PDA

View Full Version : Corpcode

ZX12R
02-06-2008, 08:51 PM
I am buying a new truck awaiting the dealer to get all the papers together.He calls me today and asks if I have a "corpcode". I told him I never heard of that,so,obviously,I do not have one. I haveto go to motor vehicles and pick up an application tomorrow.

For those who have one,what's it for,why do you need one,and are there any downfalls in having one? I assume its another way to dip into our pockets.:confused:

SimonCX
02-06-2008, 09:01 PM
From what I remember it was an application and a letter with your business name on the header and basic info(tax id #, location, phone) they tell exactly what is needed. After you file they call you in 5-7 days with the corp # from the main trenton office. I don't think it cost anything just paperwork, without it you can't register a truck as commercial thats what its mainly for.

LB1234
02-09-2008, 10:36 AM
In the state of new jersey in order to register something commericially you need to have a Corporation Identification Number (Corpcode). And yes we had to sent in a sentence or two of info on company letterhead. no big deal. Call your state DMV.

My understanding its a way the wonderful NJDMV can place a name to a number. YOu basically use it to register/renew vehicles in your business name.

paponte
02-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Never heard of the term corpcode, but I know we use our federal ID# on anything that goes under the corporate name.

ZX12R
02-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.I went to DMV with my letterhead,corporate tax return,tax id#,my original corporation documents and everything else. They told me they need to see my "formation papers",which I did not have.:cry:Tuesday,I am going to Trenton to pick them up,then,back to DMV to send my application for a Corpcode,which is a 15 digit number. This sucks,but,oh well.

By the way,for anyone who has a Corpcode,I heard that you can use this at dealerships to purchase vehicles at fleet prices.I do not know how true it is,but,I just want to pass this info on.

Also,is it necessary to register a truck of 17,500 lbs commercially,or can you put it in your personal name to avoid a corpcode or is it wise to due it commercially? I am Just curious.

SimonCX
02-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Yup, that sounds right I had to go back 2 times before everything was right. If your going to trenton get ready to wait in line, but you only need to do it once to get the corpcode. You can register any truck in your name but remember if something happens and someone sue's they can sue you not only your company which is not a good thing. Register it under the company name, there's no way around it if you want to grow your company.

meets1
02-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Fed ID # all work the same. Cert. of insurance, sale permit, and DBA goes along way. Just bought a new truck and they asked about this and I was prepared and it worked for me.