PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise Lighting Distributor ?

optus
02-06-2008, 10:39 PM
I was just wondering if anyone is familiar with a lighting distributor called Sunrise Lighting. Here is their web site,

http://www.sonriselighting.com/outdoor.html

They seem to offer solid brass fixtures and multi-tap transformers. Their pricing seems pretty good, but have no idea on the brand name or quality.

Just curious. Thanks.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Looks like a bunch of offshore knock off fixtures to me. No name brands listed, no listings indicated. Could be from anyone...

Buy name brand. Don't race to the bottom.

irrig8r
02-07-2008, 12:03 AM
You can find out interesting things about lots of domains at

http://www.aboutus.org/

Just type in the domain name in the box.

Here's what this one says about Sunrise Lighting:

First of all we would like to thank you for browsing our website. Our #1 goal is to satisfy all of your lighting, and we can do so with our 20 years of combined experience! We strive on complete customer satisfaction: Lowest Prices, Highest quality, and most importantly, Top notch customer service. Being family owned and operated, every one of us pours our heart and soul into what we do, and we do it well. We have no commissioned sales people, so you never have to worry about being pressured into buying more than you need, we will sell you EXACTLY what you need to do the job right. Our goal isn't just a one time customers, we want you to be a customer for life. We offer the largest selection of lighting for your home, landscape, business, residential and commercial lighting needs! Three reasons you will never regret doing business with us: 1) We offer the longest warranties in the business, 2) 80% of our products are made here at home in the USA, 3) If you ever have any questions or problems with any of our products, we will do everything in our power to answer your question or solve your product issue to ensure your complete satisfaction. When it comes to our competitors, many of them advertise "made in the USA", but in truth much of their "USA" made products are in fact imported via overseas. For example, 90% of all outdoor cast aluminum lighting is in fact imported via overseas, including our own outdoor cast aluminum line. We will not decieve you. If it is made in the USA, we will tell you. If it is brought in from Overseas, we will NOT falsely advertise it as made in the USA! Just like all of our competitors, we are in business to make a profit, but will NOT do so dishonestly! Our company is made up of employees whom have worked for our competitors, and are simply sick and tired of dealing with inferior quality products and customer service . We have carefully selected and inspected EVERY item we offer for sale to ensure you are getting the highest quality offered in the lighting market guaranteed! SPECIAL NOTE: To customers purchasing outdoor lighting products please be aware that items made of brass and/or copper material will last up to TEN (10) times longer than any other material, as such we offer a LIFETIME GUARANTEE on these materials against rust and corrosion. We also will meet or BEAT any advertised price on any of the products we sell, assuming our cost allows such. Last and definitely not least we do manufacture all of our Outdoor Lighting which in turn will save you a LOT of money on these products which you have most likely seen on other sites for DOUBLE or even TRIPLE the price. All of the raw materials in the lighting industry are bought at the same places. The only difference is which company is the greediest, which I can guarantee is not us. My name is Michael Hanna and I am the owner and founder of Sunrise Lighting. I myself have been in this industry since 1994 and I am never hard to reach if you have any questions or problems with your purchase, or have any questions in general. My brothers David, Joseph and Joshua are also here to satisfy all of our customers by any means necessary. Since we were young, through our strong family values and ethics regarding hard work, we have been providing top notch service that combined makes for over 20 years of quality customer service. May God bless all of us.

optus
02-07-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the link. That's interesting information. I tend to agree with James. It sems a bit odd that the brand is never disclosed.

pete scalia
02-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Dabmar owns the site. It's their way of selling direct to the consumer. There is alot of slime in this business. They are not the only one, I know of a few more sleeze bags that do the same.

optus
02-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Well, I have a few neighbors that purchased some lights from them and they seem decent. Of course, I wouldn't say the quality is like Cast Lighting, for example, but the price is significantly less. I was just curious on the quality and brand.

Pro-Scapes
02-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Well, I have a few neighbors that purchased some lights from them and they seem decent. Of course, I wouldn't say the quality is like Cast Lighting, for example, but the price is significantly less. I was just curious on the quality and brand.

I think you just answered your own question there. You get what you pay for.

Pete excellent observation there. Notice how close the dabmar logo resembles the sunrise logo ?

irrig8r
02-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Can they honestly claim that 80% of their products are US made?

