PDA

View Full Version : Dump Trailer Hauling

Botabill
02-09-2008, 07:58 AM
I was wondering if anyone has had experience hauling machines in dump trailers. I have a small (2 ton) excavator and I was wondering if I can haul it in in a 6 X 10 foot dump trailer. The dump trailer has ramps and the trailer sales guy says I can but I don't always trust sale guys. I don't plan to do this on a daily basis.

LB1234
02-09-2008, 09:27 AM
We do it a lot. We have a bri-mar 14' with the 4" drop axles. We have a 12k# GVWR and a capacity of right around 8k#. We've transported skid steers, mini-x's, and smaller TLB's on it.

The keys are making sure you have ample capacity. I would also make sure to choke the trailer really well and place supports on the ramp end of the trailer so when all the machines weight is on the tail of the trailer your truck isn't going to be a few feet off the ground.

Do a search on this...lots and lots of info and many contractors do it.

wellbuilt
02-10-2008, 11:03 PM
I have a 7500 ex i back into my dump trailer i tip the machine in with the bucket and chain it down with 5 chains.my boom rides with the bucket resting on the front of the trailer .The boom sits level with the roof . I wouldn't want to move the ex every day. it takes a wile to get it chained down. The Dot guys pull me over all the time with the dumps i got a warning for not having enough first aid stuff in my kit .I Have been told that some Dot guys want the boom in the dump box .Ive seen lots of guys driving with the bucket chained over the front deck of a equipment trailer i see no difference. I would get a 14' dump but i would be way over the 9999lbs. Im Looking for a 18' equipment trailer now but im running out of parking fast. John