PDA

View Full Version : Is you blower powerfull enough

LAWNGODFATHER
11-02-2001, 12:29 AM
I have received sevral e-mails asking what blowers I'm using and if they are powerfull enough to blow leaves.

Is your?

I don't work for or represent Red Max.

I use Red Max EB7000 back pack blowers and they probably are the most powerfull on the market. Yes they work great.

What to look for in a blower is the amount of "CFM"
Don't worry about air speed, it is how much air volume the blower will move. The more volume, the more leaves or other can be blown in a faster time.

I have a leaf loader vac that produces 22,000 CFM. Yes it can move leaves fast, but it is an example, it only has an air speed of about 210 mph.

Now the blower has a CFM of 529 at the end of the pipe at 200 mph. Do not get that confused with some others that rate theirs w/o the tube, RM's is 730 w/o tube.

BTW they suck down 2 cycle fuel real fast.

KirbysLawn
11-02-2001, 12:33 AM
Is you blower powerfull enough

Yes. Shin & RedMax.

casey
11-02-2001, 12:44 AM
Echo now makes the most powerful blower on the market.
Shin&Redmax are toys. Time to play catch-up.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-02-2001, 12:46 AM
Have to check into it. Can you post a link?

BTW the post was an example, but the CFM is the way to look for a blower.

Oh yeah casey, I guess you will be selling your blowers soon huh?J/K:cool:

vipermanz
11-02-2001, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by casey
Echo now makes the most powerful blower on the market.
Shin&Redmax are toys. Time to play catch-up.

maybe so but soon you can't play with them !:D

MOW ED
11-02-2001, 08:14 AM
Echo "says" they have the most powerful by their literature and mayby it is but not by much so I am sticking with my Shindy as I still enjoy blowing a brick up and down my driveway when the leafs are gone.

Toys?

Chuck Sinclair
11-02-2001, 08:59 AM
Stright from the book of my brand new ECHO PB 610

Air speed is 190 mph at pipe end.

Air volume 535 cfm at pipe end

This thing will blow a house down!

Here in california we can't buy the PB 650 so i had to go with the 610.

casey
11-02-2001, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by MOW ED
Echo "says" they have the most powerful by their literature and mayby it is but not by much .

Dealer tennis ball test: Echo 12 ft. straight up
Shin&Redmax 6ft.
Toys.

Richard Martin
11-02-2001, 11:23 AM
LAWNGODFATHER wrote:
What to look for in a blower is the amount of "CFM"
Don't worry about air speed, it is how much air volume the blower will move. The more volume, the more leaves or other can be blown in a faster time.

Actually you want a combination of the 2 for best performance. Check out this hypothetical situation:

Guy A has a blower that moves 2000 CFM of air buy only moves that air at 100 MPH

Buy B has a blower that moves 1000 CFM of air but moves the air at 200 MPH

Guy C has a blower that moves 500 CFM of air but moves the air at 300 MPH.

Now if you use Casey's (Echo's) test then which blower would move the tennis ball the furthest up the test pipe?

If you have a 2 foot high pile of leaves to move them Guy A isn't going to get anywhere in a hurry. He has lot's of CFM but hardly any air speed.

Guy C can blow the leaves 30 feet but only 1 at a time. His blower is useless against a big pile of leaves.

Guy B is going to move the maximum number of leaves in the least amount of time because he has a balance between air speed and CFM.

Or you can put it this way. Take a cold front, a tornado and a hurricane. The cold front has plenty of CFM but it lacks windspeed because it's spread out over hundreds of miles. It may take a couple of branches down in thunderstorms but generally it does little damage. The tornado does terrific damage because of the high wind speed but this damage is confined to a limited area.
The hurricane does the most damage over a wide area because it has both wind speed and CFMs.

This is why some blowers outwork other blowers of seemingly higher power.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-02-2001, 11:56 AM
Exalent analogies Richard, what are you doing in Lawn Care?

You are correct, but I didn't want to confuse to many.

