PDA

View Full Version : Introducing QScape, by Qtran

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-09-2008, 09:57 AM
I want to introduce you all to a completely new, remarkable and revolutionary new Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting Power Management System.

This series of complimentary components is called Qscape and has been designed, engineered, and built from the ground up by John Tremaine and his team at Qtran.

Every single component of the system has been thought through and refined, working with one of the world's leading outdoor lighting designers, over the past 4 years, cumulating in this completely new and remarkable system.

http://www.q-tran.com/pdf/QSCAPE%20CATALOG.pdf

Everything is new. Every component has been re-engineered to work seemlessly together, from the transformers (Qset & Qhex), to the enclosures both wall mount and direct buial vaults (Qwall & Qvault), to the hub and stake assemblies (Qtrix). Even the cable and waterproof connectors have been re-designed in a most remarkable fashion. (Qclik & Qwire) Quality components and materials are everywhere. Every surface and feature has been thought through and engineered to perform.

Please take a long look at the attached catalog. It is a pretty complex system that takes a bit of time to fully understand. I will be posting more on this in the near future, perhaps a separate thread to discuss each component.

Enjoy.

Mike M
02-09-2008, 10:31 AM
If I were to configure my own system, I would use products made currently by manu's, configured or modified for my needs, and using as many standard materials as possible. As technology changes, I could change along with it.

This reminds me of a submarine I toured in NYC. The Navy built a new, high-tech deisel sub, but by the time it launched, it was outdated by nuclear, and production was scrapped. A deisel-powered sub has to make frequent surface contacts to run the generators (requiring air). The nuclear subs can stay on the bottom and change the batteries with nuclear reactors. Why am I talking about subs? I have no idea but I'm hungry now for a Jersey Mike's sub. Anyway, like Greg says, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Or boat.

I am configuing, in my garage of all places, a very smart system that anyone can use with most of their current solid state materials, with some modifcations, and that can keep up with new technology as needed.

My emphasis is in re-configuration. Not in system of costly propriety parts that are not compatible or friendly across multiple manu's. Think of open-source codes in computer programming, and the venders that help out with products. Not try to dominate it. Kichler came out with plug-in hubs, and only provides long leads if you want them with the plugs. Falure.

I could ramble but nobody is listening anyways. Probably a good thing.

Pro-Scapes
02-09-2008, 04:10 PM
I dont get why propriety connectors and such are better ? reinventing the wheel ? sure the vaults would be ultra clean on an installation and its great if you plan to use only Qtran parts but WHY james is it a better source of power besides being a direct burial option and a modular unit?

I heard from a cost standpoint its 2 to 3 times the cost of a convential system too.

ChampionLS
02-09-2008, 05:09 PM
That company is not far from me. I think they are way over engineered for anyone doing low voltage lighting. Seems more of a Monopoly!

Also... this Q connector thinggy:
The QMOD
splits a 25AMP feed into TWO 12.5AMP outputs.
This will allow the use of 14AWG thin wire to run
up a tree.
The genesis for this product came from a leading
designer who wanted to run # 8 AWG feeds from
a Q-SET to a tree but did not want such a large
noticeable wire in view. Q-MOD allows the 300W
- 25A feed to be split into two 150W - 12.5A
outputs so that # 14 AWG wire could run up the
tree. A unique solution to a common problem.

IS NOTHING MORE than the Double sided Power Tap Connector that we use!!!! Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I been saying that all along.

Also, those funky cord grips are available by Heyco! We have the 3/8x 18/2 wire ones here.

Since this whole system is a re-designed conventional 1838 type, they should start a new standard for LED's. That would justify all that Man-On-The-Moon technology thats overkill.

Sigh...

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I dont get why propriety connectors and such are better ? reinventing the wheel ? sure the vaults would be ultra clean on an installation and its great if you plan to use only Qtran parts but WHY james is it a better source of power besides being a direct burial option and a modular unit?

I heard from a cost standpoint its 2 to 3 times the cost of a convential system too.

The new Qclik connectors have been designed to be completely water proof when using the new and remarkable Qwire. In fact they are IP68 rated... that means certified waterproof while submersed to 16 meters! You will not find another system of cable and box connectors in the LV outdoor lighting market that provides this type of water ingress protection.

As for the Qtrix enclosures, they are made from Lexan not PVC and have a unique gasket material and design that makes them waterproof too.