I don't mean to offend anyone, but once someone places the Christian fish logo on their site or otherwise telegraphs how much more honest they must be, implying God is behind their work, I tend to hang on tighter to my wallet.

irrig8r
02-07-2008, 10:13 AM
So, I thought maybe I'd just give them the benefit of the doubt and did a search on " Michael Hanna, lighting"

Holy Cow! Either these are a lot of real complaints, or someone is out to destroy their business reputation. I'll leave it up to you to decide. Some complaints claim "Michael Hanna" is a fake name.

Funny thing too, Contractors Choice Lighting is also mentioned in some of the complaints.

http://www.badbusinessbureau.com/reports/0/281/RipOff0281121.htm

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/278/RipOff0278615.htm

http://www.badbusinessbureau.com/reports/0/275/RipOff0275906.htm

http://www.topix.com/forum/sf/TAM4NLLNNGP9F9PSJ

http://www.topix.net/forum/city/valencia-ca/T43KO5979V067GG7B

Lite4
02-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Gregg, I agree with you about the whole fish thing. I am a christian, but it drives me crazy when I see busineses prostituting a symbol of religion hoping that you will do business with them (not because they may be the best), but because they may share the same faith. There are a ton of contractors who do that in our area. It is not so much the Christians with the Fish symbol, but rather the Mormons with the CTR. You can go through the phone book and find business after business with CTR, implying that if you are a good mormon you had better do business with another good mormon. Come on, give me a break. Stop mixing business with your personal religious beliefs. I actually go out of my way NOT to do business with fellow christians that advertise this way.

JoeyD
02-07-2008, 10:27 AM
You can find out interesting things about lots of domains at

http://www.aboutus.org/

Just type in the domain name in the box.

Here's what this one says about Sunrise Lighting:

First of all we would like to thank you for browsing our website. Our #1 goal is to satisfy all of your lighting, and we can do so with our 20 years of combined experience! We strive on complete customer satisfaction: Lowest Prices, Highest quality, and most importantly, Top notch customer service. Being family owned and operated, every one of us pours our heart and soul into what we do, and we do it well. We have no commissioned sales people, so you never have to worry about being pressured into buying more than you need, we will sell you EXACTLY what you need to do the job right. Our goal isn't just a one time customers, we want you to be a customer for life. We offer the largest selection of lighting for your home, landscape, business, residential and commercial lighting needs! Three reasons you will never regret doing business with us: 1) We offer the longest warranties in the business, 2) 80% of our products are made here at home in the USA, 3) If you ever have any questions or problems with any of our products, we will do everything in our power to answer your question or solve your product issue to ensure your complete satisfaction. When it comes to our competitors, many of them advertise "made in the USA", but in truth much of their "USA" made products are in fact imported via overseas. For example, 90% of all outdoor cast aluminum lighting is in fact imported via overseas, including our own outdoor cast aluminum line. We will not decieve you. If it is made in the USA, we will tell you. If it is brought in from Overseas, we will NOT falsely advertise it as made in the USA! Just like all of our competitors, we are in business to make a profit, but will NOT do so dishonestly! Our company is made up of employees whom have worked for our competitors, and are simply sick and tired of dealing with inferior quality products and customer service . We have carefully selected and inspected EVERY item we offer for sale to ensure you are getting the highest quality offered in the lighting market guaranteed! SPECIAL NOTE: To customers purchasing outdoor lighting products please be aware that items made of brass and/or copper material will last up to TEN (10) times longer than any other material, as such we offer a LIFETIME GUARANTEE on these materials against rust and corrosion. We also will meet or BEAT any advertised price on any of the products we sell, assuming our cost allows such. Last and definitely not least we do manufacture all of our Outdoor Lighting which in turn will save you a LOT of money on these products which you have most likely seen on other sites for DOUBLE or even TRIPLE the price. All of the raw materials in the lighting industry are bought at the same places. The only difference is which company is the greediest, which I can guarantee is not us. My name is Michael Hanna and I am the owner and founder of Sunrise Lighting. I myself have been in this industry since 1994 and I am never hard to reach if you have any questions or problems with your purchase, or have any questions in general. My brothers David, Joseph and Joshua are also here to satisfy all of our customers by any means necessary. Since we were young, through our strong family values and ethics regarding hard work, we have been providing top notch service that combined makes for over 20 years of quality customer service. May God bless all of us.

