PDA

View Full Version : UMASS Winter Turf Classes

boats47
02-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Just curious to see how many of you went to this a couple of weeks ago and what you thoughts were on some of the topics. I have to say the last lecture on plant biology was....well lets say not the best choice for the audience.
I was not sure about the whole crane fly talk and the relevacy to New England, when they are not predicted to hit us for several years. I would like know if any of you guys out in NY or upper mid west have or are dealing with the crane fly? I could not believe the damage that follows them, worse then grubs it seems. Even the clean up entailed after you treat a lawn is trremendous. Do you guys who treat for this put that in your estimate for treatment?

RigglePLC
02-08-2008, 03:21 PM
I spotted a few in Michigan fall of 05, in very wet areas. They were not the European type, just ordinary native species. Scary--look like 2 inch long mosquitoes--hundreds. Don't bite, but the grubs are a problem out west--no problem here. I only paniced for a few minutes. LOL.

TSM
02-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Just curious to see how many of you went to this a couple of weeks ago and what you thoughts were on some of the topics. I have to say the last lecture on plant biology was....well lets say not the best choice for the audience.
I was not sure about the whole crane fly talk and the relevacy to New England, when they are not predicted to hit us for several years. I would like know if any of you guys out in NY or upper mid west have or are dealing with the crane fly? I could not believe the damage that follows them, worse then grubs it seems. Even the clean up entailed after you treat a lawn is trremendous. Do you guys who treat for this put that in your estimate for treatment?

yeah, I was there but in the other room (business owners track) which was a good day (except only one recertification credit awarded)
Had one employee in the room you're talking about. I asked him how it was....not much response from him....I'm think he probably slept through most of it?

I would recommend you try the business owners side next year. Its not gonna get you the recert credits but lots of good info on general business operations. This was the second year they ran that seminar, this year was a bit better than last year and I expect next year will be even better.

boats47
02-08-2008, 07:27 PM
TSM I will have to check that lecture out, I have more than enough credits so thats not a factor.

TSM
02-09-2008, 12:26 AM
TSM I will have to check that lecture out, I have more than enough credits so thats not a factor.

it will be worth your while I'm sure
cost a bit more...but lunch is provided.
this year there was about 40 of us. last year about 30-35 so its a smaller more intimate crowd. Very comfortable seating (which is a plus when your there all day)

we are members of MALCP (MA Association of Lawn Care Professionals) and get a discounted price. If you're interested, and if you remember for next year, contact me on this site and we'll sign you up with us so you'll get the discount as well...I think the discount is about $25, so it wont break the bank but it will pay for your gas to get there.

later

boats47
02-09-2008, 11:02 AM
TSM,
If our company does not become a member of MALCPthis year, I will take you up on that offer. Thank you
Boats