PDA

View Full Version : Skid-steer Questions

LCPullman
02-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi, I'm considering buying a skid-steer at some point this year and I was looking for some advice. I'll be using it for landscaping, (fine grading, distributing river rock/bark, helping out with wall building, etc.) I also will want to use it for snow clearing.
Because of the snow clearing, I want a two-speed machine. It is also quite hilly here, so I want to get as stable of a machine as I can.
I have NH and JD dealers quite close (8 mi), Case and Cat dealers (30 mi) and Bobcat and Gehl dealers (80 mi).
Right now I am thinking of around $30000 for the machine and I'm glad to get machines that are some used, as I am not planning to put a lot of hours on (maybe 150-200 hours in a year).
I'll be trying out machines when I can, but I was just looking for comments on your experience with machines, how stable they are, reliability, etc.

cat2
02-08-2008, 09:31 PM
well for fine grading, i think you would want a radius lift machine. It doesn't sound like you will be doing any real heavy lifting. your john deere or new holland would be the most stable. john deere doesn't offer a 2 speed until the 325 and thet may be too big for what your doing. And they are not radius lift. The case would be though. But for those hours that you will be putting on i would get a used machine

LCPullman
02-08-2008, 09:45 PM
well for fine grading, i think you would want a radius lift machine.
Why? Just trying to learn more.

cat2
02-08-2008, 09:59 PM
You said snow removal, what are you going to be using? bucket, blade, snow blower? are you going to be stacking the snow?

cat2
02-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Why? Just trying to learn more.

the vertical lift is more for reach and is more stable when lifting heavy loads, because it doesn't move the load outward as you raise the lift arms

LCPullman
02-08-2008, 10:24 PM
You said snow removal, what are you going to be using? bucket, blade, snow blower? are you going to be stacking the snow?

I think mainly a snow pusher, though probably a bucket for some situations. Most winters I don't have to stack snow very high.

LCPullman
02-08-2008, 10:27 PM
the vertical lift is more for reach and is more stable when lifting heavy loads, because it doesn't move the load outward as you raise the lift arms

I see what vertical lift is for, but is there going to be a problem with vertical lift when it comes to fine grading, or is vertical lift simply not necessary and thus not worth extra cost?

BIGBEN2004
02-08-2008, 10:43 PM
For all day excavating and constantly fine grading a vertical lift just doesn't grade as well as a radial lift does. Not saying by any means a vertical lift won't fine grade because it will just fine. Just if you were buying a machine for heavy digging and grading go with the radial but for what you are doing either machine will do just fine.

ksss
02-08-2008, 11:00 PM
I see what vertical lift is for, but is there going to be a problem with vertical lift when it comes to fine grading, or is vertical lift simply not necessary and thus not worth extra cost?

Radial lift tends to provide better visibility than does a radial lift machine. There tend to be more linkage with these machines and you would likely not be utilizing the capabilities of a vertical lift machine. Either way not a deal breaker just something to think about. The way your moving snow is also a valid question. I have snow pusher 8' it works best with a heavier skid steer to move snow efficiently with it. It also takes traction, will need to chain at least the back tires if not all four. If you plan on blowing snow than I would find a machine with high flow although it does not sound like you will be using a blower.

http://usediron.point2.com/Xhtml/Equipment/Details/P2/Skidsteer/CASE//515520/ViewEquipmentDetail.html?src=Pre

http://usediron.point2.com/Xhtml/Equipment/Details/P2/Skidsteer/CASE/440/512067/Photos.html

Here are a couple machines in your price range and some what close to Wa.

The 450 is big machine, very capable excavating skid steer. It would great on a snow pusher. The 440 is a little more nimble both have the same hp just the 440 is lighter and dimensionally smaller, both radial lift, both have two speed, ride control and cab with heat and AC, the 440 has hyd coupler which is very nice. The 450 is every bit as stable as a Deere or NH due to its longer wheelbase.

KRtraxx
02-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I would agree with ksss.I think a long wheelbase radial machine would work best for what you want to do..And a 450 has some weight to it too that would make pushing snow a lot easier.Using a pusher or blade for snow removal is different than using a bucket..you need weight and traction to make it work right..If you need to stay smaller a 440 is a great option too...Just remember to get a cab and heat if your doing snow..**** cold without it..

