PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for shop.

lawnboy82
11-02-2001, 02:20 PM
Hey guys and gals. I am supposed to be moving into my shop this month if everything goes according to plan. Here is a little info on the place: its an area about 30' by 40' maybe a bit larger. Heated, electric, 1 garage door, 1 regular door, cement floor, located under a deli. Outdoor storage would provide for about 4 or 5 truck / trailer combos. This will be my only shop. What necesities will I need to make this place workable, and do you guys have any tips for how to arrange the area? The garage door is located in one corner of the 40' run, the other door is located about 15 feet to the right of that.

lawnboy82
11-02-2001, 02:25 PM
I should probably post what I am going to store in there: about 10 - 12 walk behinds / 10 walk behind blowers / 10 push mowers / some fertilizer / some hand tools (shovels, picks, etc) plenty of trimmers and back packs / Ladders / tarps / etc. I already have an air compressor. It's a small HD 20 gallon one? For outside they have 2 dumpsters for the deli which get filled up rather quickly. Also I have 1 trailer now that sits there, I will be adding another one on top of that this winter. There will also be like 4 trucks that sit there during the night and what not.

LoneStarLawn
11-02-2001, 02:27 PM
Why don't you take a picture of the place with all the stuff and show us so we can get a feel for what can be done.

lawnboy82
11-02-2001, 02:47 PM
Alan, as much as I would love to do that. Taking the picture of the shop would be the least hard thing to do. There is all kinds of junk in there :( I will see what I can do though in another week. As for the equipment, it's all over the place. Getting it all to one location will be very nice. That means that everything will be inside, easy to work on, and in one location instead of having to go all over the county looking for a mower that works :(. Then when you finally find the mower you gotta fight with all the other equipment to get it out of the shed. This will be really nice. The people who own the deli are doing work on the place now (major renovations) and once they are done, which should be very shortly as they have told me I can move in. Basically I just wanted to get a shopping list together and a rough floor plan.

Martino
11-02-2001, 02:56 PM
What kind of HVAC system? Are there vent fans installed? What are your plans for used oil, etc? Parts washer, shop towels, block and tackle or other lift. Check with local authorities as to storing equipment with gasoline in it. Alarm system? Maybe window tint so you can't see in.

lawnboy82
11-02-2001, 03:04 PM
As far as vent fans go, I figure that I will leave the garage door open if I have to and maybe get a big cheapo fan. There are only windows on the garage door, and on the regular door, regular door they have been painted over, and the garage door is somewhat high up. The used oil I take to my town which desposes of it. Running water is something that this is lacking. I believe that there is a hose spigot out back, but that's about it. I do have a plumber who I do work for, so bartering is possible. There is also of course no bathroom acess from the shop once the deli closes :(. I hope that they will give me a key to get in, but I highly doubt it. As for visibility of the garage, it is in the back of the building. The doors can both be locked. The only people who know that something is down there are people who work for the deli, and a few other people. It is very non-visable from the road. The place is not even 2 miles from my home. (2 traffic lights)

cos
11-02-2001, 03:22 PM
Hey it's Lawnboy!!!!! Are you getting smacked around up there in college? Just kiddin'!

I agree, take a couple photos of this joint and I am sure you will get alot of opinions then.

AztlanLC
11-02-2001, 05:54 PM
Pictures! Pictures!

I tought you had quit this biz to got to college and now all of the sudden you have 10 walk behinds and 5 trucks, I thik we'd like to give us some advice about this biz.

MOW ED
11-02-2001, 06:35 PM
Find a garage under a Bar and then I'll personally come out and help you set it up.:cool:

Guido
11-02-2001, 06:38 PM
gave up a while back. Who's running the biz while your up at school all year?

mdb landscaping
11-02-2001, 06:46 PM
i thought you wrecked your truck. how can you have that many walk behinds and blowers? i dont beleive you to say the least. show us a pic to prove it.

Runner
11-02-2001, 06:53 PM
I think he is refering to future tense. I'll tell you ONE piece of advice to save you some space, give up the idea of ten to twelve wb's, and buy yourself 2 or three lazers. Same cutting power, alot less space.:p

65hoss
11-02-2001, 07:13 PM
You mean you have to find your equipment and drive all over the county to find one that works? You were ready to go bankrupt not long ago after a truck wreck. Your employees were screwing you over. Now your renting a shop?

I don't understand how you go from point A and get to J.

XOFMOT
11-02-2001, 07:35 PM
SEE! This is what happens when you get beat up by your boss!