Martino
11-02-2001, 12:46 PM
The very best explanation I have ever heard....neither stat is the most important, but both of them in proper tandem are what is important. LGF, you say that you did not want to confuse people, but you really muddied the water and gave entirely erroneous info. BTW, here are the true stats between the Echo PB 650 and the Red Max EB 7000:

Using a calibrated anometer, the stats are:

ECHO (63.3 cc) RED MAX (62 cc)

650 cfm 580 cfm

210 mph 193 mph

Measurements taken at end of tube, contrary to what many manufacturers do.

GLS
11-02-2001, 01:48 PM
ok, higher cfm can blow more leaves, but what if your just blowing a small amount of grass clipplings off a driveway? I have a blower that has a low cfm, but high mph...it doesn't blow leaves for well, but it takes the grass clippings off good.

Martino
11-02-2001, 02:09 PM
As I am sure you know the walk blower has no extension tubes...thus a higher cfm and a lower mph. CFM is achieved basically 2 ways, thru design of the intake impeller and also by the circumfrence of the tubes in which the air is pushed. When you do not have tubes (as on a walk blower) cfm at the housing is the useable figure. If you took cfm ratings on a bp at the housing, the numbers would be over 1100, but not a good number because we don't operate bps from the housing, do we? When you add tubes, you reduce the air volume, but increase the speed at which your useable air is moved. Sorta like putting your thumb halfway over the end of a garden hose. Without your them, it just gets stuff wet. Put your thumb over half of the opening and now you have a useable tool. Now do you understand?

LAWNGODFATHER
11-02-2001, 02:09 PM
Martino, so tell us how does a push blower with maby 170 mph and 1000+ CFM blow more than a Back pack like the 2 you listed.

Can I take a guess, CFM maby. air volume is what moves things not MPH.

MPH comes with it in most cases, but it's not always going to be as high as you want. But I DO NOT think it is as necessary as you claim.

awm
11-02-2001, 03:41 PM
my little poulan pro handheld does what i need a blower to do.
i mulch, but if i wanted to just blow the leaves. id put a double set of mulchers on,or mabe highlift an mulchers.
i could blow them anywhere i wanted to.seems a shame to not just get rid ofum tho.

Richard Martin
11-02-2001, 04:49 PM
I still don't think you guys are catching on.

Tell me this. Why, in my area, does the Stihl BR400/420 still continue to outsell all of the other blowers dispite the fact that the Shindaiwa/Redmax (they're the same blower you know) and the Echo have better numbers? Is it because the Stihl is cheaper? I can get the Stihl for $379, the Shin/Redmax is $475 and the Echo is $450. I don't think price is the issue. It's not that much different. Is it the weight of the machines? This could be a factor since the Stihl filled with fuel weighs more than 2 pounds less than the competitors. Or is it the fact that the Stihl, in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, can move just as much debris as the bigger more powerfull machines?

Go back and re-read the last sentence of my previous post.

dlandscaping
11-02-2001, 05:38 PM
stihls dominate the blower market here, there arent an shin and a few redmax here and there but mostly stihl and one or two echo. 2 out of every 3 trailers have a stihl on them.

Martino
11-02-2001, 05:41 PM
right on a couple of counts. Weight has become a huge issue in the minds of users (and rightfully so, says me.) This is why Red Max and Stihl have seen dramatic increases in sales, while Echo, with the heavy frame, large air filter box, rubber flex hose (PB 60 HT) saw sales flatten out and Shindaiwa almost disappeared completely from the BP market (going back a few years.) The market told mfgs. that weight was the issue that concerned them. Also, you cannot dispute that Stihl does a fantastic job of marketing their name....much better than any of it's competitors. THIS is why most people buy Stihl in your area. However, the price that Stihl pays for all the $$$ going to marketing is the FACT that they are WAY behind everyone else in technology. The new BR 420 already has a safety recall on it (par for the Stihl course) and they are having to buy engine technology from Deere to get their engines compliant. I would submit that most people buy Stihl trimmers and blowers because of their name recognition and the fact that their buddy has one. Not to say that there is anything wrong with doing biz this way.....they sell a lot of iron! It is just a different way than most mfgs. Engine people in the biz do not think highly of their products. Most companies are engine companies that mfg. products. Stihl is more of a marketing company than a mfg.