Does this system cost more then others on the market? Undoubtedly. It is certainly not for those who are consistantly 'racing for the bottom' of the market in terms of component costs and quality. This is a unique, well engineered, primiere power management system that will satisfy the requirements of high end lighting designers, their clients and the properties that we work on.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-09-2008, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=ChampionLS;2143747]That company is not far from me. I think they are way over engineered for anyone doing low voltage lighting. Seems more of a Monopoly! Clearly your understanding of a Monopoly is quite different then mine. Last time I checked there were dozens of manufacturers producing LV Transformers and systems.

Also... this Q connector thinggy:
The QMOD
splits a 25AMP feed into TWO 12.5AMP outputs.
This will allow the use of 14AWG thin wire to run
up a tree.
The genesis for this product came from a leading
designer who wanted to run # 8 AWG feeds from
a Q-SET to a tree but did not want such a large
noticeable wire in view. Q-MOD allows the 300W
- 25A feed to be split into two 150W - 12.5A
outputs so that # 14 AWG wire could run up the
tree. A unique solution to a common problem.
Absolutely brilliant isn't it? Just wait till you see the build quality of the Qmod unit, not to mention the ingenious and impervious means by which to install it and connect it to the cable system.

Also, those funky cord grips are available by Heyco! We have the 3/8x 18/2 wire ones here. They may look similar to ones you have used but the Qclik 'cord grips' are quite different. Take a very close look at them and you will see all sorts of additional levels of protection that makes them waterproof (finally!) These have been specifically designed to work with the new Qwire product... a revolutionary, new cable that has been developed by Qtran for LV lighting installations.

Since this whole system is a re-designed conventional 1838 type, they should start a new standard for LED's. That would justify all that Man-On-The-Moon technology thats overkill.QUOTE]

What might seem like overkill to some is seen by others as being the best available. I have clients that demand the best, now I have a new solution to offer to them that fills a niche.

pete scalia
02-09-2008, 10:22 PM
This manufacturer's products will appeal to a very small segment of the lighting market.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-09-2008, 10:28 PM
This manufacturer's products will appeal to a small segment of the lighting market. (I edited the 'very' part)

Yes Sir, I think you are right.

I like being aligned with and providing the service to that particular segment. The jobs are creative, challenging and always unique. The clients in this segment are generally some of the best you could possibly have.

pete scalia
02-09-2008, 10:58 PM
This manufacturer's products will appeal to a very small segment of the lighting market.

Maybe 2% of the market at best

ChampionLS
02-10-2008, 01:23 AM
They may look similar to ones you have used but the Qclik 'cord grips' are quite different. Take a very close look at them and you will see all sorts of additional levels of protection that makes them waterproof (finally!) These have been specifically designed to work with the new Qwire product... a revolutionary, new cable that has been developed by Qtran for LV lighting installations.

WHY re-invent the wheel??... Why? If you want waterproof cable, buy outdoor rated SJT cord! It's round, and will work with industry standard Heyco or similar connectors. WHY take a flat parallel cable (Originally designed for Pierce Point Connectors!) and try to waterproof it??? Flat cable is not suited for a cable grip/grommet. The solution to that is a small dab of silicone at your entry point, or simply buy a connector with a oval hole. Duhh.

Do you really think all the wire manufacturers are going to tool up to produce a oval landscape lighting cable to suit the needs of one manufacturers style of lighting?? It DOES NOT need to be that waterproof. You do not need cord grips at each junction box, at each light fixture. It's more work, and that means more cost to somebody- Obviously the end user. Sure.. IP68 is great. It's not underwater lighting. (or is it??) IP67 works just fine

I personally have a better idea.

A lot of the LED manufacturers, pool, spa and fountain products use a IP68 polarized plug on their wire. It's a male/female receptacle. All anyone would need is a simple crimp tool or a better version would be a plug in heated model that will mold a plug onto your cut wire. Then you could make a custom system right on site. If any component failed, you just chop off and replace the connector. Similar to Cable TV coax.

