PDA

View Full Version : Resizing valve guides in a 17 hp Kawisaki

Wing 97
02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Has anybody tried to re-size the valve guides in a 17 hp Kawasaki? My local machine shop does have small enough tools to do the job so I am trying find a resizing kit to do the job. I believe the guides are 6mm? They are not replaceable from Kawasaki unless you buy the complete head. (140 a piece) If anybody has any ideas let me know. Thanks

MowerMedic77
02-06-2008, 09:09 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040

Wing 97
02-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Kawasaki FH500V-BS09. The engine smokes on initial start up a little worse when its colder. After about 20 to 40 seconds it goes away, It runs smooth and starts easy every time. Maybe a little loss of power but nothing to crazy. The motor is on a 52 inch scag walk behind. It is about 6 years old (Advantage Deck) used much more in the first 3. I hate to put a new engine on it because I only use it for a couple accounts that I can't the rider on and it still runs good all in all. It has been acting like this for a few years.

MowerMedic77
02-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Have you tried just replacing the valve guide seals to see if this helps your issue? Along with performing a valve lash adjustment may be all you need.
the guide seals are item#92049-7001 and you would need 4 total.
Here is a link to your engine breakdown.
http://www.buykawpower.com/kmcb2c/Menu?action=CATALOGB2B&prodID=2868330&elementType=2&historyDepth=2

Wing 97
02-06-2008, 10:17 PM
About 3 years ago when the problem first arose in the off season I did replace the valve seals but it did not stop smoking (blue smoke). I recently took the top end apart and can see there is definitely some play in 3 of the guides but 1 is more than the others.

MowerMedic77
02-06-2008, 10:42 PM
About 3 years ago when the problem first arose in the off season I did replace the valve seals but it did not stop smoking (blue smoke). I recently took the top end apart and can see there is definitely some play in 3 of the guides but 1 is more than the others.

Ok that answers that:laugh: I have seen units drop the exhaust valve guide from build up on the cooling fins, causing the head to overheat. And as you are already aware the guides are not available. I replaced the head on those units. I don't know of any re-sizing kit but maybe someone else does or has a fix for this issue. Sorry I could not be more help, good luck:)

khouse
02-06-2008, 11:10 PM
If your machine shop has the tools have them knurl the guides.

Wing 97
02-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all of your replies MowerMedic77! I will admit I could have done better maintenance. So I guess I am going to pay now. Khouse my, local machine shop doesn't have small enough knurling tool to take care of the guides. I am trying to come up with the tools to do it myself but not sure of the correct size. I believe the shop measured the valve stem at 6mm but I need to be sure before I order the tools.

Ironic
02-07-2008, 11:51 AM
just curious...would it be possible to drill out the guide, then press in a bronze bushing? There's a machine shop local to me that has made custom bushings for me for other stuff, and it doesn't cost a whole lot.

Wing 97
02-07-2008, 09:20 PM
That may be a way out but I still would need the correct reamer I believe. I found a place to buy the tools but I need to come up with the correct size. The valve stem measured to be .234 but all the common sizes in that range are either .236 or 6mm and I am not sure if the valve could have worn .002 or if the guide is just an odd ball size. You'll have to bare with me, I am trying to learn my way through this one.(Does that make sense?)

MowerMedic77
02-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Well according to the manual for a
FH500V

Valve stem diam. Inlet 5.95mm(0.0234in.) Exhaust 5.93mm(0.0233in.)

Valve guide inside diam. Inlet, Exhaust 6.08mm(0.239in.)

Wing 97
02-07-2008, 10:51 PM
THANK YOU!!! Mowermedic77, that is exactly what I needed to know. I did get a reamer from my auto parts store (they special ordered for me) that is .234 which I think will work but I still need a resizing tool. For some reason I thought it would come together as a kit. The guy at the parts store really didn't understand the process and was going to look into the availibilty of the knurl er for me today.(they have been very patient with me considering the amount of money they are making on the tool)

mechanic kevin
01-17-2012, 10:51 AM
I have a 17hp 541v that is run on propane and I have the same problem with them going out. The valve on it is 7/32 or 5.79mm. I am also trying to find guides for it. Within the past year, I have replaced 5 heads because of that, very costly. I spoke to a company that switches them to propane and I was told to set the valves at .009/.009 that will help keep the valve temp down and keep the guides from going out and they do run better too. If you find any guides, can you please let me know where ?