PDA

View Full Version : I wanted to go postal

cajuncutter
11-02-2001, 09:09 PM
Several weeks ago one of my customers called me up to tell me that her plumber was there and replaced a sprinkler head, that I supposidly broke, while he was there doing other things. I figured no big deal. At the most they would charge her $10 bucks for a $1.99 part. Well I get to her house a couple of days after I get this call and she shows me the head. It was not evident that one of my stick edgers had broken it. By the way this thing was located right on the curb at the street. So I told her this time I would eat the cost, what ever it was going to be, and after this I was not going to buy anymore sprinkler heads from plumbers. I told her that she needed to have it moved away from the street, that it was in a bad location. Well this week I arrive at her house. She comes out and tells me that she had the bill and she told me the cost. $59 bucks she says. I looked at her like she was nutts. I said mam I would like to see this bill. She brings it out to me and sure enough it was $59. I asked her to explain this fee. She said that is was for the cost of having the head moved into the yard. I told her that there was no way I was going to pay for this. She inturn tells me that I told her to have it done. I guess she assumed at my expense. I told her it will be a cold day in hell before I pay that. I told her I would give her $10 for the head and that was it. She fought it for another 15 minutes. I looked at her and said..lady if I told you that you need to have a tree trimmed are you going to have it done and send me the bill? She said no and that this is different. I told her she was out of her f$%^ing mind and that she will need to find a new LCO. Anyone out there ever have this happen? By the way she finally gave in and told me she did not want anyone else. For the most part she has been a good customer for the last 3 years and she is a 12 month customer. I guess I will stick around..customers can be such a pain in the arse!!!!

Randy Scott
11-02-2001, 09:25 PM
I guess $59 doesn't seem too bad. Just because the part is $2 doesn't mean there isn't a service call as well. Is he supposed to go there for $10, would you. I am not trying to piss you off, but you might be missing the point that the guys time is worth money as well as yours. If she has been a decent customer for three years that is worth something also. Keep her happy, you'll be able to make that $59 up somewhere along the way. Any add-on work should have that taken into consideration and you are in a win win situation without her knowing it. Good luck with it.

Runner
11-02-2001, 10:00 PM
Well, it was said that he was already there doing some other things. But, MY question is, is what kind of plumber works on outdoor SPRINKLER heads! What, does she call an electrician to reset her timer clock, too? What kind of Mickey Mouse outfit IS this? Or, is he a plumber / sprinkler guy / carpenter / painter / heart surgeon? You should tell her that next time YOU will fix it! That isn't right to just lay a bill on you without you having the opportunity to repair (or atleast get it repaired) yourself. And as far as the moving bill thing, well, that's HER problem!:blob4:

cajuncutter
11-02-2001, 11:43 PM
Randy I do not know if it is clear in my first post or not, she showed me the sprinkler head that got repaired or replaced if you will. I in turn told her I would eat it this time. Then I told her to move it. This means she made a call to this plumber and told him to come out and move it. He had already replaced the head. I got charged for both.

Runner I had already replaced it once. My cost was a trip to Home Depot and a buck 99!! She knew I was capable of doing this but she used her own judgement and had him replace it. Like his rainbird product was better than mine!! go figure...I do not know what kind of outfit she had there..all I know is she is tight and he probably was some looser that is an oppertunist
:angry:

cos
11-03-2001, 12:16 AM
Randy,

You missed the point all together. This woman had work done that benefits who? HER. And then turns to him and wants paymnet for the moving of a sprinkler head. Why didn't she get them all replaced and moved and then submitt a bill to the landscaper? This is a no brainer.....don't pay her, but for the damage to the head itself.