PDA

View Full Version : Design help needed with not much to light?

Eden Lights
02-06-2008, 07:46 PM
This is a space that I am really having trouble with, the client has seen some of our courtyards and bistro dining areas and wants to remove the fans and improve the space. There is just not alot to work with. I have been looking at this all day and the only thing I can come up with is some flood lights up into the white canopy and supports and some pendants hanging that might really improve the look? Any ideas???

Az Gardener
02-06-2008, 08:11 PM
This sounds cheesy I know but the look is great so bear with me. I have used some lights that we picked up from Crate and Barrel that give a great soft relaxed mood light, it has a yellow aged look. Everyone that sees them for the first time remarks how relaxing the lighting is. I apologize I don't have a name or link but here is what they look like.

They look like a strand of C-5 or C-7 Christmas lights (which ever one is smaller) they have clear globes that are a little bit bigger than golf balls. We hang them on pergolas with about a 12"-16" swag. You could do the same thing on those steel trusses. I have also seen a more industrial type at some outdoor patio restaurants here in town.

I get lots of compliments on them. They are not low voltage and I would put them on a dimmer as they can be too bright depending on what mood you are going for. I will try and turn up a picture or link. They were only available seasonally and I have not been able to find them for the last couple of years but I have not looked too hard.

TPnTX
02-06-2008, 08:32 PM
flood lights? Man you need some rest.

You may try experimenting with grazing the building wall up into the upper space as well as some shapes onto the canopy. It kinda screams tech-ish. It needs color like a blueish lens. Maybe its a perfect place for LEDS?

Edgewater
02-06-2008, 09:17 PM
I will start off by saying that I have little experience in lighting design.

What about some fixtures that shine up and down the wall. I have seen some stainless sheet fabbed int a channel mounted vertically. One bullet pointing up, and one down.

Jut a thought

Pro-Scapes
02-06-2008, 09:21 PM
is there a theme or style to this eating establishment ? Is this like cocktails at night ? bar type of food ? what kind of resturaunt is it Eddie ?

Leave the fans... they are a comfort factor but yank the light fixtures off of em or get ones without lights on em. On a hot summers night I always appreciate a good fan. Without the area being comfortable no one will be out there to enjoy your lighting.

Lite4
02-06-2008, 10:21 PM
I would agree with Billy about leaving the fans. Have you considered mounting white powder coated lights to the top of the steel trusses just above that outside half wall that is tiled. If you pointed them up into the volume of the overhanging ceiling, you should get a very soft and even reflection off of the white surface down to the floor space. convert the carriage lights to sconces, which was a good suggestion. I would put the fan lights and the sconces on a dimmer to control the line voltage output to create the right mood.

pete scalia
02-06-2008, 10:32 PM
spot light over every table. Put the light where it's needed. why bring the eye up into that ugly space above all that metal.

Lite4
02-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Those tables are not fastened to the floor and therefore will get moved slightly. The light will not be directly over the tables all the time. Especially if they change the seating arrangements around. That was my first thought though too Pete.

NightLightingFX
02-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Eddie,
As you mentioned there isn't a lot to work with. The environment looks kind of stale. You said the client wants to improve the space. Are they going to make some aesthetic improvements to make the space look and feel more warm? What I would do is install moon lighting up in the rafters using the blue lens. Resulting in linear shadows casted down in the space. If the space aesthetically improved then I think the moon lighting might help create a romantic atmosphere at night. If the space doesn't have any aesthetic improvements the shadows will probably be distracting and cold. I have pergola on my back porch. I have moonlighting shining through it at night. In the case of my patio and pergola, the shadows are really neat.
~Ned

Eden Lights
02-06-2008, 10:43 PM
flood lights? Man you need some rest.

You may try experimenting with grazing the building wall up into the upper space as well as some shapes onto the canopy. It kinda screams tech-ish. It needs color like a blueish lens. Maybe its a perfect place for LEDS?

Nothing can go on the ground at all for several reasons. Flood: Wide illumination from the supports aimed across the canopy toward the building providing indirect light and possibly providing a glow of the canopy from the outside of the canopy? NO?

Eden Lights
02-06-2008, 10:46 PM
is there a theme or style to this eating establishment ? Is this like cocktails at night ? bar type of food ? what kind of resturaunt is it Eddie ?

Leave the fans... they are a comfort factor but yank the light fixtures off of em or get ones without lights on em. On a hot summers night I always appreciate a good fan. Without the area being comfortable no one will be out there to enjoy your lighting.

Upscale Sports Bar (Hilton), Fans are coming out and the look is not what the client wants.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-06-2008, 10:54 PM
It it were me, I would sell the client on just what Pete said. Moonlight all of the tables, each with its own fully shielded source. This will put the light where it is needed and take attention away from that gawd awful ceiling space.

Do not use any blue filters! They are clearly serving food there. You want as high a CRI as you can get. A halogen lamp with a CRI of about 82 will do just fine, you dont want to alter the colour of the food on the plates.

The only caveat will be that the tables will have to stay in place for this to be effective. The management will have to be aware of this and willing to accept it.

Short of that.... place one of those very funky, cordless, rechargeable LED Candles from Bulbrite on every table. It is amazing how much light these things provide when used in multiples across a space. http://www.bulbrite.com/catalog/index.php?collection_id=12&subcollection_id=231&product_id=4120#4120

Eden Lights
02-06-2008, 10:55 PM
spot light over every table. Put the light where it's needed. why bring the eye up into that ugly space above all that metal.

Good point, I guess that's why I didn't like my only idea.

Eden Lights
02-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Those tables are not fastened to the floor and therefore will get moved slightly. The light will not be directly over the tables all the time. Especially if they change the seating arrangements around. That was my first thought though too Pete.

New tables are coming, I don't know how many yet.

Eden Lights
02-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Everyone's ideas are a great help, I have a day or two on this one so keep them coming if you think of anthing else. Thanks again.

Pro-Scapes
02-06-2008, 11:05 PM
wait til the space is set. Scones on the walls then spots on the tables would look cool.

Is that a server area at the far end ? couple hanging lights over there maybe ?

We went to a newer deli last week which had great food but the pendants over the table were OBNOXIOUS to say the least... too low and they had wide MR bulbs in them. The reflector was just catching the light straight into my eyes. Very nice fixture... lamp was too bright and uncomfortable. If your going to spotlights the tables see about getting that ceiling painted black to hide it further. This would be to your advantage when wiring as well

pete scalia
02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
It it were me, I would sell the client on just what Pete said. Moonlight all of the tables, each with its own fully shielded source. This will put the light where it is needed and take attention away from that gawd awful ceiling space.

Do not use any blue filters! They are clearly serving food there. You want as high a CRI as you can get. A halogen lamp with a CRI of about 82 will do just fine, you dont want to alter the colour of the food on the plates.

The only caveat will be that the tables will have to stay in place for this to be effective. The management will have to be aware of this and willing to accept it.

Short of that.... place one of those very funky, cordless, rechargeable LED Candles from Bulbrite on every table. It is amazing how much light these things provide when used in multiples across a space. http://www.bulbrite.com/catalog/index.php?collection_id=12&subcollection_id=231&product_id=4120#4120

Thank you Mr. Solecki. I may just mix some granola in with my breakfast cereal tomorrow morning. Maybe your not so bad afterall.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Thank you Mr. Solecki. I may just mix some granola in with my breakfast cereal tomorrow morning. Maybe your not so bad afterall.

Good idea Mr. Scalia. It does help keep you 'regular' after all.