KRtraxx
02-09-2008, 10:16 AM
If your going to keep your machine long term and are looking to buy something for less money.A low hour used Gehl 6640 could be a good buy.Sometimes used these bring less money...Also has a very long wheelbase that is as stable as the Deere and NHs but retains the radial lift.. Wouldnt suggest any other Gehl than this one for what you want to do though..The added wheelbase makes a huge difference...

bobcatexc
02-09-2008, 10:20 AM
well for fine grading, i think you would want a radius lift machine

Man all this years I've been using a vertical lift machine to do excavating and fine grading and NOW!!, you guys tell me it can't be done, all those wasted years!:dizzy:

If your strickly going to be fine grading and no truck loading or heavy lifting a radius lift will be more suited. I'd say 50% of the time that I'm fine grading or excavating, I'm loading out dirt, that is why I went with a vertical lift machine, it's less time consuming to not have to be pushing dirt across the truck bed when loading.

I noticed Bobcat is finally starting to put 2 speeds in their smaller machines, I'd say it won't be long before JD and NH do the same

BIGBEN2004
02-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Man all this years I've been using a vertical lift machine to do excavating and fine grading and NOW!!, you guys tell me it can't be done, all those wasted years!:dizzy:

If your strickly going to be fine grading and no truck loading or heavy lifting a radius lift will be more suited. I'd say 50% of the time that I'm fine grading or excavating, I'm loading out dirt, that is why I went with a vertical lift machine, it's less time consuming to not have to be pushing dirt across the truck bed when loading.

I noticed Bobcat is finally starting to put 2 speeds in their smaller machines, I'd say it won't be long before JD and NH do the same
No one said it can't be done everyone just said a radial lift grades better than a vertical lift just like the vertical lift loads trucks better.

bobcat_ron
02-09-2008, 10:46 AM
I still prefer VP for fine grading, but the RP are better for tight turnign where you need to lift the loader up to clear walls, but the RP are still better for all out dozing and heavy digging.

KRtraxx
02-09-2008, 11:26 AM

..Theres nothing WRONG with vertical lift at all..In fact if it was for my own personal use I MYself would still prefer it no matter what I was doing.Even fine grading...But if a guy is doing digging and leveling the radial does has some advantages for that use..If hes loading a truck or lifting pallets up high to stack?? There is where the vertical wins hands down..

KRtraxx
02-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi, I'm considering buying a skid-steer at some point this year and I was looking for some advice. I'll be using it for landscaping, (fine grading, distributing river rock/bark, helping out with wall building, etc.) I also will want to use it for snow clearing.
Because of the snow clearing, I want a two-speed machine. It is also quite hilly here, so I want to get as stable of a machine as I can.
I have NH and JD dealers quite close (8 mi), Case and Cat dealers (30 mi) and Bobcat and Gehl dealers (80 mi).
Right now I am thinking of around $30000 for the machine and I'm glad to get machines that are some used, as I am not planning to put a lot of hours on (maybe 150-200 hours in a year).
I'll be trying out machines when I can, but I was just looking for comments on your experience with machines, how stable they are, reliability, etc.

Important point... What type of controls do you like?? pilot,Case pattern,hand and foot??

KRtraxx
02-09-2008, 11:31 AM
and how much weight do you want to lift??

LCPullman
02-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Important point... What type of controls do you like?? pilot,Case pattern,hand and foot??

My tendency is toward pilot controls. I've used the Case style before, but like the pilot controls better. I've never actually used the hand and foot controls before. I'll try out the different controls when I get to demoing.

Fieldman12
02-09-2008, 12:03 PM
I do fine grading work most of the time and a Vertical lift works fine for me. Radials are noted to be better at this job but around here most people have dropped the radial lift machines and now only purchase the vertical lift machines. I think eventually as technology gets better and better you will see the radials disappear. Radials got a bad wrap from the old days when they would not reach over the side of a dump truck. My cousin tells me stories all the time how they had to build ramps just so they could dump. Now even the radials will dump over the sides but not as close to the center as a vertical. A vertical really is a all around machine for a person anymore. I would buy another vertical. Really the only place I see the most wear on a vertical and it's the same on a radial is where the bucket pivots. Keep those greased and tight and you should be fine.

LCPullman
02-09-2008, 12:06 PM
and how much weight do you want to lift??

I don't anticipate lifting anything all that heavy, just buckets of dirt, rock, etc. Very occasionally, I might lift a pallet of retaining wall blocks (2700lbs) if I had the capacity to do so.