Heres a picture to ponder on. :cool2:

eskerlite
02-10-2008, 10:03 AM
If the economy is any indication of the future year here in the good ole USA, You would have to be able to talk a starving dog of a meat wagon to sell this transformer. What are You going to do when the customer says way too much money. You will tell them about the same transformer You would have used before you saw the QTRAN and will probably get the job. Its worth the try I suppose. Me im going to tell the customer that the Gambino transformer is the latest greatest High priced trans on the market. If the customer knows anything about the two transformers, then they can probably install the system themselves. Anyone who sells alot of Qtran this year please let us know how You did it.
Sean C.

Pro-Scapes
02-10-2008, 10:03 AM
why is qwire better than quality copper or tin coated? So you have to use their wire in the system ?

YOu can in fact provide a high quality high end system without this set up. I guess I need to see it hands on to appreciate it. Not knocking it but just trying to learn more and get some facts.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-10-2008, 06:41 PM
SJT or SJOW cable is not rated for application on or inside of structures. It's jacket is only rated to 60c, like our standard LV Lighting cable.

The new Qwire product is rated to 90C, (actually uses a 105c jacket) and is suitable for use in both direct burial and mounted on and inside of structures.

The 12/3 and 10/3 product (Third conductor being a ground) is for use in underwater and near water applications that require the fixture to be grounded.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-10-2008, 06:52 PM
If the economy is any indication of the future year here in the good ole USA, You would have to be able to talk a starving dog of a meat wagon to sell this transformer. What are You going to do when the customer says way too much money. You will tell them about the same transformer You would have used before you saw the QTRAN and will probably get the job. Its worth the try I suppose. Me im going to tell the customer that the Gambino transformer is the latest greatest High priced trans on the market. If the customer knows anything about the two transformers, then they can probably install the system themselves. Anyone who sells alot of Qtran this year please let us know how You did it.
Sean C.

I disagree with your assessment of the marketability of this system Sean.

When the market for consumer products shifts and shrinks, as it is now in the USA, the market of mid level outdoor lighting systems is going to shrink along with it. The top 2% of the market will continue to show demand for goods and services as they are less affected by economic downturns and are more "R-proof" then the mass market.

This new Qscape line is aimed squarely at the top tier of clients; the ones who ask for and purchase 'nothing but the best'. We now have a completely new top of the line system to offer them. If it doesn't interest them, then one can easily downgrade and still land the job. It all comes down to a simple philosophy: If you want to make more money in a mature market, then sell better quality stuff.

If we are going to see an economic downturn; selling fewer jobs to fewer clients, then I would much rather be in the position of selling a few Ferrari's then a few Chevrolets.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-10-2008, 07:01 PM
why is qwire better than quality copper or tin coated? It is feature rich Billy. Two colour jacket for better hiding, rated for use both below grade and on and in structures, and its shape and outer jacket (no texture, dimples, seams,) allow you to make waterproof connections at hubs, stakes and J-boxes.

So you have to use their wire in the system ? No, you don't have to use this wire, it is simply a new option if you so choose. As are many of the components in the Qscape system.

YOu can in fact provide a high quality high end system without this set up. Of course you can, this is just something very new and very well thought out and engineered. The features and build quality are above and beyond anything I have ever seen in this category.

I guess I need to see it hands on to appreciate it. Not knocking it but just trying to learn more and get some facts.

Keep this system in mind for those top 2% of your market... the ones who ask for and expect nothing but the best.

pete scalia
02-10-2008, 07:01 PM
I disagree with your assessment of the marketability of this system Sean.

When the market for consumer products shifts and shrinks, as it is now in the USA, the market of mid level outdoor lighting systems is going to shrink along with it. The top 2% of the market will continue to show demand for goods and services as they are less affected by economic downturns and are more "R-proof" then the mass market.

This new Qscape line is aimed squarely at the top tier of clients; the ones who ask for and purchase 'nothing but the best'. We now have a completely new top of the line system to offer them. If it doesn't interst them, then one can easily downgrade and still land the job. It all comes down to a simple philosophy: If you want to make more money in a mature market, then sell better quality stuff.

If we are going to see an economic downturn; selling fewer jobs to fewer clients, then I would much rather be in the position of selling a few Ferrari's then a few Chevrolets.

