PDA

View Full Version : Expanded metal or wood floor?

CuttinUP
02-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Do you like a trailer with expanded metal or wood floor for ZTR, Walk behind mowers? Why?

tb8100
02-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Expanded metal is nice, but if you get a thick enough gauge, it may weigh more than wood.

tb8100
02-06-2008, 07:46 PM
It also costs a small fortune.

Danscapes
02-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Its cheap, I just bought a 4'X8' sheet of expanded metal for $54. I dont personally have a flat trailer, I have a dump trailer, but I think it would be nice to be able to wash the grass right through the floor when it needs it. And how many hillbilly trailer do you see with warped lumber bouncing around on the road? The only thing I would see being a problem with expanded metal is bracing under your mowers.

tamadrummer
02-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I love having treated wood on for the deck in my trailer. You can screw all kinds of stuff into it and then remove it and move stuff around and if a board rots out, its a simple cheap change out of one board not an entire deck for the expanded metal.

I don't see how expanded holds up to the daily beating of lawn service.

Lugnut
02-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I prefer wood, I think its stronger than expanded metal for a floor.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-06-2008, 10:23 PM
with the metal...its slicker and plus you couldnt haul a load of mulch on it either

wayne

CuttinUP
02-06-2008, 10:36 PM
I have the metal floor on my current trailer (5X13) and the metal keeps breaking at the welds just at one place where the sheet ends and another sheet meet. I am going to order a larger trailer this spring like a 6.4 X 13 and I am thinking Treated lumber. It sounds like most people like it better.

laird006
02-06-2008, 11:01 PM
I would hate to have expanded metal on a entire floor. I had to reweld my split gate because of how weak it is and how easily it tears. I'd rather have a wood floor.

tb8100
02-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Its cheap, I just bought a 4'X8' sheet of expanded metal for $54. I dont personally have a flat trailer, I have a dump trailer, but I think it would be nice to be able to wash the grass right through the floor when it needs it. And how many hillbilly trailer do you see with warped lumber bouncing around on the road? The only thing I would see being a problem with expanded metal is bracing under your mowers.

What gauge was that? You'd need at least 7 gauge for it to be nice and strong.

TomberLawn
02-06-2008, 11:36 PM
When my dad was shopping for a trailer to haul our 3320 John Deere, we saw some expanded metal floor trailers at one place. I climbed up on it and started jumping and the floor bounced like a trampoline. Needless to say, we kept looking for a treated wood floor.
The trailer we bought had regular floor screws that were breaking off. I bought some carriage bolts, took out the floor screws, and now I have a very solid floor. It's easy to add tie-downs to wood floors, as long as you drill into a cross member or frame rail for strength.