PDA

View Full Version : Pricing for Trenching per foot

treborie
02-08-2008, 09:49 PM
I was asked by a electrical contractor to give him a price per foot to trench out (12 inches deep) for them to run thier conduit/wires etc and then back fill it.
Was wondering if any of you do this kind of subcontracing work and what you charge. I live in the Norht East (NY) and could use a little help on the going rate.
He calls in the "Call Before You Dig" Number. All I do is show up dig (manually - no ditch witch) where the run is and backfill when they finish

Eden Lights
02-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Manually, like with a shovel? For Line Voltage 12"? No way!

eagle irrigation
02-08-2008, 10:04 PM
I never charge by the foot. I always charge for my time. Ground conditions can vary greatly from site to site. 100 foot of trench on one job could take 5 times longer than another if you are hand digging. Go look at the site, figure out what you want to make and convert to a price per foot. Only way not to get screwed.

Lite4
02-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Time and material only. No fixed price for unknowns.

irrig8r
02-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Time and material only. No fixed price for unknowns.

Unless of course you have x-ray vision and can tell what rubble, rocks, etc. lie in your path... And what about soil type and conditions?

For instance, dry clay is a real bear by hand, but add a clay spade on a demo hammer and you can do it faster and more easily... OTOH wet clay is soft to dig, but heavy and sticks to you shovel...

Lite4
02-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Holy Cow Gregg, did you get the X-ray upgrade package? I hear it is fantastic. I am hoping I can sell enough this year to go in and have it done. Other guys I talk to who have had it say that it saves them so much time running back and forth to their trailers to get shovels, picks, bars, etc... I can't wait!!!:laugh:

irrig8r
02-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Didn't you get yours Tim?

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/qf/c/PopularScience/2-1965/med_xray_specs.jpg

Lite4
02-09-2008, 01:18 PM
That is fantastic, I need a pair of them.

S&MLL
02-09-2008, 02:59 PM
rent a ditch witch digging by hand is not worth your time

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-09-2008, 10:02 PM
rent a ditch witch digging by hand is not worth your time

Now I would have thought that a Company calling themselves S&M would be into the pain and suffering of hand digging trenches! :laugh:

If you like a good workout come on up here sometime... I have a whole fleet of manual digging apparatus. Not much for soils though, mostly just rocks and roots. You cannot even rent a vibratory plow or any other type of trenching machine in this area... they will not bring them into the stores.

Dig it?

Dennis Spencer
02-10-2008, 12:35 AM
If you do any digging call and get a permit.

Pro-Scapes
02-10-2008, 11:42 AM
If you do any digging call and get a permit.

Dennis where in north MS are you ?

Dennis Spencer
02-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Dennis where in north MS are you ?

I'm in Olive Branch MS. south of Memphis.

pete scalia
02-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Now I would have thought that a Company calling themselves S&M would be into the pain and suffering of hand digging trenches! :laugh:

If you like a good workout come on up here sometime... I have a whole fleet of manual digging apparatus. Not much for soils though, mostly just rocks and roots. You cannot even rent a vibratory plow or any other type of trenching machine in this area... they will not bring them into the stores.

Dig it?

Mexicans and Central Americans haven't made it up to Canada yet?

S&MLL
02-11-2008, 01:23 AM
Mexicans and Central Americans haven't made it up to Canada yet?

hahahahaha. Hey the goverment is going to try real hard that no illegals get refund checks in june. But s&m yes bust my balls but its just a name. With every completed system we give a gift card to the local sex shop

irrig8r
02-11-2008, 02:06 AM
So then S & M doesn't mean Salvadorean and Mexican?