What do you care anyway. Your on the Nightscaping green fuse train.

eskerlite
02-10-2008, 08:50 PM
I dont see the advantage of the Q-tran transformer over many others on the market just because the price is tripled. You have to feel the advantages to sell the advantages. If installed correctly with a warranty from your company any transformer should not be in contact with the homeowner. How do you sell advantages when they only pertain to the Installer. Torrodial cores are not new and not worth 3 times the price in this case. If its all about the pricing why dont You push the price up 3 times on a NS transformer? The customer doesnt know the price. They expect you to be fair and honest. You can get more than a dollar a watt for any transformer with the value explained to the customer. By value I mean the as built plan, the installation and wiring of the transformer. This can take upwards of 3 hours per transformer. Its all about the sales pitch. Evolving it and being able to conform with the market changes is much more valuble than a transformer that is 2-3 times the price as the dependable ones I am using. Why use more of the budget and then some for the transformers when you could use one as dependable with more money for fixtures for Your lighting portrait. If Your theory is correct how can your customer see you drive a Chevrolet pick-up instead of a Cadillac Escalade pick-up. It sounds like they would expect it from you.
Things are sure different in Your market compared to mine.
Sean C.:usflag::canadaflag:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Sean

The Hunz DL-Cop does the exact same lighting job as a NS Guardian. The output is identical and the fixture size is nearly identical. My clients prefer the Hunza. I prefer selling them the Hunza. The cost is about 3X more. They are happy to pay for the quality and the brand.

Now we have a similar level of transformers available to us. For those jobs that demand it.

Regards.

pete scalia
02-10-2008, 09:09 PM
I dont see the advantage of the Q-tran transformer over many others on the market just because the price is tripled. You have to feel the advantages to sell the advantages. If installed correctly with a warranty from your company any transformer should not be in contact with the homeowner. How do you sell advantages when they only pertain to the Installer. Torrodial cores are not new and not worth 3 times the price in this case. If its all about the pricing why dont You push the price up 3 times on a NS transformer? The customer doesnt know the price. They expect you to be fair and honest. You can get more than a dollar a watt for any transformer with the value explained to the customer. By value I mean the as built plan, the installation and wiring of the transformer. This can take upwards of 3 hours per transformer. Its all about the sales pitch. Evolving it and being able to conform with the market changes is much more valuble than a transformer that is 2-3 times the price as the dependable ones I am using. Why use more of the budget and then some for the transformers when you could use one as dependable with more money for fixtures for Your lighting portrait. If Your theory is correct how can your customer see you drive a Chevrolet pick-up instead of a Cadillac Escalade pick-up. It sounds like they would expect it from you. You make some good points here
Things are sure different in Your market compared to mine. Oh I doubt that, you just need to cut through the smoke mirrors and BS to see the truth
Sean C.:usflag::canadaflag:

see above in red

ChampionLS
02-10-2008, 09:53 PM
SJT or SJOW cable is not rated for application on or inside of structures. It's jacket is only rated to 60c, like our standard LV Lighting cable.

The new Qwire product is rated to 90C, (actually uses a 105c jacket) and is suitable for use in both direct burial and mounted on and inside of structures.

The 12/3 and 10/3 product (Third conductor being a ground) is for use in underwater and near water applications that require the fixture to be grounded.

What the hell are you talking about????

You honestly have no sense what so ever of what UL, CSA, KEMA, ANSI, IRAM, NOM and others built this industry to be.

Throw away them OLD crappy books you have and get with the picture!!
With the release of UL1838 Third Edition, dated 1-13-03, new requirements have been established for Landscape Lighting wiring. The new edition represents an easing of the requirements for this category. The third edition of this standard indicates the following:

53.3.1 Main secondary wiring shall consist of SPT-3, SPT-2 W, XTW, CXTW, SJOW, underground low energy circuit cable, or wire that is intended for wet locations, is sunlight resistant, and is intended for direct burial as defined in the Standard for Thermoplastic-Insulated Underground Feeder and Branch-Circuit Cables, UL493, and sized in accordance with Table 53.1
53.4 Luminary and fitting secondary wiring
53.4.1 Any wire listed in 53.3.1, a minimum of SPT-1 type wiring marked for outdoor use (W), or appliance wiring material (AWM) equivalent to these shall be used to connect the luminary or fitting to the main secondary cable.
53.4.2 When wiring listed in 53.3.1 is not used, then the installation instructions shall state that the unit secondary wiring is to be protected. See 57.5 for details.