I dont know if I belive this after looking at that website. I find it hard that thye took all those lights that are made daily in China and moved the molding of them to the US and then arent double the cost.....Just doesnt line up. "1) We offer the longest warranties in the business," So do they offer double life warranties?

irrig8r
02-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Gregg, I agree with you about the whole fish thing. I am a christian, but it drives me crazy when I see busineses prostituting a symbol of religion hoping that you will do business with them (not because they may be the best), but because they may share the same faith. There are a ton of contractors who do that in our area. It is not so much the Christians with the Fish symbol, but rather the Mormons with the CTR. You can go through the phone book and find business after business with CTR, implying that if you are a good mormon you had better do business with another good mormon. Come on, give me a break. Stop mixing business with your personal religious beliefs. I actually go out of my way NOT to do business with fellow christians that advertise this way.

Tim, as i think you understood, I know that a lot of my fellow contractors are good, honest, practicing Christians, and I didn't mean to say anything to imply otherwise.

I've run into a couple of dishonest businessmen who proudly display that fish symbol though. I won't go into details, but the bad feelings linger. Never heard of the CTR thing. I'll have to look for that.

Edit - Found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choose_the_right

"The phrase "Choose the Right" and the LDS Church's stylized "CTR" abbreviation are not trademarked in the United States and may be used by anyone for commercial purposes."

So, could it be that non-Mormons are looking for Mormon customers too?

irrig8r
02-07-2008, 10:32 AM
I dont know if I belive this after looking at that website. I find it hard that thye took all those lights that are made daily in China and moved the molding of them to the US and then arent double the cost.....Just doesnt line up. "1) We offer the longest warranties in the business," So do they offer double life warranties?

Read some of the complaints on the links I posted Joey. Seems like some of the threads started as complaints against CCL and others chimed in about Sunrise.

They both sound like bad news.

Pro-Scapes
02-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Tim, as i think you understood, I know that a lot of my fellow contractors are good, honest, practicing Christians, and I didn't mean to say anything to imply otherwise.

I've run into a couple of dishonest businessmen who proudly display that fish symbol though. I won't go into details, but the bad feelings linger. Never heard of the CTR thing. I'll have to look for that.

Edit - Found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choose_the_right

"The phrase "Choose the Right" and the LDS Church's stylized "CTR" abbreviation are not trademarked in the United States and may be used by anyone for commercial purposes."

So, could it be that non-Mormons are looking for Mormon customers too?

We try to live as good Christians and treat people honestly and fairly in everything we do. I have been known to hand a client an invoice for less than the estimate when it didnt take as much materials or time as I thought it would. Being an honest business person is just good for you no matter if your a Christian or not. We have a local elite landscaper we are now just starting to work for and there is an instant trust. Just something you can see in someones heart and the way they live puts you at ease with doing business with them. If more people ran their businesses and distribution.manufacturing companies like this the whole industry would be a better place.

I had another local contractor call me nuts for the way I conduct business but I can sleep at night and I know I am doing the very best I can and building friendships in the process. Now if someone is dishonest with me I will find others to conduct business with. Just not worth the stress.

pete scalia
02-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Dabmar owns the site. It's their way of selling direct to the consumer. There is alot of slime in this business. They are not the only one, I know of a few more sleeze bags that do the same.

After reading through those hilarious complaint links that Greg posted I stand corrected. Looks like the website in question is an off shoot of ccl another sleeze ball operation. It's getting difficult identifying all the bottom feeders that sell all the same crap products.

Lite4
02-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Billy, I just don't like people advertising that they are a certain sect of religion and advertise it prominetly as to say, "because I am ____ , and you are _____, you should buy from me. A person should earn business based on their BUSINESS REPUTATION, and the fact of whether or not they are a good, trustworthy person to do business with. To me it cheapens Christianity when people wear it as a badge to gain business when they may not truly live it. Sorry just my rant. I have backed away from the box for now.

irrig8r
02-07-2008, 10:06 PM
This story connecting Sunrise and CCL goes much deeper.

Apparently as of 12/31/07, CCL was acquired by another company called Affordable Quality Lighting. There is a lot of mud being slung back and forth.

This following is a response to one of those complaints whose link I posted earlier.

