wow man i am losing money every day, this lady is wierd and a real penny pincher "

No one's fault but your own.

Now go see Charles about some testosterone supplements since it appears your pair are hanging in a silk bag in this lady's parlor. :alien:

kris
11-04-2001, 09:45 AM
You got $90.00 for the job right?

You say "WE" so I am assuming it was 2 men (hope it was not 3)

2hours to do the job ...1 hour drive time ... total 3hrs x 2 = 6hrs

(I would also bet that this turned into a half day job in reality.)

$90.00 divided by 6 hrs= $15 per hour

Your comment about these clients hurting more than helping is correct

Just noticed that you said you would again blow them out for free when they are done falling? At those rates you are better off working for someone else... you'd make more.

gogetter
11-04-2001, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by dlandscaping
the mowing takes about 15-30 with a 21 toro and 36 toro, edging trimming is 10 and blowing and clean up in front of house of all debri is about 15 <snip> he cut weekly until she said she didnt have the $40 a week to pay him to cut it so he changed to bi weekly and then stopped coming

A few comments. First you give a range of 15-30 minutes to mow. That's a pretty big range.
Next, if you average the mowing to 22 minutes + 10 (trim/edge) + 15 (blowing/clean up?) + 3 (unload/reload equip) = 50 minutes, not to mention travel time and billing time.
Let's say there's only 10 minutes of travel time. That works out to $15 for an hour (again, not to mention billing/paperwork time).
You REALLY need to re-evaluate your pricing. Once you figure in equipment costs and fuel, you're working for free!
Then you mention that the previous guy was getting $40 to cut! I could see MAYBE going to $30-35.

dlandscaping
11-04-2001, 04:34 PM
i am going to really go high on my prices next year. the time for mowing is so different when i have a helper or not and if all the machines go well. sometimes i can use a 48 sometimes only a 21 depending on cars parked in the way or not. i am almost working for free, no travel time tho she lives next door. this is my first year and i didnt know what accurate prices were for other lcos in my area till now. i will be able to get bigger and better customers next year and charge more. i worked with a guy this summer whos been landscaping for 30 yrs and he charges each yard about $35-45 a cut and his lawns look like s**t. most of his lawns are all weed and crab grass and he discharges only and leaves s**t in front of the house, doesnt edge, it amazes me how he can stay in business. i will definately b able to grow big in my area and now i know how to make my money thanks guys.

Edited by Eric ELM