PDA

View Full Version : How old is your Permagreen?

Blink74
02-08-2008, 01:45 PM
This is a two part question: First, how old is your Permagreen. Second, have you had to repair it. If so, what repairs and how much did it cost.

Please don't turn this into a Z vs PG thread.

Thanks

ted putnam
02-08-2008, 02:17 PM
4 year old Ultra. 385 hrs. 1 Cutch. 1 pump. 1 Battery. 3 Throttle cables. I just put a new set of front tires on it this winter. I keep the oil changed,grease it etc... I try to take care of it because it takes care of me. :)I only use it about 3.5 of my 6 rounds.

RigglePLC
02-08-2008, 02:54 PM
About 5 year old Ultra. I think about 500 hours--the hour meter quit about 18 months ago. New battery, new pump. Fuse, and neutral safety switch corroded--discarded. Installed generic starter button ($8.00). Rewired some corroded conections.

Blink74
02-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Do you guys feel they still have a good bit of life in them?

indyturf
02-08-2008, 06:30 PM
I have a 01 Centri with about 300 hrs. just simple maintenance so far.
I had 2 Magnums that I sold last year with about 400hrs. had replace almost everything over the last 3 years lol eng,trans,cables,pump,spinner box,tires but they did a good job. if you can get a good deal on a used one buy it! most parts are easily replaced and not too expensive. keep the maintenance up and they should last many years and thousands of hours. my personal opinion is I like the Centri best because of its simple design and it handles hills better than the Magnum.

ted putnam
02-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I think mine has a lot of life left in it. I'm about to take it to the mower shop and have it tuned up. I think the carb needs adjustment. I've lost some RPM's over the years. Overall, I've loved it. In retrospect, I probably wore the clutch out because I hardly take it out of high gear, even on most hills. Laziness:nono: I pushed a spreader for so many years... it helps this 42 yr old get through the day!

meets1
02-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Ultra - 500 hours. 1 belt, 2 pumps, throttle cable, new spinner, a few new conncetions due to corresion, over all great little machine. Only thing I would wish for was that it was a honda ( which is now available) but that is it. Oil, greese, maintain unit.

americanlawn
02-08-2008, 08:14 PM
We have two 2004 Ultras. Both are on their 3rd set of tires. We've replaced wiring, clutches, throttle springs, shifter rods, plastic gears for impeller drive, and several other things...sometimes more than once. For more difficult repairs, we've had both of them tied up for nearly a month at a local Toro dealer who works on them. Both still run, but I think they are on their last leg. Mufflers are loud too.

RigglePLC
02-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Oh! I forgot. Replaced both ball and socket joints (Upper and lower) on the tranny shifter. 2006 and 2007. Easy repair--cost about $14, each. Also rust on the control cable for the third hole adjustment, replaced with lawn mower generic type--also rusted. Discarded because I never use it.

ted putnam
02-08-2008, 11:36 PM
We have two 2004 Ultras. Both are on their 3rd set of tires. We've replaced wiring, clutches, throttle springs, shifter rods, plastic gears for impeller drive, and several other things...sometimes more than once. For more difficult repairs, we've had both of them tied up for nearly a month at a local Toro dealer who works on them. Both still run, but I think they are on their last leg. Mufflers are loud too.

For pete's sake, 3rd set of tires for both of them. It sounds like they don't get a lunch break with the rest of your guys:laugh: I forgot. I have replaced the impeller gear and I now replace the belt periodically and keep a spare on the truck. The belt broke one time while I was in a customers back yard. About an acre and a half lawn. It was a barrel of laughs pushing that thing 4-500 ft back to the trailer and pushing it up the ramp.

rcreech
02-08-2008, 11:39 PM
PG Magnum starting on its third season.

Have not replaced anything big yet.

Just a couple springs, deflector cable and pull rope on Honda.

Key is taking care of your equipment (PM) and keeping it clean!

Blink74
02-09-2008, 11:31 PM
I know there are a lot more PGs out there than this?

grassguy_
02-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Ted,
I have a number of Centris still being used, though they are basically all new as everything has been revamped, rebuilt or reconditoned, lol. I have tore them down completely and even painted the stainless, was tired of looking at weld burns. All have the Kaw engines now as opposed to the Wis-Robins and most have modifications that were updates when the ultras and Magnums came out. Bought most of them mid to late 90's.