To Whom It May Concern,

With all due respect, let me make this real clear... We are not and have never been associated or affiliated with CCL. My wife and I purchased CCL amongst two other companies as of December 31st, 2007. We both have excellent ratings and an unblemished 34 year old history of working with the public. We please ask that you do not associate our perfect reputation with any companies that we have purchased and especially with Sunrise Lights/Lighting which we have NOT purchased and would NEVER associate ourselves with them based on our research. We apologize if you had any bad experience with any of the companies we acquired or with Sunrise but how can we be blamed for that experience? Give us a chance to service you and prove that we are as untarnished as our 34 year history has shown. In fact, to further prove that we pride ourselves on excellence to our valued clients, we are willing to extend an open offer to any past clients of any of the companies we acquired a full store credit for any losses they may have incurred BEFORE we purchased the company they dealt with. This alone should solidify to anyone that my wife's and my mission is to continue our perfect 34 year old streak of working with the public. We believe its a sad thing that places like sunrise lighting need to throw stones at reputable companies to differ the attention from themselves. We are affiliated with old and reputable companies such as the American Lighting Association, Dun and Bradstreet, the IDA etc. Our Parent company Piana Designs has a AA rating with the BBB, yet sunrise seems to have an F rating with the BBB. I wonder if this is why Sunrise is so upset with the world and continues to blame complaints on rivals. I highly suggest Mr. Hanna that you stop this false campaign of blaming others for the horrible way you do business. We can prove OUR history. I am a father of 3 girls and my wife and I run our business the legal, proper and faithful way. We have never had ANY problems with our past employers before I started my own business. In fact Mr. Hanna worked for CCL and stole information to start Sunrise Lighting 3 years ago. Mr. Hanna has a history of doing this to a previous employer " golden ribbon/computers in Canoga Park". Where he falsified his commission to steal money from them. You may want to google "Harry Michael Hanna Lighting" ( which is Micheal Hanna's real name) and you will be very shocked at what you read. We have un covered more on Hany Hanna/AKA Michael Hanna but will reserve this for later. If Mr. Hanna continues this slander we will be left no choice but to relentlessly defend ourselves in addition to going on the offense to protect my family and our good business name. We thank you for your time in reading this. For further details please click this link: http://www.affordablequalitylighting.com/docs...

Pro-Scapes
02-07-2008, 10:14 PM
This is like a freakin soap opera. Dont concearn yourself with all the BS. Install quality stuff with the backing of a sound dist and manufacture. Something you can be proud of and not just paid for.

irrig8r
02-07-2008, 10:29 PM
I know, I know....but it was like watching a train wreck... or Britney Spears...

Dirty laundry ---> soap opera... never thought about that odd metaphorical juxtaposition before...

keoki
08-04-2008, 09:12 PM
I searched the forums to look Sunrise up also and I stumbled upon all these replys which were very informative.
Now....may I vent a little of my frustrations?
I joined this forum about a month ago looking to get some lighting for my own home. Unknown to me, this forum is made up primarily for 'lighting professionals" but I did get alot of information and leads from people like Joey from Unique.
To make a long story short, the thought of provideing a "side service" of supplying and installing lights to some of my customers became of interest. My brother is a general contractor and I am a wholesale supplier of building materials (lumber,plywood,cabinets)to larger developments. As you all know, that business is inthe tanks! Worst I've been in over 20 years. Remodeling is where it's at now. In Hawaii (Oahu) there aren't sprawling properties where lighting illumination would be such an "art form" as in the continental states. Simple jobs here. Cookie cutter houses typically.
Okay.....the problem. I can't get lights! For my house, Beachside was very prompt and service I would expect top notch. Quality would be top of the line (solid brass only). That's the problem...how can I get anything else? Joey reccommended an irrigation supllier here locally. I went down to see the product that same day and was impressed (with the product) but can't seem to get anything out of them for over a month now. Joey also contacted a guy in Az. who called me but we missed each other twice. I faxed him all my needs with no response. Is it just because I'm on an island in the middle of the ocean I can't get product? I mean I deal with building products with not half the grief.
Be kind guys...this was way too long but can someone provide guidance?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-04-2008, 09:44 PM
I would suggest you contact some of the large lighting distribution companies such as Terradeck, California Landscape Lighting, or FOLD. I am quite certain that each of these would be more then happy to deal with you and doing business would be as easy as shipping the product anywhere. FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc etc.

Hey, I live in Canada and sometimes feel that we must be on an Island for how long it can take for product to ship and clear customs... at least you dont have Customs to deal with!

keoki
08-04-2008, 10:31 PM
I will look into all distributors you mentioned. Thanks very much.

JoeyD
08-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Keoki, I was hoping to not have to offer more distributors as I was hoping the first then second would have been able to complete your orders and inquiries in a timely matter. But as James mentioned above both FOLD and TerraDek are both distributors of ours as well.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do. This is a very uncommon situation with both distributors.

keoki
08-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Joey, I'm getting better luck with Terradek (Unique Lighting) and Cal Lighting (mish mash of diff. manfgs. products).At least I'm having COMMUNICATION! YEAY!

