PDA

View Full Version : No stain - Fe

rcreech
02-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Do any of you know of an liquid Fe source that I can use in my PG at low volume that also wouldn't stain sidewalks, houses and the white cat etc?

Thanks,
RC

Jason Rose
02-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Ok, this dosn't answer your question, but I didn't know you could run Fe through a PG. I figured it was too low volume for that.

FdLLawnMan
02-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Do any of you know of an liquid Fe source that I can use in my PG at low volume that also wouldn't stain sidewalks, houses and the white cat etc?

Thanks,
RC

Rodney

Check out this product from Lesco/JDL. It is a liquid product, Part No. 088184. I know they used it in Minnesota last year. It was never approved in Wisconsin but hopefully will be this year. You apply it at 1/2 to 2/3 gallon per acre so I don't know if it will work in a Permagreen.

FdLLawnMan
02-06-2008, 06:28 PM
After posting the previous post I read the label closer. The minimum dilution in 1:100 so I don't think it will work with a PermaGreen. Thats to bad because this stuff looks pretty interesting.

rider
02-06-2008, 06:36 PM
lesco cares a 4-4-5 chelated iron , 2oz per 1000. that's a 100 oz per 50000, or a perma green tankful ,low staining formula. . i used last year with excellant results,4 weeks of green up, plus i was not staining the stucco buildings like i was when using the 12-0-0 chelated.

Jason Rose
02-06-2008, 08:29 PM
lesco cares a 4-4-5 chelated iron , 2oz per 1000. that's a 100 oz per 50000, or a perma green tankful ,low staining formula. . i used last year with excellant results,4 weeks of green up, plus i was not staining the stucco buildings like i was when using the 12-0-0 chelated.

cool! Thanks to this thread I'm going to look into this further (prices, etc.) I would love to incorperate Iron applications into my program on some properties but I don't have a large enough tank sprayer to do the 12-0-0 chelated efficiently. Sounds like the 4-4-5 'low stain" may be the answer :)

rcreech
02-06-2008, 09:45 PM

RIDER,

THANKS MAN!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!

I love this site.

I will check on this!

Did you use in your PG? Do you have any idea what the cost/k is?

Thanks again,
RC

rider
02-07-2008, 12:48 AM
do not have a current cost,2.5 gallons is a little pricey but when you work it per 1000sq ft, the cost is more then half of regular 2.5 jug of chelated iron, do not think it went up that much this year, I need to call Lesco. sprayed it through the PG ok, we were having a rainy week so it received enough water to be effective, which was my only worry. the nice thing about the 4-4-5 is that you can mix it with ThreeWay or any herbicide and not have a compatibility problem like you do with regular chelated iron

rider
02-07-2008, 12:56 AM
jeez, spend five minutes looking for the label and the product is on the front page, love lesco but they really need to change their website

Jason Rose
02-07-2008, 01:11 AM
jeez, spend five minutes looking for the label and the product is on the front page, love lesco but they really need to change their website

I believe we can thank John Deere for the demise of the Lesco website... Most of the actual information was removed from the site about the time of the takeover.

Shades of Green LService
02-07-2008, 10:39 AM
try this http://pbigordon.com/professional/page.php?id=514
Also JD and Lesco will be consolidating databases this year, so the web site should be better than before. We just have to wait until then for a much better web site.

green_mark
02-07-2008, 12:20 PM
We have an 8-0-5 with iron that provides a very nice dark green color, slow growth and helps control weeds.

The cost ranges between 2.00 -3.00 per 1,000 depending on volumes.

email me for labels

mmiles@TheGreenGuardian.com

Mscotrid
02-07-2008, 01:16 PM
do not have a current cost,2.5 gallons is a little pricey but when you work it per 1000sq ft, the cost is more then half of regular 2.5 jug of shielded iron, do not think it went up that much this year, I need to call Lesco. sprayed it through the PG ok, we were having a rainy week so it received enough water to be effective, which was my only worry. the nice thing about the 4-4-5 is that you can mix it with ThreeWay or any herbicide and not have a compatibility problem like you do with regular chelated iron

Just a added note the 4-4-5 goes down 1.2 - 2 oz per 1000. Th old Chelated iron goes down 6-9- oz per 1000. If you run your actual cost on the ground using low and hi end rates you find your cost per 1000 less than older iron. example..

