PDA

View Full Version : What percentage increase you doing with fert prices?

colawn
02-06-2008, 05:22 PM
As we all know fert prices are much higher on a year over year basis. I am starting to put together prices for 08 and was wondering how much you guys are going up this year. I talked with suppliers today and our prices are about 60-70% higher on a year over year basis. So what are you guys going to do. I know we can't eat it as this is too much but the client may not be willing to pay the 70% increase to keep margins. I will most likely go up more on fert only clients and a little less on the full service clients since we are already there so our margins are quite good already on those accounts.

ted putnam
02-06-2008, 06:05 PM
As we all know fert prices are much higher on a year over year basis. I am starting to put together prices for 08 and was wondering how much you guys are going up this year. I talked with suppliers today and our prices are about 60-70% higher on a year over year basis. So what are you guys going to do. I know we can't eat it as this is too much but the client may not be willing to pay the 70% increase to keep margins. I will most likely go up more on fert only clients and a little less on the full service clients since we are already there so our margins are quite good already on those accounts.

I went through this about a month ago. Just keep in mind that % in fertilizer price does not equal % increase in price. If you want to keep your profit margin about the same put a $ figure on what everything has increased and try to get your % increase in price to match that $ figure.

ant
02-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I increased 100 lawns that needed it this season 7% and so far 7 dropped me.

colawn
02-06-2008, 07:32 PM
I went through this about a month ago. Just keep in mind that % in fertilizer price does not equal % increase in price. If you want to keep your profit margin about the same put a $ figure on what everything has increased and try to get your % increase in price to match that $ figure.

that is very true I was just trying to get a feel for what others are doing as we have not had to deal with this kind of price increase really ever. I know fuel has gone up but when it comes down to it that is easy to pass along b/c the customer knows and sees that. Fert on the other hand is kinda indivisible to the customer

ted putnam
02-06-2008, 08:39 PM
that is very true I was just trying to get a feel for what others are doing as we have not had to deal with this kind of price increase really ever. I know fuel has gone up but when it comes down to it that is easy to pass along b/c the customer knows and sees that. Fert on the other hand is kinda indivisible to the customer

You are right...It is a tough call to make...I know most of the LCO's around here went up at least 7% and if I was a betting man I would say they probably went up better than 10%. My brother-in-law, a dentist by trade, had an interesting piece of advice for me last summer. He said "Ted, If they aren't bitching about the price, you aren't charging enough." I don't know that I would actually carry it that far but I do know I had a substantial raise in price and I've only lost 12 customers so far, and no bitching yet!

James Cormier
02-06-2008, 10:33 PM

I am not raising my prices on current customers. New sales have a different price structure then current customers so I will increase those prices.

Im in the mind set that you dont raise prices when things are bad and everyone else is raising prices. When things are good is when I raise prices, customers dont notice it as much. Back about 5 or 6 years ago I had a major price increase, but because times were good no one noticed.

So my current contract that just was mailed out a few weeks ago says " unlike many service companies in our area we are not raising our prices due to increase fuel and fertilizer costs" People are thanking me and signing up!

rcreech
02-06-2008, 10:43 PM
You are the first person that I have heard that has taken this route!

Hope it works for you!

I raised my current customers 6% and new customers (signing up from now on) 8%.

I send a letter that stated EVERYONE will be raising their prices due to the increased cost of fert and fuel.

So far so good! Have not lost one yet!

EA Quinn
02-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I went up between 17-18%.

Grassbuster
02-07-2008, 11:56 AM
I am not raising my prices on current customers. New sales have a different price structure then current customers so I will increase those prices.

Im in the mind set that you dont raise prices when things are bad and everyone else is raising prices. When things are good is when I raise prices, customers dont notice it as much. Back about 5 or 6 years ago I had a major price increase, but because times were good no one noticed.

So my current contract that just was mailed out a few weeks ago says " unlike many service companies in our area we are not raising our prices due to increase fuel and fertilizer costs" People are thanking me and signing up!

I like your approach...:usflag:

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-07-2008, 01:55 PM

I've seen where that can get out of hand, however. In some subdivisions where I have multiple properties next to each other & neighbors talk, they can get upset wondering why you are "screwing" them , if you price their's more than the neighbors, just because they are a newer customer.

I guess I figure if they complain & drop you over a legit price increse, then they weren't a very good cust, or you are doing that great of a job anyway;)