Having said all that, I think that everyone should demo anything they are going to buy....not just for 10 minutes, but for a few days, to make a good buying decision.

BTW, the same water manometer testing shows this for the BR 420:
180 mph
462 cfm (Stihl claims 476 cfm)

At the pipe.

AztlanLC
11-02-2001, 05:47 PM
I used to think the same about stihl as a matter of fact I got 6 of them but this year I thought about give a try to red max and Believe me, now every time I use a stihl to blow leaves I often check the end of the hose to see if air is coming out, I said it feels about 30% percent more power, but with leaves makes a big difference. I don't know about echo or shin. but I do love my red max.

Did I mention that all of my stihl stuff star to smoke a lot after a couple of months, I use stihl brand oil at the recommend ratio (50:1) does any of you have this same problem.

casey
11-02-2001, 05:52 PM
To me it's real simple.
The Echo blew the tennis ball 12 feet in the air
Redmax & Shin. only 6 feet.
Echo is a better blower.

TLS
11-02-2001, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Martino, so tell us how does a push blower with maby 170 mph and 1000+ CFM blow more than a Back pack like the 2 you listed.

LAWNGODFATHER,

Most of the 8-12 hp walkbehind blowers develop close to 3000 CF/M of air !!! Not 1000.

penn955
11-02-2001, 07:00 PM
Has anyone tried the Kawasaki KRB700B (603CFM with pipe ,201 MPH). This thing is awesome.

cajuncutter
11-02-2001, 07:57 PM
Penn I was going to ask the same. It is supposed to be the new big boy on the block. LESCO sells it at $449.00. I am going to see about demo'ing the thing. Right now I run the RM eb7000 and love it. As for the stihl..been there done it and won't do it again. Eb7000 runs the BR 400 into the ground.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-02-2001, 08:01 PM
OK then so tell me why when the piles of leaves get bigger, I take pieces of the tube off the blower to get more CFM comming out. Does the MPH go up too.

This brings up a good Idea, use your measuring thing on sevral brands and post them all on one post. 1: at the end of the tube. 2: at the housing. 3: With only parts of the tube on.

Give both CFM and MPH:D

We can have this done real scientific like.

From one of your post the MFG's are obviously off on their ratings, this way we can be sure to which ones are correct. By your measuring tool.

leaflawnandlimb
11-02-2001, 08:08 PM
Richard Martin

Around Here the Echos dominate the market. Mostly because of the dealers in the area, Ther is a Stihl dealer in the area but he treats lco's like garbage. The Echo dealer seems to get the majority of the business.

Kent Lawns
11-02-2001, 08:12 PM
No additional testing needed here.

We own all 3: Stihl, Shindiawa & Echo.

We used to use all Stihl, went to Shinsiawa because of the additional power. Wound up with 6 Echo 650's because we our dealer couldn't get us more Shindiawa.

Blow in this order:

Stihl BR420 - Hard.
Shindiawa 630 Harder.
Echo 650 - Harder still, but franctionally.

Operator technique makes more of a difference. I would still take one of my good guys with a Stihl than an average guy with an Echo 650.

eskals
11-02-2001, 08:57 PM
Rich Martin is absolutely correct on this. You need CFM and MPH. Like Rich said, you can have a lot of air moving at a very low velocity. Some good examples of this have already been shown. 3000cfm moving at 5 mph would not be much good. Now 600cfm at 200mph moves alot.

I can think of several reasons that you would remove the sections of tube. With the tubes at full length, you would have roughly the same MPH as you would with them on. However, you are increasing your CFM beacuse the shorter tube is less restrictive. This helps to move material.

So yes, CFM does move product. However, if it isn't accompanied by a sufficient amount of MPH it isn't very helpful. Most backpack blowers are rather close in thier MPH ratings, so CFM would be more important when looking at blowers.

