PDA

View Full Version : Another ? about Stripes

HLC
11-02-2001, 01:15 PM
Hi everyone,
As you can see, this is my first post. I have been a "silent" participant all summer and have really learned a lot. I appreciate all of the good advice that you can get here. First of all, I am a solo operation and have just completed my first season and I'm calling it a success. My question is about stripes. I have been reading all of the posts on the topic and have been admiring the pictures (and yes, Eric, you are the stripe GOD! awesome work!). Enough rambling. I have tried the recommended techniques, however, I haven't installed a stripe kit. I've mainly tried lowering the deck by a 1/4 in front, make a pass, turn around and come back and can't really tell much difference. I am using a Hustler Shortcut w/60" s.d. My question is, do some grasses stripe better than others? (I am sure they do) and is it not worth even attempting on certain types? The majority of the grass here in central Alabama is bermuda or centipede. I don't see anyone else around here striping so I want to set myself apart. If the reason no one else is doing it is because it just can't be done here, I'll quit wasting time. Any help is appreciated....Joe

Double D
11-02-2001, 04:07 PM
Hard to do on bermuda, and it only last a day or two.

vipermanz
11-02-2001, 04:27 PM
Welcome To Lawnsite!!:)
I am also in al and cannot get anything with bermuda to stripe

HLC
11-02-2001, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys, that's about what I figured. Are there any southern grasses that do stripe well...just in case I stumble across a prop. with something other than centipede, bermuda, or bahia.

a1 lawncare
11-03-2001, 10:29 AM
i do alot of bermuda yards and stripes are a not very effective, the best grasses for me have been fescue variaties, also raising the mowing hieght to at least 3.5" this is the only turf type that i've gotten good results with. once again welcome aboard and good luck..

keith