PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Q4?

meets1
02-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Looking at using that this spring thru our first apps - instead of running trimic and deminsion. Any good? Who has used it?

americanlawn
02-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Looking at using that this spring thru our first apps - instead of running trimic and deminsion. Any good? Who has used it?

Victor suggested we try it. So we started using it last summer. It worked GREAT! Knocks out crabgrass & foxtail FAST. Even "killed" (not suppress) nutsedge.

It's expensive, so I would only use it in a backpack sprayer (hope you have a battery-powered one). Victor has more experience with it than I do. Hope he chimes in.

Where are you located? I'm originally from Primghar.:waving:

PSUTURFGEEK
02-08-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm hoping I can help you with this, Q4 is a post emergant crabgrass,broadleaf and nutsedge control which means you will need to use dimension or another pre E like you always would and than monitor with Q4 later in the season after some germination has occurred. if yopu were to go ouit the door with Q4 instead of a Pre m you the Q4 would be gone in a very short time, almost no residule.
The short of this is you don't wanna use a post as a pre in most cases, and since some people are getting Q4 for like 100.00 / acre heck I might use it for everything.

Victor
02-08-2008, 10:33 PM
While I agree that Q4's a wonderful product, you definitely will want to still apply a good pre em (like Dimension). I normally don't whip out the Q4 backpack though until late May, or June. It's too expensive to use before that. Until that time of year, I use a good broadleaf herbicide like Speedzone exclusively.

By the time June rolls around, you're going to want to have Q4, or at least some other product like Surge that will be able to knock out any nutsedge you come across. I keep Q4 loaded this time of year, because unlike Surge, it not only knocks out nutsedge, but it also knocks out crabs and foxtails like Larry said.

In case you didn't know it Meets, June is prime time to really knock out nutsedge. That's when it's most vulnerable in our zone. Remember that.

zimmatic
02-09-2008, 08:31 AM
I will agree with victor. I used Q4 for the first time last year and it is a really good product. It is a little spendy but not one client complained when they where billed for it. I had alot of break through with crabgrass in some yards last year and almost every client thanked me for getting rid of the crabgrass, again no complaints on the price I charged them. It worked so well in one neighborhood that I picked up new clients since there national lawn spraying service couldnt get rid of there breakthrough crabgrass.

meets1
02-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Q4 - wondering how well it worked. I was told by my rep to try during the 2nd app that is applied. By that time it will show what I missed or crept thru. Being from primghar - I have a about a days worth of spraying there!!

FdLLawnMan
02-09-2008, 10:42 AM
I used it last year for my mid summer spot treatment. It worked extremely well for that but I think you would go poor using it for a blanket application.

duncan7455
02-09-2008, 11:11 AM
I have used Q4 for two years awesome product. would not reccomend blanket applying it thought. It does have some phytotoxicity if conditions are not favorable, be careful. Mixed with a little surfactant works even faster

meets1
02-09-2008, 11:16 AM
I think I may pre-order some for the discount and give it a try. So basically from what I am reading here - great product for extra/blacket protection.

Again my biggest problem area is crab grass. Be it our 1st app, weather timing, etc doesn't always work in your favor.

boats47
02-09-2008, 11:17 AM
I started using Q4 this past year and great results with it, even on ground ivy!!! I did find that if I spiked the tank with Quicksilver, I only had to apply once to ground ivy for a good kill. I will find out this spring how effective it was in totally taking it out, I won't go to the bank just yet. Hopefully the $ will drop on this product, so that it can used more offten, rather than the spot spray for really troubled lawns.

duncan7455
02-09-2008, 11:28 AM
yeah it cost me around the same for one gallon of Q4 as it does a 2.5 gallon jug of surge

Victor
02-09-2008, 01:11 PM
I used it last year for my mid summer spot treatment. It worked extremely well for that but I think you would go poor using it for a blanket application.

You definitely can't use it for blanket apps. It's too expensive for that.

americanlawn
02-10-2008, 03:55 PM
meets1 -- You should only need one app of pre (late March -- April) cuz you are far enough north. You can always pull out the Q4 in late July or August if you have breakthrough. Are you the service out of Orange City?. My parents (Primghar) use a lawn service from O.C. sometimes, but I think there is now some guy in town that offers lawn service too???

3 or 4 years ago, I drove up there (4 hours) and sprayed my parents' lawn with Chaser out of a PG Ultra to kill out their creeping Charlie. Every Christmas, I leave them a 50 lb bag of pre w/fert so they can spread it themselves. They live in a new development in SE Primghar.

RigglePLC
02-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Sure Larry I do the same thing. Drive 4 hours to treat my elderly mom's lawn--however--I apply it for her in the fall, Prodiamine--a little extra in crabgrass prone areas. I plan for it to last till spring--and summer.

Meet1, Q4 is excellent, but he rate is high, 3 to 4 ounces per 1000 sqft, i think. So it is costly. Try using crabgrass control such a Dimension or prodiamine at at higher rate if you have crabgrass prone areas. As a last resort, or to be extra sure--apply a second application about early June.

meets1
02-10-2008, 06:33 PM
NO where not the ones out of Orange City. They do all these "heritage estate" properties that your parents problem live in - due to relationships with the builder. I don't under stand there way of spraying. They have a lesco ride that they use side by side there liquid tank. So what they do is come out to every yard with 2 vehicles - one liquid, one with bags of fert. They apply all dry with lesco ride on and spray broadleaf with there spray unit. Waste of time if you ask me. But they do this on probably 1000 accounts.