Eric

summitgroundskeeping
11-02-2001, 10:52 PM
As long as it easily moves stuff from pt A to pt B I'm happy. Actually I bought a new 23cc Echo blower and Billy Goat Vac today. I do very little blowing (edge of driveways and sidewalks) and my blower is perfect for that. Now I can also use the Vac on the sidewalks.:D
Not everybody needs the most CFM or speed, I need the most convienent blower that is managable. I know I don't speak for a lot of people here when I say that, but not everybody has the same needs as others.
Sorry for rambling on, but I'm tired.

Richard Martin
11-03-2001, 02:56 AM
Martino wrote:
Shindaiwa almost disappeared completely from the BP market (going back a few years.)

Actually Shindaiwa stopped selling BP blowers altogether. They had to redesign the blowers because of noise issues. And the Stihl recall applies only to BR420s sold in California for a few months late last year/early this year.

K9LWT
11-03-2001, 03:05 PM
I don't use the BR400 on tennis balls, I use it on leaves. I like the 400-haven't had any problems with it (other than backing over the tube with the F250).

The Stihl works well for me, if I was to replace it today I would give the Red Max 7000 a shot-I have seen them in action and the kick ass. Actually, I would probably wait for the 8000-next year's model.

dlandscaping
11-03-2001, 06:29 PM
i got the stihl br 400 and it was great, there wasnt a redmax dealer close or shind anywhere. the echo weighed more and stihl was more popular. this machine is great except the tubing wore out at the end and at joints and is now all duck tape. the air filter gets dirty easier than on the new 420. the new 420 is crap. i compared the two today on a big job of wet oak leaves. almost 3/4 acre all coevered by oaks about 3-4 inches of leaves but there is woods in the back for a place to dump which is all full now. the new 420 has the same gas as in the 400 but it kept sounding like it was dying revving high then low and the air filter is clean. it also couldnt blow anything the 400 blew a huge pile that the 420 couldnt move a foot. also the new 420 has cheap plastic tube near the throttle and it has a kink and i cant use it around bushes trees etc since the air flow is shut off. exmark dealer is ordering a new tube for free but it will take 2 weeks to get here. the 420 is worthless and was a waste of my money, i should have gotten the new kaw or redmax or new echo for my money.

dlandscaping
11-03-2001, 07:46 PM
stihl br 420 has less power than a tired old beat up br400. go with something else this things sucks.

lakegastonla
11-03-2001, 09:24 PM
Good thing nobody really listens to people like you. Could it be possible that you got a blower that has a defective tube assembaly? Could it be that the rpm's need to be adjusted higher with the carb jets? Instead, you crush a product which is the industry standard ,and got there because it is a great piece of equipment. I also have a br 400 and these two blow identical. Only problem I have with them is the fact that the filters are different. I think the old style filter was just fine. Unnecessary change, I think.

dlandscaping
11-03-2001, 11:55 PM
i agree with the filter issue about no need to change requiring me to have two different extras. there is a lack of power between the two. the 420 has been adjusted by my dealer when i told him about this. the blower tube has a problem with it yes and i am getting a new tube but it only affects blowing power when it is moved side to side. blowing strait side by side the 400 moved the leaves further. these are facts i am stating and u try to slam me about how ppl shouldnt listen to me. other people do the same thing about products they have bad luck with. i just dont see why anyone else would buy the 420 for $420 including tax when they could get the new higher powered echo or kawaski or redmax 6200 for a about $50 more.

cajuncutter
11-04-2001, 12:27 AM
redmax for $475 to your front door..local dealer retail 519 to 539..here it is $539 plus 8.25 tax..do the math......they (the online dealer)also carry kaw but they do not have the new model posted yet..I had the br 400..like RM better...oh I also read somewhere on the net that red max is going to stop online dealers from shipping and selling over the net just like shin did so if you are in the market get it quick
I am not sure if I can post the web site here or not. I have not been here in so long I am not up on the rules...If you want to know the site send me a private message and I will let you know...from what I remember most people here on the site already shop with this company so it is no secret

geogunn
11-04-2001, 12:38 AM
I have read all of this thread and I am really stressed out.

I'll just stick with my br-400 and try not to read any more of this thread (but I probably will).

GEO:p

KirbysLawn
11-04-2001, 01:12 AM
Casey, forget the tennis ball.

