PDA

View Full Version : Husqvarna ignition/kill switch

smokediver
02-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Ok, a little background.
I re-engined a husku hydro from a Briggs 23hp ELS to a Kohler magnum 18hp. :hammerhead: The kohler came from a Craftsman that was dropped off a truck.

Runs fine and everything works, except I can't figure out how to get the ignition switch to kill the spark on the engine.
The briggs had a fuel shut off on the carb, and the kohler has a ground/kill wire for the coil.
But as far as I can tell, there's no terminal on the ignition switch that is only grounded when the key is off. There is a ground, but it's always grounded.

Sorry, I don't have model numbers at the moment, but wondered if some of you techs might have a smart solution.

Thanks

Bill Kapaun
02-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Is there an "M" terminal on the switch? Typically M is grounded in the off position.

smokediver
02-10-2008, 03:54 PM
I'll have to check.
I just tried all the wires in the harness to the motor.
I'll check for terminal "M" tomorrow.

smokediver
02-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Well, duh!! Ya know, there's a kill switch on the seat....and even if the key is on that keeps the coil grounded.
So that always grounded wire is not grounded if there's someone on the seat.

Can anyone tell me why the new seat switches can't be disabled by unplugging them, or hooking the wires together?? I really hate having to restart my mower cause I got off to move something...

Bill Kapaun
02-17-2008, 02:08 AM
Well, duh!! Ya know, there's a kill switch on the seat....and even if the key is on that keeps the coil grounded.
So that always grounded wire is not grounded if there's someone on the seat.

Can anyone tell me why the new seat switches can't be disabled by unplugging them, or hooking the wires together?? I really hate having to restart my mower cause I got off to move something...

Yes, but then we'd have to....

Many of the newer type plugs have what they call a grounding/shorting connector. You pull the plug, but a little metal thingie slides inside the plug and keeps the continuity. It was in response to people who pulled the plug to disable a safety switch.

smokediver
02-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Mmm hhmm....
I figured it was some such contrivation to short circuit folks just like me.
So pulling the plug won't "fix" it, but if I cut the wires to the plug, that would solve the problem right?

Thanks for the tips Bill.

SLR
02-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Can anyone tell me why the new seat switches can't be disabled by unplugging them
------------
Get some good glue and lock the plunger down or fab some kind of thin top cover that screws the switch down,personally i always make those ******ed idiot swicthes unfuctional,as i suspect they are for fools who drink beer & mow...

Bill Kapaun
02-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Can anyone tell me why the new seat switches can't be disabled by unplugging them
------------
Get some good glue and lock the plunger down or fab some kind of thin top cover that screws the switch down,personally i always make those ******ed idiot swicthes unfuctional,as i suspect they are for fools who drink beer & mow...

Read post #5!