If this is all TRUE, I'm sure the deli is going to love the smell of fertilizer in the morning, the exhaust fumes when your crew of 10 guys fires up all those WB's. All this while in school....hmmmmm...Where did the rest of us go wrong?

Randy Scott
11-02-2001, 08:34 PM
"Like sands through the hour glass, so go the Days of our Lives".
I guess it's cheap entertainment following the continuous loads of crap.

Nick
11-02-2001, 08:46 PM
Thats funny because I just bought a warehouse for my fleet of 50 dc's and upstairs their are beds for little elfs that ride them. :alien:

Runner
11-02-2001, 08:51 PM
Actually, he posted quite a while back about possibly getting into this shop. I remember about the agreement with the landlord, and he also takes care of the property, if I'm not mistaken...

stslawncare
11-02-2001, 09:00 PM
hey to from a to j by skipping bc and all the others :-)

jjfehr
11-02-2001, 09:33 PM
this is a message sent to me from lawnboy-----
------------------------------------------------------------

Nice try!!
so how are you doing on finding all about me? Sorry you waisted your time Come visit the best blimpie franchise in South Haven in 4.5 more weeks. -------
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Man that is crazy!
a few customers to 50 walk behinds, shop, and I guess we we better not forget the Blimpe franchise. How can you manage all of this with school? you are a freak. What is it like to hide behind a computer screen and pretend to be somebody? Quit wasting your time and go make something of yourself! What school do you go to? If you are that in need of being loved, go ask your mom to give you a hug!

Flex-Deck
11-02-2001, 09:45 PM
I built a 32 by 40 shed at one time thinking I could park everything in it and then invite a bunch over to roller skate- Guess what - My truck sits outside - half my mowers sit outside. If you think you need 30 x 40 you actually should build or buy 60 x 1000.

cos
11-02-2001, 11:25 PM
This reminds me of Green Finger. The dude used to be in a gang and was identifying bodies on a regular basis. His buddy got shot with a hollow tip bullet and didn't even know it. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. He wen't from gangster to a family man, living in the burbs with kids and went to church too.

What really got me was that alot of posters here fell for that one!!!!!

These stories kill me, keep 'em coming. I will continue to come here for a good laugh from time to time. I love it! :D

Jay ALC
11-02-2001, 11:40 PM
I have a single response to this thread: :D Thanks for all the entertainment guys.

cos
11-02-2001, 11:45 PM
Did a search....Here it is.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10687&perpage=20&pagenumber=3

In life you have wannabees and you have the real deal.

Jason has a great point.

Before there was lawncare, marriage, college, and Jesus.

I was in a Gang. Let me tell you. It was not cool. Your mentallity is that of a terrorist. You don't fear anything. If you were robbing someone. If they looked at you wrong they got atleast pison whipped. If not shot.

I have seen first hand what guns can do. One of my boys shot 19 times, another hog tied and shot in the head, another shot in the back with a shot gun. (his head swelled up like a basket ball.) The story goes on.

One of my best homie was shot twice with hollow tips. When they shot him, he didn't even know right away. He just started throwing up green stuff followed by blood. Thick dark blood, think dark heavy blood. It wouldn't stop comming out. The only thing that saved him was he was a heavy set guy. (he lived by the grace of GOD) Now, he has a 3inch wide scare from his throat down past his navel. The doctors had to slice him open like a pig.

Question?
How many of you guys got phone calls around 3:00am because your friend or love one, got a cap busted in him. Come identify the body.

Come identify the body.

That was routine for me. You start to become numb you stay high and drunk so you don't have to deal with pain. (It's like the vietnam effect)

For all you pistol toating fellas. We rolled heavy and deep. DE, SW, Glocks 45,Tec 9, Sigs, we had it all. Can you imagine carrying a piece because you had to. We didn't carry for protection, we carried for survial.

I don't know how it is your area of the country. But here in D.C. it's rough. Like Jason said, it's the front lines.

When you encounter a thug, You must remember they have nothing to loose. They are confused, high,drunk, possessed by devils. Chances are they don't value life. So if you wanna be a Rambo. That's how they want to go. They want to be bragg about when they die.

Regular people don't want to go out like that. They aleast want to be around to see their children and grandchildren.

Don't get me wrong, my house has be broken into and I live in the subs Now. I was upset and mad. But you what, me, My wife, and child was Blessed by God not to be there.

This is not a black, white, liberal, republican thing, it's an eternity thing.

I'm for the right of having arms in your homes and defending it if it comes to that.
But you have to count the cost. Are you willing to go out like that. Costing a life.

I know this may sound like a sermon or one of those public announcements. I just wanted to share some stories of the past with you.