Old Chelated with potential staining say $50.00 per case 2x2.5
@ 6oz per 1000 = $0.47 per 1000
@ 9oz per 1000 = $0.70 per 1000

New non staining say @ $110.00 per 2x2.5 case
@1.5oz per 1000 = $0.26 per 1000
@2 oz per 1000 = $0.35 per 1000

The thing I always try to remember is bag/jug price are important but cost on the ground is the deciding factor.

rcreech
02-07-2008, 08:02 PM
We have an 8-0-5 with iron that provides a very nice dark green color, slow growth and helps control weeds.

The cost ranges between 2.00 -3.00 per 1,000 depending on volumes.

email me for labels

mmiles@TheGreenGuardian.com

I am not looking for GOLD...I am looking for Fe.

You must really be proud of your product to charge that much for a micro.

WOW!

green_mark
02-08-2008, 03:33 PM
I am not looking for GOLD...I am looking for Fe.

You must really be proud of your product to charge that much for a micro.

WOW!

Actually...it's more of a black color! lol

Anyway to describe further. It's totals out as 1 quart per 1,000 and has a large list of trace elements, Thatch decomposers, surfactants, humates, weed control properties, etc.

So yes, if it were just iron and you wanted a blend of a nice inexpensive organic chelate to green with no other properties we do make custom blends to yours specs and it should be less expensive than your traditional alternatives.

Call me at 651-295-8388 or pm me if you want a specific quote.

tgnb
02-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Sorry to change directions, but if you do stain something, break out some RustAid. It comes in gallon jugs (copper colored) at Home Depot. It's literally spray and walk away. I keep a bottle in every truck for the white mailbox posts. Works great on the trucks, too.

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Sorry to change directions, but if you do stain something, break out some RustAid. It comes in gallon jugs (copper colored) at Home Depot. It's literally spray and walk away. I keep a bottle in every truck for the white mailbox posts. Works great on the trucks, too.

How does it do on vinyl?

tgnb
02-11-2008, 09:20 AM
How does it do on vinyl?

Perfectly. I had a new customer call last summer after his first app because he saw some staining along the bottom of his brand new PVC fence. He said he spent two hours with every cleaner under the sun AND his pressure washer, all to no avail. I came over with a bottle and voila! Ten seconds (and half the money off his app to show some goodwill) and he was amazed.

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Perfectly. I had a new customer call last summer after his first app because he saw some staining along the bottom of his brand new PVC fence. He said he spent two hours with every cleaner under the sun AND his pressure washer, all to no avail. I came over with a bottle and voila! Ten seconds (and half the money off his app to show some goodwill) and he was amazed.

Yikes. I had to scrub two last season... with poor results and a LOT of time wasted... Good to know. Will be acquiring that immediately...

boats47
02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Check your filters periodically the iron has a tendency to build up on the finer mesh screens. And always remember "SHAKE THOSE JUGS"...... of iron

rcreech
02-11-2008, 08:46 PM
I am really torn right now on Fe!

In the past I have always applied fert with 2% Fe, but this year my dry fert will not contain Fe so I was thinking of adding it in liquid form with my PG.

I called my Lesco man today and he said that that 2%Fe and adding liquid to my tank would only have a green up of about 3-4 weeks and then it wouldn't be as noticable.

What do you guys think? For the added cost is it worth adding to the tank. My Lesco man has been around this stuff for 30 yrs and he says I am wasting my money as most LCO's don't use Fe.

Not saying that I want to be like the others...but I also don't want to drop a bunch of cash if isn't going to help much!

What do you all think?

Thanks,
RC

Runner
02-11-2008, 09:17 PM
3 or 4 weeks is a bit on the generous side for how long this stuff would last. I know that the 2% that comes in the granular ferts lasts about 2 weeks and it is gone. 2% isn't enough to write home to mother for, that's for sure. The little trace that it is is really not even worth the run-up in cost that it does. Now granted, if it came in a higher percentage, it wouldn't run the cost up that much higher, but man,...they sure increase the cost of a bag for that little bit (2%) of fe.

MnLefty
02-11-2008, 09:24 PM
I am really torn right now on Fe!

In the past I have always applied fert with 2% Fe, but this year my dry fert will not contain Fe so I was thinking of adding it in liquid form with my PG.