In a recent study at Kirby Labs, Inc. 3 blowers were tested:

Sthil BR400

Shindiawa EB630

Red Max EB7000

The study consisted of testing how much air, and how deep into the water each blower blew air to relax my tired back. It began in my pool after a long hot day, first:

The Sthil BR 400 tube placed into the pool running at full throttle force air bubbles down my back just past my shoulder blades, relaxing but not that great.

The Red Max EB700 was next, and at full throttle the air bubbles were forced further down, reaching my lower back but still not getting the job done.

Third was the Shindiawa, this baby at full throttle blasted air all the way into my shorts and out the legs giving a full body, relaxing hot tub experence! After the study I was much more relaxed after the Shindiawa and now I'm sure this blower is the best of the three.

Since I have not tried the Echo or Husky I can't give data yet, if anyone owns one locally stop by and bring your trunks and we'll test it!

Ray

lakegastonla
11-04-2001, 08:59 AM
I would never pay 420 for the new stihl blower. My local guy sells them for 375 tax included. That was for a BR 420. I bought one a month or so ago. I think without a doubt, that it is the best blower in it's price range. I am not saying that it is the best period, only in it's PRICE range. The Shindaiwa is 475 tax included, and too high for a backpack in my opinion. When I get in that price range I would be looking for a push blower. The shindaiwa, redmax, and the echo could NEVER hang with a decent wheeled blower. Facts are facts.

Island Lawn
11-04-2001, 09:06 AM
You work too hard, Ray!

"This play is so bad,
it sucks AND blows!"
- Bart Simpson

BTW, Stone Age Stihl 320 works great!

AltaLawnCare
11-04-2001, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Island Lawn

BTW, Stone Age Stihl 320 works great!

I'm with ya, Island,

Stihl BR340 - no need to spend any more money on anything else.

:p

KirbysLawn
11-04-2001, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by lakegastonla
I would never pay 420 for the new stihl blower. My local guy sells them for 375 tax included. That was for a BR 420. I bought one a month or so ago. I think without a doubt, that it is the best blower in it's price range. I am not saying that it is the best period, only in it's PRICE range. The Shindaiwa is 475 tax included, and too high for a backpack in my opinion. When I get in that price range I would be looking for a push blower. The shindaiwa, redmax, and the echo could NEVER hang with a decent wheeled blower. Facts are facts.

I bought mine from LCO's that ware closing down. I paid $270 for the Red Max and $300 for the Shindiawa.

Friday while blowing several LARGE piles of leaves, my cousin and I were amazed at how big of a pile and how fast these blowers moved them. We both thought back last year when we had the BR400's and how lucky we were that they are no longer with us. We saved an bunch of time just Friday blowing leaves.

The higher power blowers also help on renovation jobs when dirt needs to be blown off concreate, and they work mUCH better than the BR400 when trying to blow grass/leaves from wet pavement.

I'm supprised at how many keep with the Sthil praise if they have never tried the others. I could care less at how far a blower blows a ball or moves bricks, I care about how fast and effecently they will move leaves, dirt, grass clippings.....

Ray

Tony
11-04-2001, 03:51 PM
Some of you are so hung up on price that you'll lose money. As Ray just said he now can do the job so much faster and in turn make more money. I wonder if when you bought your Truck you left the AC off and didn't buy it because of the cost. The AC doesn't make you truck go any faster but it helps make you feel more comfortable, right. If you spend $100 more for the more powerful backpack blowers you will save more than $100 in labor just during the leaf season. You can't put a push blower in the same places as a backpack, that's why they make both.

Tony

cajuncutter
11-04-2001, 04:19 PM
WELL PUT TONY!! WELL PUT!

BufalinoLand
11-04-2001, 06:05 PM
Boys im with whoever runs their business with mindframe of money is not an object. Ill spend whatever it takes. Gotta have the right equipment for the job and more importantly the best. It will all come out in the wash. If you chince on equipment it will cost you time in the long run and time is $$ to me. I operate a small company but have some nice equipment. I purchased a 61 tiger this season and it cuts time like no ones business. I just got a little wonder 8horse a couple weeks ago and it does the work of 3 back packs. my main point is spend it now and worry about it later. If you buy it, they will call!!

leaflawnandlimb
11-04-2001, 07:58 PM
I agree with spending money to buy the best equipment, but the only reason I did't buy two of the echo 650's ( I did buy 1 ) is that I still have two old echo pb 400e's. Oldies but goodies. One is about 10 yrs. old and still going strong.

