PDA

View Full Version : Truck died. Ideas?

Scag48
02-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Well, my '94 F150 (I6 300) shut down on me today, first time since I've had it. Coasting along at 40 MPH, thud, lose all RPMS. It cranks like it wants to start, I'm pretty convinced it's fuel related. I've been having this issue for the last 3 or 4 months that when the truck is cold, maybe for the first 10 minutes of driving it, if I take off at a dead stop it'll play like it's not getting enough fuel even though my foot is in it and I'm clutching properly. This issue quits after she's warmed up. The truck has dual tanks and there should be a pump in each, right? I was thinking after I got the truck pulled over to switch over to the front tank and see if that doesn't fix the problem. Front tank doesn't have very much fuel in it, but I figured if the rear tank pump failed the front tank would at least get me started again. No go on that. I had just filled up the tank about 25 minutes before, not the best quality gas but I've never had any issues with it in this truck. After I filled up, I was cleaning the windshield and applying RainX so I let her idle for a good 10 minutes, drove for another 15 and then she quit on me, so I'm thinking if it was the gas I would have known a little quicker than that.

I'm pretty sure this is a fuel related problem, she cranks but will not start. Didn't check for spark. My buddy is an auto tech, already called him and left him a message. I'm just trying to nail down some ideas for some parking lot mechanic adventures. I wasn't too far from home, thankfully, truck is about 10 blocks away so I just walked back home. I've been thinking that with the issues I've been having, the fuel filter needed to be changed but here's the million dollar question: will a clogged filter actually stop the truck? Ideas guys? Figured I'd do a little brainstorming while I'm stuck here, the truck is my only vehicle at college. I'm about 2.5 months from buying a near new truck, as soon as I'm done with school my career starts and I'll be able to afford something decent. Until then, we'll be wrenching on our backs on cold pavement. :laugh:

hosejockey2002
02-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Since you just filled up my best guess would be a clogged fuel filter. If your filter was due to be changed anyway, maybe stirring up debris in the bottom of a nearly empty tank shoved enough crap into the filter to completely clog it.

Jason Rose
02-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Could be ignition module too... I know it's just a guess, but I had the same thing happen to me several years ago when I had a '93 chevy. Was crusing along on the highway and it just shut down. Would crank, but no spark. Might be an easy place to check, just confirm that you are getting a good spark.

Yes, it could be many things, and some bad fuel could also be the culprit.

Scag48
02-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys. Like I said, my best friend is a tech and works on Fords all day. He'll probably be able to figure it out easy enough, but I couldn't check spark by myself. I left the truck, told the business owner we'll be back tonight to get it running, if I can't get it running I'll have it towed back to my place. I just talked to my buddy, he's leaning toward the fuel filter being clogged. The truck cranks and almost tries to start, I wanted to sit there and keep cranking on it because I felt like it might start, so I think she's getting spark. We'll see though, he doesn't think it's too serious and we'll get everything figured out tonight.

We changed out the distrubutor, new plug wires and plugs earlier this spring, I'm not ruling out loss of spark due to ignition module, but we'll know in about 10 seconds whether it's spark related or fuel related. Either way, this doesn't seem to be terribly serious and we'll get her back on the road soon enough. Nothing like the last nightmare I had, the timing belt on my '98 Audi A4 snapped prematurely and cost me $6K to reuild the valvetrain, new belt, waterpump, everything. I have since sold that vehicle, but I don't want another nightmare like that. One good thing about Fords, cheap parts.

lawnwizards
02-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Well, my '94 F150 (I6 300) shut down on me today, first time since I've had it. Coasting along at 40 MPH, thud, lose all RPMS. It cranks like it wants to start, I'm pretty convinced it's fuel related. I've been having this issue for the last 3 or 4 months that when the truck is cold, maybe for the first 10 minutes of driving it, if I take off at a dead stop it'll play like it's not getting enough fuel even though my foot is in it and I'm clutching properly. This issue quits after she's warmed up. The truck has dual tanks and there should be a pump in each, right? I was thinking after I got the truck pulled over to switch over to the front tank and see if that doesn't fix the problem. Front tank doesn't have very much fuel in it, but I figured if the rear tank pump failed the front tank would at least get me started again. No go on that. I had just filled up the tank about 25 minutes before, not the best quality gas but I've never had any issues with it in this truck. After I filled up, I was cleaning the windshield and applying RainX so I let her idle for a good 10 minutes, drove for another 15 and then she quit on me, so I'm thinking if it was the gas I would have known a little quicker than that.

I'm pretty sure this is a fuel related problem, she cranks but will not start. Didn't check for spark. My buddy is an auto tech, already called him and left him a message. I'm just trying to nail down some ideas for some parking lot mechanic adventures. I wasn't too far from home, thankfully, truck is about 10 blocks away so I just walked back home. I've been thinking that with the issues I've been having, the fuel filter needed to be changed but here's the million dollar question: will a clogged filter actually stop the truck? Ideas guys? Figured I'd do a little brainstorming while I'm stuck here, the truck is my only vehicle at college. I'm about 2.5 months from buying a near new truck, as soon as I'm done with school my career starts and I'll be able to afford something decent. Until then, we'll be wrenching on our backs on cold pavement. :laugh:

my truck died like that recently. it was the distributor cap.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-06-2008, 09:48 PM
my truck died like that recently. it was the distributor cap.