KRtraxx
02-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Sent you a PM LC...

travislakerat
02-09-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't want to steal the post here, but I have similar questions. I have posted before that I am starting a small land clearing operation. My gig started when my father in law (whom I do some business with) traded a fork clift for a Cat skid steer. Well we didn't get the Cat immediatley because it was getting all new hoses/tires etc. So I went forward and bought 9" chipper and a Cat 420D with a Kent Hammer. I have been patiently waiting for the skid steer and found out yesterday that the deal might have turned south and I might not get that skid steer.

So here I am now. It looks like I need to go buy one. I have searched the forums and learned some. I need a skid steer big enough to take knock down cedar trees and will need a grapple type bucket to load trees and brush. I also will need to move dirt and do some fine grading as well. Can I get some ideas on HP needed and possible load rating? I like the Cat controls but are not stuck to them. Thanks

KRtraxx
02-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Most important question... What dealers are close to you that will service you RIGHT? THEN decide from there what brand and size...

LCPullman
02-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Sent you a PM LC...

Thanks - KRtraxx

zedosix
02-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Everything you have asked of a machine is available in the gehl. Radial lift arms with as much or more reach than any of the vertical lift, so some theories are not valid here. Power, no question pound for pound not much can match. Lifting 2700 lbs easily obtainalbe with the 5640e turbo and counter weight. Actually will lift well over 3000lbs off the back of a flat deck or whatever. 2 speed with ride control, one of the fastest 2 speeds available. Overall great product that deserves alot more respect then some people give. Price is very good too, not over priced like alot of the skid steer market is.

Gravel Rat
02-09-2008, 05:00 PM
If you never ran a skid with foot pedals your not missing much :laugh:

Longer the wheelbase smoother the ride and better the grading job.

zedosix
02-09-2008, 06:16 PM
If you never ran a skid with foot pedals your not missing much :laugh:

Longer the wheelbase smoother the ride and better the grading job.

Oh and it has pilot controls

Gravel Rat
02-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Why hasn't any of the manufactures made a skid steer with a decellerator pedal like a bulldozer ?

With the new skids being pilot control your feet are not doing anything. I can see a skid steer being allot less jumpy if you were able to controll the throttle.

cat2
02-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Everything you have asked of a machine is available in the gehl. Radial lift arms with as much or more reach than any of the vertical lift, so some theories are not valid here. Power, no question pound for pound not much can match. Lifting 2700 lbs easily obtainalbe with the 5640e turbo and counter weight. Actually will lift well over 3000lbs off the back of a flat deck or whatever. 2 speed with ride control, one of the fastest 2 speeds available. Overall great product that deserves alot more respect then some people give. Price is very good too, not over priced like alot of the skid steer market is.

thats a nice looking machine you have there

bobcat_ron
02-09-2008, 08:24 PM
My right foot stays plenty busy in my 247, hell even my left foot takes a turn when the right one is on a coffee break.

P.Services
02-09-2008, 08:38 PM
i like that counter weight, it makes for a heck of a bumper. i am thinking about having one fabed up for my new machine. it has weights behind the tracks but nothing behind the rear of the machine.

Fieldman12
02-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Picasso I think you said you was getting a Deere 332 and was switching it over to hand controls. How big of a deal is that to do?

P.Services
02-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Picasso I think you said you was getting a Deere 332 and was switching it over to hand controls. How big of a deal is that to do?

i talked to a bunch of dealers about it, they all want 900-1000 to do it or you can buy the parts yourself for around 500. they say its about a 7hr job to do. jd use to offer a package that came with everything you need but they no longer do so you have to order each part. i just got my machine yesterday, i have to do one job with it and save up some loot and then im going to do make the switch. i will have some pics of my new machine up soon!!!

cat2
02-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Make sure you get pics of your new machine up ASAP

P.Services
02-09-2008, 09:24 PM
my little brother is on a school trip in d.c right now so he has my camera. as soon as he comes back i will get pics. i love the machine, it looks brand new. one of the decals had a big scratch in it so he replaced both of them for me.the only thing i wish it had was the 2spd but oh well. this guy sells 95% bobcat, he had about 30 or so nice machines on his lot 2 weeks ago. this week my deere was the only machine on his lot. he takes them all to Florida to sell at auction. i guess they work all year to build up the inventory for this one sale.

BIGBEN2004
02-09-2008, 09:49 PM
That is funny. A field trip to D.C. I am spoiled, I live only about 1 1/2 Hrs away from D.C. and most of my work is around D.C. so I am down around the city often.