BufalinoLand
11-04-2001, 09:51 PM
Larry,

How do you like that new echo. Would It destroy a Redmax 6200. Im going to get another backpack for next season and was just looking for the best

David Gretzmier
11-06-2001, 01:54 AM
3 thoughts - 1 martino- I want you to post the numbers on cfm and speed on different tube tips removed, I am curious. 2 kirby- interesting post on the water blow job test-it reminded me of water tests in louisville on the weed trimmers. and 3 the echo 650 is lighter, sans frame, and more powerful. I literally blew a diesel lawnmower battery ( small car battery) about 18" from the tip. it will flip a cinder block. it will be my next blower. Dave g

LAWNGODFATHER
11-06-2001, 01:50 PM
If your worried about the cost for equipment to do a job, then your going to buy the wrong piece of equipment, I for one am not concerned with the cost, and look at the productivity of the piece of equipment.

Example:

you have 10 acres of flat ground no trimming, you buy a 36" belt drive to mow it, you should have gotten atleast a 60" ztr.

There is nothing like killing yourself using the wrong piece of equipment to do a job.

That was the reason for starting this thread.

nathanlee79
02-28-2002, 02:32 AM
Crazy debate. Who cares what is more powerful. Use what you like and if it does the job, so be it. I do have to agree with the LawnGodfather though. Those EB 7000's are off the hook. We used a couple doing leaves this fall. Lots of power. Sucks the gas though. :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

locutus
09-13-2003, 10:09 PM
If the tennis ball was lodged tighter in the echo tube , for whatever reason, it would built up more of a pressure-head behind it before being ejected,thus the greater altitude.

locutus
09-13-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by casey
To me it's real simple.
The Echo blew the tennis ball 12 feet in the air
Redmax & Shin. only 6 feet.
Echo is a better blower. response is reply above

Envy Lawn Service
09-14-2003, 01:40 AM
FORGETABOUTIT!!!!

To me, there is a lot of hair splitting going on here. Seems to me that all the top of the line blowers are pretty close in power. Not enough to freak out about.

I say buy what your favorite dealer sells. If he sells 2 different brands, the go with the MFG that stands behind the product best. If your dealer carries them all and they all stand behind the product equally, then just get whatever matches the rest of your equipment for gods sake.... ;)

Buba
09-14-2003, 10:40 AM
The Red Max EB7001 and the Ech 650 blow about the same amount of air. The old EB700 blew a little less. Another very important point is that the Red Max is a full 3 lbs lighter weight than the 650. 3 lbs adds up fast when your working all day. Another important point is that the Red Max has a huge air filter that is needed when these large engines are running. Echo does not have this on the 650, they have come out with a new unit the 750 that has a large air filter (learned from Red Max). The 750 blows less than the 650. Botttom line is that you must demo both units and you will see for yourself which is more comfortable to use. They are both good products.

Doc Pete
09-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Richard Martin
I still don't think you guys are catching on.

Tell me this. Why, in my area, does the Stihl BR400/420 still continue to outsell all of the other blowers dispite the fact that the Shindaiwa/Redmax (they're the same blower you know) and the Echo have better numbers? Is it because the Stihl is cheaper? I can get the Stihl for $379, the Shin/Redmax is $475 and the Echo is $450. I don't think price is the issue. It's not that much different. Is it the weight of the machines? This could be a factor since the Stihl filled with fuel weighs more than 2 pounds less than the competitors. Or is it the fact that the Stihl, in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, can move just as much debris as the bigger more powerfull machines?

Richard,
In the case of yourself and Meg-mo blades where you just don't know enough about balancing and actually entertain the thought that they could self-balance, the same goes for blowers or any other item. In other words, the reason people choose different items is:
1. People have different needs.
2. People are Not educated on the product well enough to make a correct decision.

