PDA

View Full Version : Going Rate

joe7588
02-07-2008, 03:58 PM
I,m looking to hire a licensed lawn tech, but not sure what the going rate is.
I have interviewed one person with 7 years experience and he's looking for 45K/yr plus health insurance. It seems a little high to me.

fertguy2008
02-07-2008, 04:14 PM
seems like you would want to be $28-35K with some sort of incentive plan that does not sacrifice quality for quantity

SpreadNSpray
02-07-2008, 06:38 PM
I talked to a lawn tech last year that was working for big green. He was getting paid $15.00 per hour.

turf hokie
02-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I learned a hard lesson this year...be careful how much you start an employee out at b/c they may not bring to the table everything they say they will. You can always do a probation period with a raise after 30,60 or 90 days.

boats47
02-08-2008, 12:34 PM
I would start them out in the $15/hr range depending on thier resume and past work experience. You always want to do a probationary period, that way you cover your ass if things don't work out. It can be very difficult these days to fire someone and you better have things documented with witness, otherwise you will pay. Remember to that they will be banking on time and half as well, if there is no OT then you could go a little higher for an hourly wage.

Grassbuster
02-08-2008, 01:56 PM
I,m looking to hire a licensed lawn tech, but not sure what the going rate is.
I have interviewed one person with 7 years experience and he's looking for 45K/yr plus health insurance. It seems a little high to me.

Does he walk on water??:dizzy:

mgramling
02-08-2008, 02:35 PM
I was looking to get into the spraying industry here in Memphis, TN on the side of my full time job. My full time job I work about 55hrs.+/ week. I was looking to spray 1 day a week.

I have my lic. but limited experience. He was offering $8.00/hr. plus 10% of all new business I sold. I talked with him about his marketing plan, and It was very, very good. I would treat the customers yards that I sign on. He said I should spray anywhere from $1200-$2000 worth a day. So my 10% would be an average from $120-200 a day plus my $8 bucks and hour. He said on average during summer it would be 9-11 hour days. He said by summer, I would be making $190-$300 day. I think it was very fair. And this company is less than 15mins from my house.

I interviewed with several companies in the fall they were willing to pay a flat $10-$14/ hour but-no sales com.

Me and the owner both agreed, I couldn't give him the commintment he was looking for at this time, so I had to pass. I really wanted to work for this guy he is very knowledgeable, and I believe HONEST, willing and wanting to grow his business.

If I needed somebody to treat my yard, I will call him in a second. All the other companies I interviewed with large corps, and small I wouldn't use them to treat my yard.