Fieldman12
02-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the info Picasso

ksss
02-10-2008, 12:28 PM
i talked to a bunch of dealers about it, they all want 900-1000 to do it or you can buy the parts yourself for around 500. they say its about a 7hr job to do. jd use to offer a package that came with everything you need but they no longer do so you have to order each part. i just got my machine yesterday, i have to do one job with it and save up some loot and then im going to do make the switch. i will have some pics of my new machine up soon!!!

Why not just get a JD equipped with hand controls. Also realize that having a new model prior to release of the pilots will make your trade values suffer. If they are releasing pilots in March why not just wait? Especially if your getting hand controls installed anyway? I am assuming your buying a new machine.

P.Services
02-10-2008, 12:32 PM
no i bought a used machine, the price justifies me switching it over to hand controls. i would love to buy a new machine with pilot controls but there's no way i can afford that. i know the trade in value will be lower with the new machines coming out but i dont have any plans of ever trading it in.

Dirt Digger2
02-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Why hasn't any of the manufactures made a skid steer with a decellerator pedal like a bulldozer ?

what?...have you ever run a pilot control skid loader?...it is nothing like a dozer, you can control your speed from 0-top end with just the hand control so you don't need a decel pedal. The whole reason you have a decel pedal in a Hystat dozer is because the dozer is like a farm tractor in a way, once its in forward it doesn't slow down unless you pull the throttle down, the other reason is when switching from forward to reverse you cant just jam it into reverse, you have to decel to prevent you from going out the front window...in a skid you have to bring the lever back to the neutral position, stopping the machine, then pull down into reverse

bobcat_ron
02-10-2008, 01:46 PM
That and a decel pedal makes people feel like they are stepping on the brakes when they panic.

Gravel Rat
02-10-2008, 07:54 PM
No I haven't ran a pilot control skid just the older style skid with yankem sticks and foot pedals. I have ran dozer a little bit, run track loaders so I'am used to using a decellerator.

LCPullman
02-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Are the pilot controls on the skid-steer market basically all electric over hydraulic or are there any mechanical ones.

bobcat_ron
02-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Are the pilot controls on the skid-steer market basically all electric over hydraulic or are there any mechanical ones.

2 types-Hydraulic over Hydraulic, those are the true Pilot controls, and Electric over Hydraulic, the mechanical ones are the older "yankem" or "rowing oars" like the older back hoes had.

Dirt Digger2
02-10-2008, 10:20 PM
run track loaders so I'am used to using a decellerator.

what track loaders you running with a decel?

Gravel Rat
02-10-2008, 11:09 PM
They are old trackloaders the one is a 125 International and the one I had most time on is 963 Cat.

Then the old Dozers are the ones that belong to the loggers they are usually old D8s in the 1969 age range.

bobcat_ron
02-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Ooooh, some pics please!!

Gravel Rat
02-10-2008, 11:37 PM
I don't have any pics :laugh:

The old Cat 963 went somewhere the company I worked for sold it. The International belongs to a resident in the area I worked for aswell don't see the guy around much. The old D8s the loggers had went to Ritchies.

LCPullman
02-10-2008, 11:42 PM
2 types-Hydraulic over Hydraulic, those are the true Pilot controls, and Electric over Hydraulic, the mechanical ones are the older "yankem" or "rowing oars" like the older back hoes had.

So which manufacturers have switched over to the Electric over Hydraulic controls for their skid-steers. It sounds like Cat has them, at least on their new ones.

ksss
02-11-2008, 12:11 AM
So which manufacturers have switched over to the Electric over Hydraulic controls for their skid-steers. It sounds like Cat has them, at least on their new ones.

Bobcat has had them for a few years now.

CASE, NH, Gehl, Volvo, Komatsu. and sounds like Deere in March have pilots.

Scag48
02-11-2008, 03:22 AM
Bobcat's E/H system doesn't count, it's garbage if you ask me. It might work for some, but I absolutely cannot stand it.

BIGBEN2004
02-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Bobcat's E/H system doesn't count, it's garbage if you ask me. It might work for some, but I absolutely cannot stand it.
Very slow and has a bad delay in it. Was that how they ran for you? The last couple I ran were all just like that.

Construct'O
02-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Bobcat has had them for a few years now.

CASE, NH, Gehl, Volvo, Komatsu. and sounds like Deere in March have pilots.

Slipped up:nono: you forgot one.

How about the pilots on the TK machines.No i'm not going to try and spell it,i'm taking the easy way out this morning.

Hooked on phonics,maybe next year:)

bobcat_ron
02-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Takeuchi's use the Hydraulic over Hydraulic on the CTL's but the Mini hoe's might have both worlds.

bobcatexc
02-11-2008, 05:28 PM
DIRTDIGGER:

GRAVEL RAT: They are old trackloaders the one is a 125 International and the one I had most time on is 963 Cat.

