PDA

View Full Version : New to forum - Welcome

Lite4
02-08-2008, 12:05 AM
I have been noticing that there have been an awful lot of new contributors to this forum lately and I just wanted to say to all of you welcome, and we look forward to getting to know you. This forum is very informative, and there are some here who have spent decades helping to build this incredible industry, so you know there is some very quality and valuable information disseminated here. These are some very exciting times for the lighting industry with all the new technology emerging everyday, so please feel free to join in and participate with us in our many diverse discussions. We look forward to hearing more from you. If you know someone else in the lighting industry that doesn't know about this site, Pass it on so that it may be a help to them as well.
Light on!!

Pro-Scapes
02-08-2008, 07:50 AM
I have been noticing that there have been an awful lot of new contributors to this forum lately and I just wanted to say to all of you welcome, and we look forward to getting to know you. This forum is very informative, and there are some here who have spent decades helping to build this incredible industry, so you know there is some very quality and valuable information disseminated here. These are some very exciting times for the lighting industry with all the new technology emerging everyday, so please feel free to join in and participate with us in our many diverse discussions. We look forward to hearing more from you. If you know someone else in the lighting industry that doesn't know about this site, Pass it on so that it may be a help to them as well.
Light on!!

Good post Tim but please new guys. Keep pricing and such in pm's or emails. I cant beilive how many new guys jump on here throwing pricing around. Unproffesional! Like Tim said you will find a ton of info here and alot of help from some industry leaders but keep in mind you will get fried if you ask for help on a hacked in job. Many of us are VERY passionate about our lighting.

barefeetny
02-18-2008, 12:00 AM
thanks guys..

i'm a new guy who has been lurking around... scoping out all the cool stuff you guys have been doing...

I'm hoping to learn a few things here and there. i'm almost ashamed to say i havn't done much ligh$ting other then a few lamp posts and those cheesy solar powered walkway lights...

do any of the major manufacturers offer any hands on training seminars.... or is this just a buisness where you read tons, learn and experiment as you go along?

Nate

Lite4
02-18-2008, 01:19 AM
Hi Nate,
I am sure some manu reps can fill you in on where to get some basic training. Don't worry about what you have done in the past for lighting, we all had to start at the bottom and learn our way up. Stick around and you will learn some very valuable info. More than likely, if you are looking for specific info, do a search in this foruml. It has probably been discussed at one time or another.

klkanders
02-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Welcome Nate,
If you get a chance to attend some seminars or training locally take advantage of it. You will always pick up some knowledge at these you will be able to use.
I dont know how much you have already read on this lighting forum. When I first discovered it I could not stop until I read everything. Since then the activity here has grown so it would be a challenge but you would come away with lots of questions answered. Good Luck!

barefeetny
02-18-2008, 10:58 AM
:)i have been steady reading as i go along.... there is a ton of info......

My problem is i allways have been a very visual learner.... i love to read but there is something about seeing the actual subject in person

I managed to get a degree, hundreds of silly certificates inclluding all my osha training.... lisenced emmisions estimator(smoke reader)... but for me to truly pick something up and put it in practice.... i need pictures, video, or just to work with someone...

Thats why i figured a class would be helpful.... its a shame rutgers is 2 hours away as it seems they have all sorts of classes related to the landscaping professional...

thank you all for the help and if anyone knows of a manufactuer who does any training in ny that would be great... Going to savios water training institute in april:)

thanks again for taking the time to take a step backwards for the new guys

Nate

klkanders
02-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Nate, I know what you mean about the hands-on type of learning. What I have done is look at as many manufactuer websites as possible. (Unique,Cast,Kichler,Vista,Hadco,etcc.) Most should have a training or seminar tab to see if they will be offering any training in your area. Or just give them a call as they might not be up to date. Also call any distributors in your area and ask the same thing. It is amazing how many seminars and training sessions that take place the first 4-5 months each year. I am confident you will find something. Good Luck!

barefeetny
02-18-2008, 01:11 PM
thanks again guys

Doing a little research i found that vista has a 3 hour lighting course somewhat in my area.. imagine that.... its a free deal but i belive it will be a good start.....I probably will pay and drive to some of the other comp seminars in the future.....

can anyone suggest a few good books that will shorten up my learning curve a little...

Thanks again
Nate

Lite4
02-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Nate, The landscape lighting resource manual would be a good one for you to start out with. It is written by Nate Mullen, the owner of Unique lighting. you can purchase through their website.