I had a 2.8 in an s-10 do that one time....IT would get moisture in it and then as it ran would dry out and run ok.....last time it quit....replaced the dist. cap and ran like a champ....I put up with it for months for a 10 bux fix :nono:

wayne

J&R Landscaping
02-06-2008, 10:10 PM
I was thinking distributor issue as well. When you turn the iginition to ON, Can you hear the fuel pumps "cycling". Maybe flip your switch and check both tanks. Could also be a sending unit on the switch. How many miles does the truck have on it?

It may also be a fuel filter like some others are saying.

B&M
02-06-2008, 11:10 PM
idle air control just my .02

Gravel Rat
02-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Get some starting fluid give the engine a little snuff if it wants to start on it then the ignition is fine. A scanner will tell you what is wrong if your friend has a portable snap on scanner plug it into the data port it should give you some idea what is wrong.

It could be flooding itself and yes a fuel injected engine can flood itself if the Nox censor is shot. It is easy to check if you got fuel to the fuel rail by cranking the truck over and pressing the scherador (sp) valve on the fuel rail. It looks like a tire stem it will spray gas in your face if you have good pressure.

If you have no pressure when cranking it or even with the key on then you got fuel problems.

Scag48
02-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Alright, here's the deal. Truck isn't getting spark, so it's not fuel related like I had thought. My buddy came out, he took a look at it, not getting spark. At this point, I had it towed back to my house so I can work on it here. Gotta ride the bus, I really enjoy that. :hammerhead: We're planning on working on it Saturday. When you turn the key to the on position, everything sounds normal, seems the pumps are cycling and all that. My buddy is thinking cam sensor or something along those lines, but I'm not sure how that would not produce spark. My first thought was ignition module after we determined no spark.

I will check fuel pressure later today and make sure that she's getting fuel, although I don't think that's the issue, but I'll check it anyway. Thanks everyone.

topsites
02-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Guys I think this approach is wrong, no argument about it if we don't know what's wrong but I think this truck is in dire need of some standard maintenance, more than likely that is the problem.

The first things to check for is air, fuel, and spark.
You check for air by removing the air filter box so the throttle body is open, there now it's getting air.
Fuel is a bit trickier with EFI's so to check for spark you really need to run down to Harbor Freight Tools and for a dollar buy an inline spark plug tester, matter of fact buy 3-4 of those.

Now that you know it is the spark but you're still unsure of the cause, the approach is to ALWAYS fix the cheapest thing first, when I don't know what it is then I start throwing cheap parts at it in the order of cheapest and go on up to the slightly more expensive and keep doing that.

So try the cap and rotor, they only cost 10 dollars but do it right and get a high performance one as they only cost 5 dollars more, make sure you get the HP kind they last much longer.

While you're buying parts go ahead and get a fuel filter, take care of this stuff then there's less guessing later.
But do that first, you're out 25-40 bucks thus far.

If that doesn't fix it I would be for testing the coil next.
Remove the coil and shake it, if it sounds like it has water in it that means it's bad.
If you're to this point or if it makes no sound go ahead and buy a coil anyhow, I think it's a good idea to always have a spare coil lying around and I would also get an after market round cylinder kind one vs. the OEM (unless your OEM is a round cylinder kind).
Install that, you should be getting something by now.

Then I would also replace the spark plug wires with some decent Accel high performance ones, and replace the spark plugs too.
Now change oil and filter, the air filter and pcv valve and breather cap, too.
2-300 bucks and an afternoon should set all of that straight, and I can't guarantee the truck will run but I'd say there's a fine chance it will, that's on top of the fact you just took care of a slew of regular maintenance, this is the kind of stuff needs to be replaced every so often, usually a crappy running vehicle is a good clue :)

grass_cuttin_fool
02-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Oh I forgot this....a few weeks ago I was watching some truck show on spike tv I think and they had a fuel delivery problem, to get to the fix........there is a filter/screen/bag in the tank over the inlet and from time to time with age they loose their shape and suck together and cut off the fuel supply also.....if all of the other easy fix items dont do it ya might try that

wayne

Scag48
02-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to replace the distrubutor cap anyway, it's $10. I bought a new fuel filter yesterday, will take care of that as well. I'll check the coil as well. The truck ran awesome before she died, seriously, so it's kind of a sudden surprise.

Scag48
02-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Just an update, it was the ignition control module, the fender mounted unit. Apparently there's another one that mounts to the distrubutor as well, but we changed out the fender unit and she runs. Got the part for $50 from Schucks, we threw it in there, truck fired up. Ran a little rough at first, lots of fuel in the system from all the cranking. Other than that, she runs. Didn't replace the distrubutor cap or coil, the ignition unit was the only culprit. Thanks for everyone's help.

lawnwizards
02-09-2008, 09:04 PM
glad you got it fixed. :drinkup:

Jason Rose
02-09-2008, 10:38 PM
woo hoo! What do I win for knowing what was wrong with it first???

Of course when mine crapped out it was in the distributer, and cost a pretty penny to replace too...

Scag48
02-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Hahaha, only good thing about driving old truck is cheap parts.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Glad it was a simple fix and thanx for letting us know....alot of threads people start and you never know what happens in the end

wayne