I called my Lesco man today and he said that that 2%Fe and adding liquid to my tank would only have a green up of about 3-4 weeks and then it wouldn't be as noticable.

What do you guys think? For the added cost is it worth adding to the tank. My Lesco man has been around this stuff for 30 yrs and he says I am wasting my money as most LCO's don't use Fe.

Not saying that I want to be like the others...but I also don't want to drop a bunch of cash if isn't going to help much!

What do you all think?

Thanks,
RC

With a sound fertility program you could likely skip the Fe... I've always looked at iron as a little shot of "green up" without putting down the N. It would be good in between rounds as the deep green of a recent app is starting to fade, but you're not ready to come with the next round... The green effect from the N will easily outlast the iron, so I would probably go without it... unless you're going to be on property making herbicide treatments in between regular rounds of fert. If you wanted to add iron then you could, but I'd also recommend serious compatibility testing prior to going all out with it.

Of course that recommendation is without any knowledge of your soils... if you have plenty of iron available that makes it easy... if sampling shows an iron deficiency, or higher pH levels, 7.5 and above where iron is not easily utilized, then I'd try to find a way to keep it in your program.

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Once I started using Fe in my treatments, I was amazed. I'll never NOT use Fe again. Out here where there's so much watering (and, thus, leeching out of nutrients) the use of Fe makes a HUGE difference. If the lawn needs the Fe, I'd say 3-4 weeks is reasonable. It'll go deep green and fade, but it'll still look better than not having it in there.

Again, that's just out here in the mtns. So, as you are all aware, my results may not necessarily apply to you.

Newby08
02-11-2008, 10:00 PM
my fe is in the pg and its a real b but the p is that i dont know what all these abbreviations? if thats the right w mean. Can someone help me with all these 2 letter abreviations? just the generic ones that are everywhere. I know I'm a stupid Newb so please just try and tolerate my stupid questions.

Thanks

The Newb

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-11-2008, 11:11 PM
my fe is in the pg and its a real b but the p is that i dont know what all these abbreviations? if thats the right w mean. Can someone help me with all these 2 letter abreviations? just the generic ones that are everywhere. I know I'm a stupid Newb so please just try and tolerate my stupid questions.

Thanks

The Newb

W.T.F.? U R A RETRD.

I'm just kidding. Couldn't resist.

Fe=Iron
pH=pH (concentration of hydrogen ions...)
PG=Perma-Green
PVC=Polyvinyl Chloride (you know, pipe??)
LOT= (usually alludes to a large quantity or amount)
GOLD=You know, the stuff heaven's streets are paved with?
/K= per thousand square feet
LOL= laugh out loud (or) lots of laughs
JDL=John Deere Landscaping
etc=etcetera

I think that covers it.

Seriously???

Newby08
02-11-2008, 11:13 PM
LOL, I thought it was pretty good...

I appreciate it.

by the way... what is WTF?

Just kidding.,
The Newb

rcreech
02-11-2008, 11:16 PM
LOL, I thought it was pretty good...

I appreciate it.

by the way... what is WTF?

Just kidding.,
The Newb

Now that is funny!

You guys are crazy!

I love this site!

BTW....good job using the LOL Newby!

FdLLawnMan
02-12-2008, 01:25 AM
If your PH levels are above 7.5 the effects of granular iron are minimal. I have been using it for years because my fertilizer was blended with it. I sprayed several lawns with chelated iron last year and was amazed at the green of the lawns. Lasted about 4 weeks at the most though.

Runner
02-12-2008, 12:15 PM
/K= per thousand square feet

Incidentally, you will in many case see the term /M, which equals per thousand, as well. You see it especially in this forum (fert. and pesticide), as k is also used many times to represent potassium (see table of elements). Using the M avoids confusion, such as when we are comparing rates of other elements to potassium. The M comes from the Roman numeral 1000.:)

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Incidentally, you will in many case see the term /M, which equals per thousand, as well. You see it especially in this forum (fert. and pesticide), as k is also used many times to represent potassium (see table of elements). Using the M avoids confusion, such as when we are comparing rates of other elements to potassium. The M comes from the Roman numeral 1000.:)

Ahhhhh, but you're omitting the fine distinction between "K" (potassium) and "k" (thousand)!

Ha. I'm just fooling around...