9 times out of 10 #2 applies.
In my area Scag is the machine of choice, Why? The reason is the people buying them don't speck english well and can only say I want the "Orange" machine. It's the blind leading the blind. A few guy's have them and the uneducated think it must be the best machine because the "other guy" has one.
Pete

Fvstringpicker
09-14-2003, 02:06 PM
From my old engineering days, wind power is proportional to the cube of wind speed. In other words, if you double the wind speed of a 400 CFM blower you increase the wind power by eignt times.
In Richard Martin's example Guy B doubled the wind speed but halfed his CFM resulting in approximately 4 time the power.

mtdman
09-14-2003, 06:38 PM
This is one of the age old arguments that will never be solved. It's like Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge. Everyone with half a brain knows Chevy and Dodge suck ---, just like everyone with half a brain knows Stihl is the best equipment to buy. But people still have their favorites, which is why Chevy and Dodge manage to sell trucks, and why Echo Redmax and Shindy manage to sell blowers.

:D

AztlanLC
09-15-2003, 06:29 PM
I don't know much about cfm's engineering, brands, but I can tell you for sure that redmax eb-7000 beats a stihl 420 anyday by about 30% difference, maybe during mowing season you don't need that much power, but when it comes to blow leaves the red max really shines, I did use stihl for about 8 years until found about lawnsite and read all the recommendantions about redmax, up until last year I still had a 420 it broke down just like the 10 prior to it, now is only red.

I have to give it a try to echo tough, but until then red is my first choice.

DoubleCutter
09-15-2003, 07:20 PM
LOL these posts turn into bashing eventually...everyone with half a brain knows dodge and chevy suck...LOL this is a huge piszin match here. Man its like 1st graders.
But then again I must only have half a brain because I wont run anything but Chevrolet, Between two businesses, theirs 7 Chevy trucks sitting outside my house right now paid off making money all closing in on 100K-150K+ mileage.
I guess If Im as fortunate with half a brain, Id be a millionaire 1,000 times over with a full brain. I run what works, My brother runs the Redmax, I run the Shindy, They look identical in my book....but we both agreed the Shindy was a better overall performer. The only Echo I still run is the 60HT and its beat, but I expect more than 4 years out of this Shindawia I been running for 1.5 years.
Sometimes the most CFM or MPH isnt important. Its whats comfortable enough to have on your back 8 hrs a day in fall. Thats why I bought my SHindy, The redmax had some BS rubber mat for a back support, where the Shindy had nice cushions like the echo I run does. Besides Im not to keen on having AC blowing on my back when Im doing leaf jobs in 20 degree weather.
Id run Echo again, as long as I can get more years out of em
Bill

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
09-15-2003, 07:33 PM
what about weedeater brand???????:D :D :D :blob1: ;) ;) It will blow the tennis ball 1 foot down hill.;)..Seriously I like the stihl.Thats all you see around here.

Nomoslowmow
09-15-2003, 07:34 PM
CFM...Pressure....MPH.....how do you decide? Here's how: The MPH of the discharge is a function of the discharge tube/nozzle combination. A leaf blower is a fan. Fans have a performance curve that relates flow to pressure. As pressure goes down (maybe a tube was removed), flow goes up. As pressure goes up, (Maybe an angled nozzle was put on) flow goes down. For a given fan rotor/housing combination, more horsepower will tend to push the curve up, less horsepower drops the curve.

If all else is equal (is it ever?) go for the blower with the most HP!

for any blower, the more air that it moves at a certian speed, or the faster it moves the same amount of air will let it do more work.

Aside from the above, I have a load of Stihl Br 400 and BR420 blowers that have been reliable but unspectacular. I have one BR400 that is about 10 years old, still on a truck as a reliable backup. I always wonder how so many people can post how their Stihl equipment is breaking down over and over and mine runs for years and years.

Bob

Ricks Z28
09-15-2003, 09:44 PM
I've had 2 br 400's for about 5 yrs. and they don't owe me a cent. They still ( stihl ) ha ha move the same amount of grass clippings from sidewalks and leaves from beds as they did when new. Their not broke , so I'm not replacing them.