IN SUMMARY, OUR CHOICE AND USE OF THESE APPLIANCE WIRING MATERIALS IS CORRECT AND ACCEPTABLE TO APPROVING AGENCIES WORLD WIDE, INCLUDING: UL, CSA, KEMA, ANSI, IRAM, NOM AND OTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get your facts straight!! :nono:

pete scalia
02-10-2008, 10:10 PM
What the hell are you talking about????

You honestly have no sense what so ever of what UL, CSA, KEMA, ANSI, IRAM, NOM and others built this industry to be.

Throw away them OLD crappy books you have and get with the picture!!
With the release of UL1838 Third Edition, dated 1-13-03, new requirements have been established for Landscape Lighting wiring. The new edition represents an easing of the requirements for this category. The third edition of this standard indicates the following:

53.3.1 Main secondary wiring shall consist of SPT-3, SPT-2 W, XTW, CXTW, SJOW, underground low energy circuit cable, or wire that is intended for wet locations, is sunlight resistant, and is intended for direct burial as defined in the Standard for Thermoplastic-Insulated Underground Feeder and Branch-Circuit Cables, UL493, and sized in accordance with Table 53.1
53.4 Luminary and fitting secondary wiring
53.4.1 Any wire listed in 53.3.1, a minimum of SPT-1 type wiring marked for outdoor use (W), or appliance wiring material (AWM) equivalent to these shall be used to connect the luminary or fitting to the main secondary cable.
53.4.2 When wiring listed in 53.3.1 is not used, then the installation instructions shall state that the unit secondary wiring is to be protected. See 57.5 for details.

IN SUMMARY, OUR CHOICE AND USE OF THESE APPLIANCE WIRING MATERIALS IS CORRECT AND ACCEPTABLE TO APPROVING AGENCIES WORLD WIDE, INCLUDING: UL, CSA, KEMA, ANSI, IRAM, NOM AND OTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get your facts straight!! :nono:

Anthony don't get upset it's not worth it. You know and I know what the deal is. Just disregard the BS artists who try and bluff their way through this bd and cringe when you want to know how much business they are actually doing and will not answer cause the truth will embarass the hell out of them.

ChampionLS
02-10-2008, 10:16 PM
I know...right.

extlights
02-11-2008, 12:59 AM
[QUOTE=James Solecki - INTEGRA;2145695]I disagree with your assessment of the marketability of this system Sean.
When the market for consumer products shifts and shrinks, as it is now in the USA, the market of mid level outdoor lighting systems is going to shrink along with it. The top 2% of the market will continue to show demand for goods and services as they are less affected by economic downturns and are more "R-proof" then the mass market.[QUOTE]

So all these years in business and I've only been installing mid level lighting systems? Hadco, Kichler, Cast etc.....mid level? I also disagree with the assessment that if you want to make more money, install better quality stuff. This is completely 110% inaccurate. Get a top tier seasoned salesman and I bet he could sell Hyundai for more profit than your normal everyday salesman selling a Ferarri. Just because something costs more doesn't mean you'll make more.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Dave. It really is a proven fact. Assuming you profit from marking up your materials and your system designs are exactly the same in terms of fixtures, locations, etc.

I you markup your materials by 10% and you are paying $50 for a fixture, then you stand to make $5.
If you markup your materials by 10% and you are paying $200 for a fixture, then you stand to make $20.

Yes Hadco, Kichler, Vista, etc are mid level... maybe upper mid level. Compare them to spec. grade product lines like Hunza, Auroralight, Lumascape, Martini, Deltalight, Erco and so many others. Same thing with the Qscape system compared to the rest on the market. It fills a niche. They are a high end / spec. grade product line that will generate higher revenues per unit installed. There is no question of that. Now you just have to develop your market for this calibre of system.

It all comes down to your client and their needs and demands. Obviously you would not be showcasing spec. grade lighting to the little old lady down the road who needs to safely light the steps to her deck. This line and all the rest of the spec. grade components that I talk about are for your showcase clients. For the 2 to 10 percent who want only the best money can buy.

Pro-Scapes
02-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Well it sounds like your sold. Why dont you give us some great step by step photos when you install one this spring. Im curious to see how this all goes in.

pete scalia
02-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Well it sounds like your sold. Why dont you give us some great step by step photos when you install one this spring. Im curious to see how this all goes in.