Forever Green Lawn
02-10-2008, 10:43 AM
We run several PG's, but the oldest one is an '01 Centri w/ about 1400 hours on it. We've replaced the throttle cable several times, the hopper cable, rebuilt the generator a couple of times, rebuilt the trans a few times(new case, same internals), upgraded the pump to a 2 gpm flojet, reworked the brakes a few times. I've also put 1 carb on it and a coil, changed the wiring and I think 1 set of front tires, a few idler pulleys, the deflector shield and a few clutches.
This machine is still used daily and it runs good. The tank, hopper, plumbing, frame, axles, engine, brake lines, and articulating joints are all origional.

philk17088
02-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Ultra-540 hours.
Transaxle
spinner angle gears ($ouch$)
pump
1 set of tires
ignition coil
2 neutral safety switches
2 batteries
3 diodes
2 throttle cables
flywheel cover/starter rope
starter motor.
clutch
2 belts
but it beats walking.

Blink74
02-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Seems like most repairs are on older units are the magnums more reliable?

When the time comes to replace your units, will you get another PG or look elsewhere?

Forever Green Lawn
02-10-2008, 01:15 PM
I've never used a Magnum, but 4 of my guys have and they don't like 'em. They are more expensive to fix than the older machines as well. I've added a few machines this winter and they were all older, used ones.

rcreech
02-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Seems like most repairs are on older units are the magnums more reliable?

When the time comes to replace your units, will you get another PG or look elsewhere?

That has always been my point on here!

You will often see guys on here talking about working on their PG's, and people bashing PG's but they are the older models.

The newest PG has been improved bigtime!

Don't get me wrong as I think every machine (PG, Z etc) has its problems...but you will find the PG Magnum very dependable overall!

Guys love to bash the "PG" but they are not talking about the newest model! Not really fair...but that is fine! Some people just get off on bashing them and then will talk about how superior their machine is!

I love my PG Magnum! It hasn't let me down yet and I would say after round 1 this spring it will have been over 1000 acres.

americanlawn
02-10-2008, 03:24 PM
For pete's sake, 3rd set of tires for both of them. It sounds like they don't get a lunch break with the rest of your guys:laugh: I forgot. I have replaced the impeller gear and I now replace the belt periodically and keep a spare on the truck. The belt broke one time while I was in a customers back yard. About an acre and a half lawn. It was a barrel of laughs pushing that thing 4-500 ft back to the trailer and pushing it up the ramp.

Hi Ted -- we probably replace tires sooner than most guys. We also use two gallons of RV antifreeze per tire instead of one gallon. This way we get better traction and stability on hills....a common prob w/PG units. Also it helps prevent me from tipping or rolling over the machine.:laugh: Especially cuz the brakes suck.

Mason

ted putnam
02-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi Ted -- we probably replace tires sooner than most guys. We also use two gallons of RV antifreeze per tire instead of one gallon. This way we get better traction and stability on hills....a common prob w/PG units. Also it helps prevent me from tipping or rolling over the machine.:laugh: Especially cuz the brakes suck.

Mason

I'm sure running them on asphalt doesn't help either. If you do lot of commercial properties that can be an issue. I have a suzuki king quad that I've eaten or I should say my 13 yr old has worn out like that. I looked to see when exactly I bought my Ultra. I wrote the check May 6, 2004.One thing we have to remember is we put these machines through hell. 99% of the repairs I've seen posted on here were little things and for the most part inexpensive to repair. They could really be considered normal wear and tear. Have I looked at other machines? I'd be a liar if I said I hadn't,and I'd be crazy if I didn't look at other options...I'm serious about my business. Am I sorry I bought the PG? NO WAY. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't change a thing.

LawnDFortCollins
02-12-2008, 04:20 PM
i have used an ultra and i am going on my third season w/ the magnum. I think the magnum is over all the best of all three. Everything from speed, to spray. I am averaging about 300 hr a season on it. We are think of getting another one next winter to replace one of our centri.

Blink74
02-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanx, for the replies guys. I'm just waiting for a couple of bids to come back before I make a purchase. One way or the other, I need to get a ride-on and your responses have helped me decide.