PDA

View Full Version : Buying customers (part 2) need introduction letter to new customers

FERT-TEK
02-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Hello fellas, a week ago I started a thread about the pros and cons of buying customers from another LCO. Today, we have come to an agreement on price, no compete contract, language spelling out what happens if some customers do not sign on with me and it appears the deal will go through. Long story short, this LCO is downsizing and offered to sell me the contracts that are in my service area for an agreed price. FYI, he wants 1/2 payment by April 1st and the other half at the end of the season minus the customers who do not sign up.

The reason I am starting this part two thread is to request help from someone who has done a sale like this in the past. I am looking for ideas or an actual form letter that could be sent to the new customers letting them know of the transition, and that I will be caring for their property if they accept my contract.

d&rlawncare
02-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Whatever it says I would have you and the old LCO sign it and put both contact numbers on there. It might even be better if it is written from the old LCO.

Fert-Tek will be servicing your accounts due to the down sizing of Pure-Grn. They will be providing the same high quality service at the same reasonable price. Enclosed is your service agreement for 2008. If you have any questions please call. Thank you for your business. Jut the first thing that came into my head.

RigglePLC
02-07-2008, 08:37 PM
I would add some incentive to the deal so the customer sees it as a lucky break and an improvement in service. Maybe you are adding a longer or better guarantee. Maybe you are using a better fertilizer--better crabgrass control--better (more premium) weed product. A promise of quicker response. Some kind of freebie. A personal phone call and promise of better results. Anything to keep them from shopping around.
Remember when JDL bought Leso; don't you wonder, "What is in it for me?"

Rayholio
02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I did something similar last year... Have him write a letter intrducing you as the man continuing their normal services, with contact info, etc.. Staple and introductry letter from you to the back of his letter.

Keep it short, matter of factual, and don't leave any doubt that the customer doesn't need to DO anything.. mainly a change in who they write their checks to, and where they send them...

americanlawn
02-08-2008, 12:27 AM
We bought a customer base from a guy about ten years ago. We provided his phone number in case customers had questions or just wanted to verify what was going on. The seller should be able to do this for you as part of the deal.

Also in your letter of introduction, you might be able to list some advantages, improvements, or additional services compared to what the customers were getting in the past. But I would get the approval from the seller if you could. You might even ask if the seller if he would also sign the letter of introduction.