PDA

View Full Version : How would you light this fireplace?

BrandonV
02-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Hey guys, likely going to be building this outdoor fireplace for a gentlemen. He wants everything top notch, and I'm helping the boss with lighting, this thing is in excess of 25' wide and tall, my mason says he's not comfortable w/ putting lights in because of heat. anyone have experience w/ that? we defiantly wants something on the copper top, and there isn't a whole lot of places to mount them elsewhere (no big trees etc) any suggestions? would fiber optics handle heat better maybe? i've not been in a situation like this before so any help is appreciated.

Pro-Scapes
02-06-2008, 10:55 PM
fiber on a traditional project like this might not be real nice. Can you redesign the lip above the fire box into more of a mantle and maybe make it from a thick stone ? Then you could recess some lights in. This would cure your heat problem. I would then possibly used a recessed fixture (choose carefully for angle) or a surface mount to cross light the upper areas with this being placed near or in the outside posts. Careful with glare here.

Maybe 2 more recessed into the hearth area on each side of the firebox. I would tilt the 4 uplights in slightly. You could also do 2 more additional lights recessed in the hearth between the main area and the side pillars which with the right placement and lamp would serve to give the project a 3d feel. If there is hearth area in from of the side pillars I would either consider a deck light and some plants or uplight them as well.

Are thoes going to be gas lanterns or are you going to kill this wonderful project with glare lights ? If they are going to be lights consider something with alot less glare. Keep it soft or dimmable so you do not take away from the striking effects of a nice fire roaring in there.

Just some random ideas for ya. I didnt see anyone else jumping in on it

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Are there any tall trees, or tall structures nearby that you can use to project light down onto and across the fireplace?

Pro-Scapes
02-06-2008, 11:07 PM
"and there isn't a whole lot of places to mount them elsewhere (no big trees etc)"

James I think that was part of his original post hence my plan above.

BrandonV
02-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Are thoes going to be gas lanterns or are you going to kill this wonderful project with glare lights ? If they are going to be lights consider something with alot less glare. Keep it soft or dimmable so you do not take away from the striking effects of a nice fire roaring in there.

[french accent]but of course[/french accent]

so you don't think heat will be an issue, I want the mason to run some sleeves when we're building this so I guess I'll have to convince him, I personally don't see why it would be a problem.

Pro-Scapes
02-07-2008, 09:39 AM
with the placements I suggested I took into acct the heat rising. This is why I suggested a nice hearty sized mantle... enough to hold something like a unique nova ormaybe a stellar minus the knuckle... you get the idea find a fixture you like.

The fixtures mounted to each side of the hearth might get warm but with heat rising should not be too much of an issue. I would suggest you build the fire box extra deep to help contain the heat more. Also if you build a protruding border around the firebox say with natural stone it will help deflect the heat out more too.

I assume he will be lining the firebox and chimney according to saftey guidelines. I wouldnt think the surface itself would get too hot.

Lite4
02-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Billy, What do you think about recessing some of those rail lights. Vista makes a very nice 10 watter with a frosted lense in Copper or powder coat of your choice. With Vistas you can take off the flange, cut out a dato in the stone and recess that bad boy right into the bottom of the mantle piece.
http://www.vistapro.com/Product.aspx?ProdID=461&CatID=1&typeID=

Pro-Scapes
02-07-2008, 11:29 AM
I think it would look pretty nice but.... The mantle will be getting a good deal of heat on the bottom of it and I would be concearned for the plastic socket and lamp life/soot deposits/general baking but it could work.

My suggestions took into consideration the direction the heat will travel... by keeping the fixtures below the firebox and above the mantel the heat will rise or be displaced from the fixture locations.

Im real surprised no one else chimed in.