PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS for work ?????

Construct'O
02-06-2008, 08:53 PM
This was mention in another thread,so i was wondering who use it for work,what kind of work and what brand and how accurate they are for you.

I'm sure i won't get these spelled right ,but i have checked out the Gamma amd Megillian something.

Are they gettering better with time as all new equipment? I'll do some research here also tonight ,but maybe some of you already are using one and can suggest some different option.:usflag:

qzilla
02-08-2008, 12:48 AM
I am using a Garmin GPS60CS.

Here is the picture I mentioned from another thread.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o63/qzillapower/DosGringosComplete.jpg

It might be slightly hard to see all the paths we are cutting because it is a large tract of land condensed into a smaller picture.

Anyhow, I make it in google earth and then do some hacking and end up getting the tracks into a format I can load into my GPS t follow.

Also, I can only load 20 tracks at a time so depending on what you do you need to make your entire areas in as few tracks as you can or you are constantly needing to upload new tracks to go to the next spot.

The way I have it I can go weeks without getting done but, my tracks are long!

YellowDogSVC
02-08-2008, 08:58 AM
very impressive. I have only used GPS to find places and to map out trails but haven't had enogh practice. My GPS is a cheapo Garmin GPS 72. Doesn't do much at all other than find points. I want one that I can see contours and store more information. Google earth is good but in the boonies, the resolutions often stink. Because cedar is so dense in some areas, everything can look the same when the resolution is low. The GPS can help me on the ground and Google Earth gives me an overall feeling for the land I'm going to work on.

Construct'O
02-08-2008, 10:34 AM
This is some what the information i was looking for.For me i need to use it for contours and distances for my work.

Also they are now asking if you have GPS readings when you call in to locate and when installing septics.

I'll never be able to afford the GPS for my equipment to run it on auto,because of late start in the electronic world,due to my age.For a lot of people on here it's not a big deal,but you just never know when you will decided to move on up to another stage of your work.

Then GPS might be just the thing you was looking for and never took advantage of it.Until it's too late.Of course they say "never to late" you just run out of time.:cry:

You can also use the GPS for fun by doing the geocaching thing.Doing that you could get some real on hands experience before a person went big time.

Speaking of time i need to go :walking:got the old tax appointment thing:rolleyes::usflag:

YellowDogSVC
02-08-2008, 01:12 PM
makes me wonder how things got done before technology came along.

ma5tr
02-08-2008, 06:33 PM
makes me wonder how things got done before technology came along.

With time and patience! Its not things cant be done without technology...its just that it makes it quicker. This day in age everything is about how fast something can get done.

qzilla
02-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Some of those tracks you see are actual tracks that we made without the GPS. The problem is that in super thick, 12ft tall mesquite it is easy to loose your bearings and make small mistakes. In the scheme of things they are small mistakes and no one would know it but me.

I went this route because the actual work is about 4 times faster when I am following a GPS without regard to anything else.

Something else to think of it that I am using Google Earth PRO. I can zoom in amazing far and the resolution is fantastic. This ranch is in the deep south and away from any populated areas so if the resolution is good there I have to think it would be fine anywhere?

It takes some office time to input everything. I have about 3 nights into the map but, I can cut so fast now it makes your head spin and when I get done it looks like a park trail!