You guys be safe out there, Cuz I'll be praying for us all.

Peace.

little green guy
11-03-2001, 12:39 AM
I'm confussed :confused: I can't keep up with you lawnboy.

RMDoyon
11-03-2001, 07:37 AM
little green guy,

The reason you are confused is because lawnboy82's stories are a figment of his imagination.

He cannot possibly keep continuity among his numerous "experiences" because they are not based on reality.

Roger

Island Lawn
11-03-2001, 06:08 PM
LB 82

All these replies feeding your frenzy?

It dosen't even matter that everyone calls out your BS!

dlandscaping
11-04-2001, 12:19 AM
lawnboy-
when are u going to reply to all your replies?

Guido
11-04-2001, 04:05 AM
It'll be a while until he can fabricate a good story to fish himself out of this one!

65hoss
11-04-2001, 10:12 AM
He's very busy with work, school, blimpie, new shop, employees, truck, etc, to answer right now.

a1 lawncare
11-04-2001, 10:33 AM
lawnboy has got it going on!!!!!!!! a fleet of trucks, an army of wb's, and all kinds of other equipment, i'm impressed, if my calculations are right you should be able to do both of your accounts in less than 5 minutes. hope your learning something at school, quit day dreaming so much. like flex-deck said build or rent as big as you can, my shop is 32'wX40'd and all i do is wade thru equipment, gotta keep the bass boat somewhere. if and when i do it again i'm building a 60X100 and i don't have near the equipment you (say you) have. all i want is a small office and a fleet of migrant workers, i'll watch jerry springer while there out raking in the dough(he he he)

i am green with envy:alien:

keith

keep em coming, i can use a good laugh

ps. maybe you should find yourself a girlfriend while your at school
looks like you've got plenty of free time.

AltaLawnCare
11-04-2001, 10:45 AM
Next months post will be how a group of underground lawncare extremists attacked LB's new shop and destroyed all of the 20 wb's and the other millions of dollars of equipment stored there.:o

a1 lawncare
11-04-2001, 11:03 AM
strange terrorist attack has local authorities baffled, in what has been described the most bizare terrorist attack to date a small deli in new york has been attacked by some form of terrorist using what appears to be lawn equipment local autorities are keeping civilians and reporters outside a 5 mile radius as the attackers are armed with everything from pick-axes to full out z's with double blades. we can't get close enough to tell right now, but this could be a real blood-bath.

Chuck Sinclair
11-04-2001, 11:26 AM
It's about time every one see lawnboy82 for what he is, a wanna be losser!

Runner
11-04-2001, 12:55 PM
Again, after carefully reading his posts, all I see is a young man with dream, - and ambition. There is nothing wrong with that. That's what America is made from. In his posts, he tell us of a 30x40 shop area with ONE door, and ONE service door. He didn't say a warehouse, with 12 doors. He tells us that there is enough area outside the shop for possibly 4 to 5 truck&trailer combos, but he ALSO tells us that he has ONE trailer no, and will possibly be getting another sometime over the winter. (Maybe if all goes well - I sometimes tell myself the same kind of thing, at times - I think we ALL do). Well, this one trailer tells us the caliber that he is at right now. He isn't claiming to have ten walkbehinds, he is just telling us where his GOALS are for this shop. Sure, maybe the "ten pushblowers" aren't a practical idea, and alot of here KNOW that, but he is young, inexperienced, and he'll see more and know more about the operations as he goes along. It would have been very easy for ME to see things that way at his age, too, with inexperience. But there is nothing WRONGH with that. He tells us he has a compressor that is a 20 gallon. I think that THIS is realistic, too. All he is doing, is setting his goals high. If you do that, you're not settling for some mediocre result as if you would when you just have a "good enough" attitude. We've all been told this before; Aim High. But basically, before we all jump on this "bandwagon" of mob mentality and attack him,(Because that's eXACTly what's going on here,) maybe we should all take two steps back and take a good long look at ourselves and some the dreams, goals, and ideas WE have had in our lives. The guy is asking for advice, and we're treating him like a damn dog (or something just short of a human being, ANYway). I think we have enough crap and anymosity going on in this world today already without us having to gang up on some kid who, by the way is working to better himself and BE someone in his life. That aLONE is commendable in this day and age.

Ric
11-04-2001, 01:34 PM
Runner

A men We are all here to help ourselves by helping each other.

Lawnboy

Come on back we really do love you or we would not of jumped on you so hard.

Al lawncare

I have never laught so hard. I wet my pants.

SCHOOL STONED sorry LB I had to do it but your man enough to take it and I only mean it in fun