I've ran Cat 963 trackloaders quit a bit, and would like to know where this decelarator pedal is because they don't exist!

Gravel Rat
02-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Oh yes they do exist when the 963 is a 1970s model and the old 125 International is in the same vintage.

Dirt Digger2
02-11-2008, 06:55 PM
they didn't make 63's in the 1970's...we have a 955L either its a 1972 or a 1973 and that doesn't have a decel pedal, it has a powershift tranny and when you get near a house you have to manually push the throttle lever down

you can't use a decel pedal when you have pedal steer anyway

BIGBEN2004
02-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Takeuchi was the first to introduce the joystick controls. They introduced the way we know now as the left joystick drives the machine and the right joystick does all the boom and bucket functions.

ksss
02-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Takeuchi was the first to introduce the joystick controls. They introduced the way we know now as the left joystick drives the machine and the right joystick does all the boom and bucket functions.

That is correct.

bobcat_ron
02-11-2008, 08:22 PM
But then the Case people complained "it's too hard to remember...."

Dirt Digger2
02-11-2008, 08:27 PM
But then the Case people complained "it's too hard to remember...."

lol, and you CAT people can't operate a 4 stick backhoe to save your life...but i don't like to get involved...as CAT, DEERE, and BOBCAT people argue us CASE people sit back and laugh to see which animal will come out as king of the jungle:rolleyes:

bobcatexc
02-11-2008, 09:12 PM
963's came out in the early 80's, like dirtdigger said I've ran 977's and they didn't have them either, so now what?

Scag48
02-12-2008, 01:21 AM
I'm not going to lie, a 4 lever Case gives me fits. Even 3 lever with a footswing is difficult for me. I suppose I could get okay with one if I had enough time on one, but not many guys run them around here.

Dirt Digger2
02-12-2008, 07:25 AM
thats what a 4 stick is...4 sticks with foot swing...boom up/down, dipper, bucket, and extenda-hoe..plus foot swing...i can hog some serious did with that bad boy

Scag48
02-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Well technicallities, I don't count the extendahoe lever as a stick. Hahaha. But, you're right. I swear I've been on an older machine that didn't have a footswing and was equipped with 4 levers, maybe I"m dreaming.

tallrick
02-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Wow, a discussion that starts with skid steers, then to track loaders and now excavators? Since my construction time was mostly behind a wrench, I have never run any excavator, even a mini! Just skid steers, dozers and track loaders. All have foot pedals for something, and levers. The whole joystick concept is just odd to me. Yes I had run an RC-30 for a period of time, but those joystick controls don't seem natural, in a skid steer I am used to the levers. Probably it is because I am so tall but a 955 track loader seemed more natural to me than anything else. It was the one machine nobody liked, and since I left it ended up in another construction yard, where it sits to this day. Another project machine for my future I guess!

ksss
02-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Wow, a discussion that starts with skid steers, then to track loaders and now excavators? Since my construction time was mostly behind a wrench, I have never run any excavator, even a mini! Just skid steers, dozers and track loaders. All have foot pedals for something, and levers. The whole joystick concept is just odd to me. Yes I had run an RC-30 for a period of time, but those joystick controls don't seem natural, in a skid steer I am used to the levers. Probably it is because I am so tall but a 955 track loader seemed more natural to me than anything else. It was the one machine nobody liked, and since I left it ended up in another construction yard, where it sits to this day. Another project machine for my future I guess!

How goes the BC reconstruction project. You should post some pictures of it before you make it all pretty. I would still like to know what you have to give for it?

Gravel Rat
02-12-2008, 04:45 PM
The old Case foot swing and levers does take some time to get used to. Back in the early years that was the most common. I probably mentioned this before but any operator with the crotch ripped out their jeans are Case backhoe operators. You sit in the operator seat with your legs spread working the swing pedals all day long something has to give :laugh:

Even two stick backhoes take awhile to get used to especially when you were jumping back and forth from excavator to backhoe.

Alot of the older operators like the Case stick because you can feather the hydraulics. You have one stick for each movement.

It is no different than guys that run Hiab truck (Knuckle boom) all day. The older hiabs didn't have electronic remote controls you stood by the crane and operated the sticks. I have so many years running forklift you have to be smooth on the hydraulics especailly so when your lifting something that is over capacity of the forklift. Also running hydraulic truck crane you have to be smooth on the hydraulics.

tallrick
02-12-2008, 05:11 PM
How goes the BC reconstruction project. You should post some pictures of it before you make it all pretty. I would still like to know what you have to give for it?

