PDA

View Full Version : Stop and smell the roses (grass)!

Randy Scott
11-02-2001, 09:54 PM
I think as the season is coming to an end for alot of us and Winter is around the corner, we don't talk or think much about the smell of the grass that we talk about in Spring. I think I pretty much did my last cuts today and I think in about a month I'll be missing that smell. Although not as fresh, and refreshing, as it is in Spring, it still is a good feeling when the blades do their thing. I look forward to plowing this Winter but I know we will probably all miss the smell of fresh cut grass in the morning. The change of seasons is always a neat time of year for me and enjoy a little something different. That first gasp of cool air you take first thing in the morning is something else this time of year. Of course it's been about 60 the last few days and I think this will be it for the warm weather around here.

Got Grass?
11-02-2001, 11:06 PM
Gotta love the small in the spring.... Except for that grass you left sitting in the back of the truck for the weekend, man does that smell bad.... Kinda nice tho as I cant wait to start plowing, and overall it was a good 1st year for me, and all my customers are happy.... Only dropped one old lady, who wanted me to cut once a month at 1.5 inches with the push mower and bag, and take a loss for doing it. At first she was normal...

Guido
11-03-2001, 06:18 AM
You guys are going to love me for this one. You New Englander's should have easy access to this, and most othere should be able to go online to buy. Yankee candle sells a scent called green grass I believe. Its awesome, I have one that I bought last time I was home and visited the factory outlet. It smells like the real thing, you have to check it out.

I too miss the smell during the winter, but I do enjoy the smell of wood burning in the fireplace.

MOW ED
11-03-2001, 06:39 AM
Randy,
I know what you mean. Its been in the upper 50's here and I still have a few lawns that have to be cut and it is strange to be picking up that great smell of fresh cut grass when I'm so used to pullin leaf boogers out of my nose.
That is what I like about having 4 seasons. I wish we would get more snow than we do but that is only my opinion. I don't plow but I pick up a driveway here or there when I am around.
All said its been a pretty good year.

SprinklerGuy
11-03-2001, 08:07 AM
I know what you mean....I just made my first cut on my rye lawn. On my own house. All the Grass guys here are making their first cuts too. We get to keep the smell all year.
I enjoy reading about guys who truly love their work. Do you think that poor sap at the bank says "man I just love the smell of this bank lobby in the fall, smells so good" I doubt it.
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it might be about counting your blessings....and it kinda is. Now is a good time for us all to sit back and realize how LUCKY we are to be business owners in this field. this is a great way to live even with all the bad points, mostly they are good. God Bless The USA for being the type of country that allows us to do what we want for a living, and actually make a living doing it.
Amen