Thanks guys for your assistance.

keoki
08-05-2008, 07:46 PM
I tried Googling FOLD with no luck. What is the corporate name?

Thanks in advance.

NightScenes
08-05-2008, 08:12 PM
I thought I saw a post by Chuck Link with FOLD (Florida Outdoor Lighting Distributors) earlier, what happened to it??

keoki
08-05-2008, 08:22 PM
okay ...I saw it too. I just hadnt responded....(yet) I just aint quick enough to figure FOLD and Florida........My bad:hammerhead:

keoki
08-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Now where did it go? The reply from FOLD....:confused:

irrig8r
08-05-2008, 08:29 PM
From what I understand, if you represent either a distributor or manufacturer on here, you have to be a sponsor in order to post. (Heard that from Don Walker of Irrigander/ DuWa products yesterday.)

JoeyD
08-05-2008, 08:53 PM
I think you can post you just cant advertise or post links, contact info, etc....I did however notice the thread about Encore was gone as well.

TXNSLighting
08-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Ha so AJ cant post on here?? hmmm...

NightScenes
08-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Well now that you know what FOLD means, you can look em up.

Good luck,

JoeyD
08-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Ha so AJ cant post on here?? hmmm...

Again, he can post he just cant ADVERTISE without being a paying sponsor.

TXNSLighting
08-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Again, he can post he just cant ADVERTISE without being a paying sponsor.

You seem a little wound up Joey...

JoeyD
08-06-2008, 11:08 AM
No, you know how sometimes typed words come across.....now shut up

LOL

TXNSLighting
08-06-2008, 11:12 AM
No, you know how sometimes typed words come across.....now shut up

LOL

aww sad now.. Im never buying Unique again!! :laugh:

TXNSLighting
08-06-2008, 11:13 AM
check your PM Joey

JoeyD
08-06-2008, 11:32 AM
I tried to respond but it says your PM's are off? I replied via email........

NightScenes
08-06-2008, 11:53 AM
If I recall, Chuck just said to call him and he would take care of him. That's not an advertisement.

Chris J
08-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Yeah, but it is a solicitation. I really hate censorship in these forums.

NiteTymeIlluminations
08-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Soliciation...lol...look right under this and see the big Cascade ad??? would you rather be solicited by a nice guy who will talk with you in a forum unless he's blocked or by someone who has never visited this forum and just pays for a banner...Chuck is a every day guy who sits at the pc and checks up on the world of lighting just like all of us...and shares ideas, well I dont spend too much time here but if theres a way i can help someone i try and I bet chuck would too...

some of the paid advertisers dont shre ideas or help people out...see below...

JoeyD
08-07-2008, 09:20 AM
I agree Chuck is a great guy and super knowledgable, but Lawnsite does do a good job of protecting their paying sponsors who keep this site rolling.

keoki
08-09-2008, 02:19 AM
Do you lighting professionals in the continental US generally work independently or work with general contractors?

If you read my earlier post, I'm thinking of getting into the lighting portion of remodels. I work closely with general contractors as a supplier. The electricians here don't want to do landscape lighting. The applications here in Hawaii seem simple enough. The yards are generally small so the jobs aren't too difficult.

I've always felt that if you have just decent landscaping, lighting can make it look GREAT.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-09-2008, 08:04 AM
I have found it is always best to work directly for the client. Working for the general contractor can get complicated AND you have to ensure that you are going to satisfy the client's needs and expectations. I would be very hesitant to take on an outdoor lighting job without first meeting the client. Your aesthetic, interpretation and ideas can be very different from the people who will ultimately be living with the lighting system.

Besides, getting paid by the client directly is so much more satisfying then waiting 30 to 45 days for the builders to cut a cheque.

Have a great day

JoeyD
08-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Working directly with the client offers you a lot more freedom and does eliminate the middle man. It allows you to dictate along with that client exactly what it is that should be done. But that doesnt mean you cant have that same freedom working for a GC or a builder. I know of a few guys who have been extremly succesful approaching builders and GC's and doing the work for them. Of course in most cases these guys are larger custom home builders and not cookie cutter tract builders. But I think there is money to be made in both sectors, it is all in how you approach it and it has more to do with the types of homes that GC or builder is involved with.