The Bobcat is just sitting on the slab till I get my garage ready and I find the engine parts I need. It was a pretty good deal, costing less than 1500.00 and is relatively complete. I will be taking pics as soon as I drag it out in the yard to get a good enough view of it.

Dirt Digger2
02-12-2008, 06:07 PM
The old Case foot swing and levers does take some time to get used to. Back in the early years that was the most common. I probably mentioned this before but any operator with the crotch ripped out their jeans are Case backhoe operators. You sit in the operator seat with your legs spread working the swing pedals all day long something has to give :laugh:

yup...wore out two pairs of jeans this summer with that exact problem. worst time was then the inseem of my pants ripped right down to my knee:cry:when i made the step from the cab to the ground , that was at 10am...needless to say i didn't get out of the machine the rest of the day for fear of the ditch rats biting into me

Ausman
02-13-2008, 04:50 PM
If i was buying for those applications i would not go past a new soon the be released PT60 ASV. It has 2 speed, heaps of traction and it will dig in high range so it will plow well. Stability with its new 66 inch width is fantastic and it will drive up hills with nothing in the bucket or very little load enabling you to place smaller things on terracing etc. It will also be a lot more gentle on the turf than a long wheel base wheel machine.

LCPullman
02-13-2008, 09:03 PM
If i was buying for those applications i would not go past a new soon the be released PT60 ASV. It has 2 speed, heaps of traction and it will dig in high range so it will plow well. Stability with its new 66 inch width is fantastic and it will drive up hills with nothing in the bucket or very little load enabling you to place smaller things on terracing etc. It will also be a lot more gentle on the turf than a long wheel base wheel machine.

My concern with the ASV PT-60 is the durability of its tracks in on-road travel, operation on pavement.
I think a track loader is a nice idea, and this ASV will have high speed, but I don't want something that will cost a lot more to keep up than a normal wheeled skid-steer, and I'm afraid that is what I'll get with a track loader.

Ausman
02-13-2008, 09:58 PM
We haave replaced all our wheel machines with track due to the higher costs of tyres on road surfaces. We are getting 2 - 3000hrs from the ASV tracks on road broom applications. Lower ground pressure = lower dragging when turning drag

P.Services
02-13-2008, 10:01 PM
We haave replaced all our wheel machines with track due to the higher costs of tyres on road surfaces. We are getting 2 - 3000hrs from the ASV tracks on road broom applications. Lower ground pressure = lower dragging when turning drag

well thats the first i have heard of a idea like that :hammerhead::dizzy::dizzy:

Dirt Digger2
02-13-2008, 10:23 PM
2000-3000 hours on tracks?....ha, we get 800 on our takeuchi...maybe the ground is softer down under

LCPullman
02-13-2008, 11:17 PM
How many hours do you think a set of tires would get on road applications?

P.Services
02-13-2008, 11:20 PM
How many hours do you think a set of tires would get on road applications?

a heck of alot more then tracks, i know tracks run about twice of what tires do so i cant see how the numbers work out for you.

Gravel Rat
02-13-2008, 11:56 PM
It all depends if the pavement is hot or cold or wet or dry. Hot pavement will peal tires off quick. Say the sun is beating down and you can see the heat radiating off the blacktop.

The quality if tire you have counts.

Ausman
02-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Yes we easily get 2000 minimum even with the rough operators, The Tech wont get that as its weight displacement is 75 rear 25 front, when you load up a bucket you now have 50/50, then you turn and guess what- rubber rips off. TheASV has 50/50 with the bucket empty, this means when you load the bucket you have 25/75 and the machine walks on the larger front wheels, ever wonderd why they do that? This is the secret to getting big wear, it is also why CAT cant get the same hrs as ASV on the same tracks. Benifit of machine designed by a track maker not just bolting a set of commercially avail tracks frames under a skid steer loader.

bobcat_ron
02-14-2008, 11:21 AM
And it's all in how you set up your turns, do a quickie 180 spin around and kiss the tires/tracks away faster, do multi point turns and get more life out of the tires/tracks and leave even less rubber behind.

Danielslawnservice
03-25-2008, 01:06 PM
I used a Gehl MODEL 5640E Turbo 2 speed this winter for snow removal it has plenty of power to use a bucket on it. and it's a really nice machine I love it. the controls are very easy to use (T-Bar).