PDA

View Full Version : Building of a Scrub truck

Runner
11-01-2001, 08:57 PM
O.k.! Finally, I'm post some pics of my project. Sort of before and after photos of my old "Jalopy". This is pretty tripped out. There are two pages, with 21 photos in all. My favorite is #15, though. I hope to post some more recent pice eventually, I just gotta get one of them there "digicams". Here's the link. :)

http://content.communities.msn.com/GuidosEquipmentPics/buildingofascrubtruck.msnw

a1 lawncare
11-01-2001, 09:04 PM
just kiddin man that thing is looking great, what brand of wheels did you use, that is one clean machine, good work.

keith

11-01-2001, 09:30 PM
Hey! My mind of wheels! I LIKE them older GM's!

At work, I drive something similar: '79 Chev C-30, although "mine" is set up as a welding truck.

A1 lawncare - those are actually stainless liners that fit over the stock steel "budd" rim. Compared to the cost of custom aluminum wheels, they're a little more reasonably priced!

Runner
11-01-2001, 09:34 PM
Aw, THAT is sweet! I would give anything to have another truck like that as a "sister" truck. Especially as a welding truck! A-1, yeah, those are just stainless liners. Never pit, never rust.:)

11-01-2001, 09:37 PM
Your pics remind me of the overhaul I did on my own '75 GMC dually back in the summer of '96 - everything was off the frame except the cab & rear axle. Built a new deck for it then & put new "tin" on it as well.

As for the welding truck ,my employer DID spring for one feature I think yours doesn't have (at least not yet! ;) ) :

CSRA Landscaping
11-01-2001, 09:45 PM
Scrub truck?! That is one nice job, friend. You've inspired me ... once I get the extra dough. :rolleyes:

TLS
11-01-2001, 09:46 PM
Hey Runner, sweet ride! These trucks are around for real cheap, problem is you have to start watching for frame rot (not to mention the obvious body rot that they were known for!)

Here's a pic of my old truck. Took a few trophy's in local car shows.

Runner
11-01-2001, 09:51 PM
Tom, Now THAT.....is awesome! You're right about the frame and body rust... Before I took the old cab off, it had holes in the floorboard big enough that if someone fell off the seat, they'd fal through. The doors were flappin' in the breeze as well. Before I put it back together, I wirewheeled all the frame, changed the brakelines and electrical, fishplated it, then had it sealed with rustproofing. Even though it doesn't get driven in the winter, anymore. Michigan winters are like the worst on vehicles. Nothing but salt, all the time.
75, You're right, that ONE thing I don't have! Looks good!:D

11-01-2001, 10:06 PM
TLS - I like it! I have to admit, I have a soft spot for '73 - '80 Chev/GMC trucks, and so does a friend of mine - between us, we figure there's enough parts on hand to build a couple of trucks!

Runner - Ontario is the same with salt - they believe in quantity! Unfortunately, both the welding truck and my '75 get driven in the winter :( Rustproofing does help some.

Although these trucks are prone to rust, the plus side is they are so popular and numerous that repair panels are readily available for everything, and as far as fenders/doors/hood are concerned it's easier to bolt on new than repair rust on the old!

TLS
11-01-2001, 10:12 PM
Here it is the day I bought it (March 1987) off of this 75 y/o guy. $1250.00 and the next day sold the cap for $250 !!! It was running on 6 cylinders and had bias belted tires on it. It was originally a one owner Silverado with 3 on-the-tree 3.08 gears and aftermarket air. Sold it in 1990 for $6800. Its now in the PA mountains somewhere in a field with a tree growing up through it (probably). Oh well. Some things we should keep, and some things we should sell. This, I wish I would have kept. Swapped in a crate 350"/350hp, HD 4 speed manual (wish I would have swapped in a TH-400) NP-205, Plow, all new sheet metal/paint. God am I kicking myself right now!!! UGGGHH!

vipermanz
11-02-2001, 02:00 AM
Totally Reeking Of Scrubanoscity!!, na, looks good there in the end

Guido
11-02-2001, 04:38 AM
Looks good...I was a little scared with the first few pics, but it turned out to be a great truck!

As long as your happy with it its a good truck no matter how old it is! You saw the pics of my old baby, right? ;)

Chuck Sinclair
11-02-2001, 08:45 AM
Biggest problem i see with these trucks is the GM part :D

Nice trucks

cos
11-02-2001, 01:00 PM
I think I would ruin this thread if I posted a pic of my 77' Ford. LOL

11-02-2001, 06:44 PM
TLS - your "before" doesn't look too bad at all! Mine was a lot rougher than that the day I bought it - I'll have to see if I can find a pic somewhere.

Hey Cos - when it comes to them older trucks I don't have any biases! Let's see the '77 Ford.

However, if I hear TOO many anti GM remarks I'll have to trot out this pic I took of my friend's F150 the day he bought it - headed home behind MY '75 GMC! ;)

11-20-2001, 07:03 PM
Just took these last weekend, one photo is of my 'ol '75 "relic" cleaned and pressed for parade duty:

11-20-2001, 07:05 PM
And the other is of the two "brothers" (my '75 and the '79 welding truck from work) side by side:

groundsguy1970
11-20-2001, 07:19 PM
;) A true scrub truck would come equipt. with 5 scrubs who jump up out of the back and start working and flyering in May! ;)
Cool ride!

:cool:

crazygator
11-20-2001, 07:22 PM
Nice trucks guys! I only have a standard '94 1 ton GMC. Nothing to brag about, yet...LOL! Of course, my baby is just that. A 17 month old little girl, so I have no extra time to build a truck. As she gets older I may consider it, but it will just have to wait. Or buy yours, huh? hehe

kutnkru
11-20-2001, 07:23 PM
I used to have an old 79 4wd that I absolutely loved. :p 351 mod that ran like a top, 3" lift kit w/33" tread, plum colored paint, pioneer stereo w/cd.

I sure do miss the ole boy. :(
Kris