PDA

View Full Version : Kawa or Kohler engine on Lazer ZTR?

Bassman
01-19-2000, 03:04 PM
Leaning towards a Lazer Z HP (48&quot;) for first ZTR. Which engine would be the most reliable. Kawasaki V-Twin 19 HP or Kohler Command Pro 18 H.P.? Thanks for suggestions and reasons why. <br>

drturf
01-19-2000, 03:42 PM
well i like the kawy's in fact just bought a new HP48 last week with the 19hp kawy

bdemir
01-19-2000, 05:06 PM
Well id go with the kawasaki but ive heard good things about the kohler. the kaw is more quiet and runs a little smoother in my opinion. The quality is something i do not enough experience with. But from what ive heard and read the kohler holds up well and i s easy to get parts for.

Lazer
01-19-2000, 06:35 PM
Not even a decision with those choices. I've got a few Kaw 19's. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Our experience has been far better than that with the Kohlers.

drturf
01-19-2000, 06:37 PM
AMEN!! to that lazer

Cannonturf
01-20-2000, 05:38 AM
Kawasaki is a much better engine!<br>Dont sing the song of the kohlers BLUES!

Charles
01-20-2000, 05:44 AM
I had a 92John deere 420 20hp kohler. The engine lasted 2600 hrs with No repairs. I hope my Lazer last longer than that.But that was very good. I think anyone can a lemon when you buy anything. You can't just generalise every peice of equipment because you had a bad experience.

Lazer
01-20-2000, 05:49 AM
Charles, that is true.<p>But, when you've owned over 20 of them, can you start to generalize?<p>The only reason I kept buying Kohlers is because that was the only engine eXmark offered in the model I wanted.<p>My buddy got so sick of Kohlers, he ordered in 4 eXmarks without engines and put on 20hp Hondas. (which are pretty nice, too)<br>

gorrell
01-20-2000, 05:52 AM
I've had good and bad experiences with Kohler. I had a CV-22 that was wonderful until the warranty expired. Then it was 3 ignition modules, valve guides, valves, etc. Just a lemon. I have CV-22 still running with over a 1000 hrs and we never add any oil between changes(every 30-40 hrs). So go figure. Obviously Kohler makes good engines, because they outsell everyone else combined. It is obvious, though, that if you can possibly get a liquid cooled motor, that is your best bet. They run so much cooler that their lifespan usually triples an air cooled engine. I've got two 3 cylinder Kubotas on my grasshoppers and they are sweet running engines. My thoughts, Lynn Gorrell

Lazer
01-20-2000, 05:59 AM
The problems stated with your Kohler are standard. I've owned dozens and know what the units in my local dealer were in for. UPS could be profitable just delivering &quot;SAM&quot; modules. We replaced an average of 1 per unit/per year. That's a lot of ingnition modules.<p>Now as far as Kohler outselling all their competition combined? In what size/configuration range? More air-cooled engines than Briggs?<p>Anyway, I agree about the liquid cooled. It'll be interesting to see how the Kohler V-shaft liquid will do on mowers.

ztrmower
01-20-2000, 05:59 AM
kohler just released there new liquid cooled engine the &quot;agis&quot; which is greek for water. look for them soon at your dealer. <br>david

Cannonturf
01-20-2000, 06:01 AM
Charles. did it have Overhead valves.I have a couple of old kolhers 18hp singles on leaf loaders.They run great.But in the last 6 years our company has had a least 10 kohlers command 14 & 15's on our mowers.(Not by my choice.)<br>Your point on generalizing ,is a good point<br>but I have had more then one bad experience.<br>Good luck with the new Lazer<br>Nice machine<br>

Charles
01-21-2000, 04:05 AM
The point to all of this is to buy new equipment with a good warranty like I did. Have more than one piece of each equipment like I do. Hope you get all the bugs out before the warranty goes out. haha. Having dependable backups takes the most of the worry about breakdown. Because you are going to have breakdowns no matter what you buy. It comes with the territory. Spring hurry up and get here, cause I am bored silly:).

Eric ELM
01-21-2000, 06:22 AM
Lazer, I just figured out your problem. Your putting those Kohlers on the wrong brand of mower!!! LOL :)<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

hardz123
02-15-2000, 01:53 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about, I have two scag mowers that are over ten years old both with kohler engines on them and they both still work fine they run all week from monday untill friday, the larger mower 61 inch with 18 horsepower kohler is getting alittle tired but we used to use that to cut allot of grass with a sulky! That thing probably has 10,000 hrs on it! the 14 horse 48 has atleast half as many hours on it and it still cuts like a new machine!!!!

Lazer
02-15-2000, 02:22 PM
Those are the old Kohler Magnums. The ones w/ the problems are the Kohler Commands. From what I understand, the 1999's and newer are fine.<p>10,000 hours on an air-cooled is extraordinary. Most of these engines last 2,500-4,000 hours.

MOW ED
02-15-2000, 04:06 PM
My 1998 Kohler Command 25hp has had 2 major rebuilds in 2 years. First was a scored cylinder (not my fault warranty picked it up after investigation) at 120 hrs and the head gasket was shot after 400 hrs. I dont know what this year will bring. I have a Kohler Command Pro 15hp on a Toro that has been great thru the first 150 hrs.