You mean he's sold on himself and his holier than thou market BS. He won't be buying too many of those Qtrans and no one else will be either. Like I said it will appeal to maybe 2 percent of the market and at this point I'm lowering my ecstimate to 1%. Good luck Qtrans. If he's promoting it I'm staying away.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I will try to do just that Billy. I have two systems going in this spring / early summer that I will be using the Qscape system on. I will take some 'in progress' photos and provide a report on my findings, both positive and negative.

I did not start this thread for any other reason then simply wanting to show you all what is new and exciting in the market. I am not here to 'defend' Qtran or their product line, I just think it is a new, remarkable advancement in power systems that might be beneficial to some of us.

Have a great day.

steveparrott
02-11-2008, 09:15 AM
The way to make more money in landscape lighting is not to select more expensive products in the hope that you can increase the margin you make on these components. Nor is it to experiment with new power systems when existing ones work just fine.

The way to make more money in lighting is to focus on gathering leads and closing on those leads. When you have more jobs than you can handle, you raise your price. Homeowners are willing to pay more - primarily based on the quality of your lighting designs. If you have a good reputation and a good portfolio and charge higher prices, then the homeowner generally assumes that you've got the technology handled. Again, its the quality of your designs that matter most.

My guess is that if two lighting companies were competing for the same job, it would be the company with the better design presentation that would get the job - regardless of which company had the most advanced technology.

Of course we should always be alert to technological advances that bring real improvement to the industry, and experiment with them if we want, but we should not believe that the latest greatest in new technology will be the primary driver for increasing our revenue. Let's never forget that Landscape Lighting is primarily a design profession; and the companies that best excel in selling their designs are the ones that rise to the top.

Flow Control
02-11-2008, 10:05 AM
The way to make more money in landscape lighting is not to select more expensive products in the hope that you can increase the margin you make on these components. Nor is it to experiment with new power systems when existing ones work just fine.

The way to make more money in lighting is to focus on gathering leads and closing on those leads. When you have more jobs than you can handle, you raise your price. Homeowners are willing to pay more - primarily based on the quality of your lighting designs. If you have a good reputation and a good portfolio and charge higher prices, then the homeowner generally assumes that you've got the technology handled. Again, its the quality of your designs that matter most.

My guess is that if two lighting companies were competing for the same job, it would be the company with the better design presentation that would get the job - regardless of which company had the most advanced technology.

Of course we should always be alert to technological advances that bring real improvement to the industry, and experiment with them if we want, but we should not believe that the latest greatest in new technology will be the primary driver for increasing our revenue. Let's never forget that Landscape Lighting is primarily a design profession; and the companies that best excel in selling their designs are the ones that rise to the top.

Well put Steve

Mark B
02-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Post like this kill me. Very entertaining.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-11-2008, 09:05 PM
What can I say? Some of you guys just don't get where I am coming from.

To each their own.

Mark B
02-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Well James my.02 you guys act like you are sending a rocket to mars. I have nothing agaist the new goodies. BUT when they get down to what I pay for a tranny, wire, fixtures. I'm not going to use them.

And btw the way i'm getting out of my funk that I have been in over the past few weeks. So i'm not getting out of the biz.

steveparrott
02-12-2008, 08:37 AM
James, I hope you don't misunderstand my last post. I think it's great that you bring these new products to our attention. I'm just reacting to the belief that being early adopters of new technology will somehow drive more revenue to companies that might best focus their energy on improving their sales, marketing and design skills.

Eden Lights
02-12-2008, 09:13 AM
I will say, I wasn't at ALOP so I havn't seen the wiring system, so I really can't comment on it. I do have one of the new transformers and I have played with it and I have to say it is one of the most innovative and forward thinking products that I have seen in this industry in the last 10 years. It is without a doubt the highest quality in construction, materials, and assembly of anything in the industry. As far as their marketing position? I don't know that's up to them, but I can imagine you will start seeing in your spec grade: commercial, government, and resort projects real soon. If your a licensed contractor in your area you should seek out your rep. take them out to lunch and show them your work because they will be out specing this product into projects in your area. We call these projects Whales and you could do a better job than the electrical contractor that's getting them now.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Steve. I don't promote the concept of switching to an 'early adopter' model simply to increase revenues. That is not my message at all, and it would probably be an unsuccessful endeavor. I believe that you either are an early adopter or you are not. Fortunately for me, many of my clients are, as I am too. It's a good match up.

My main message here is to promote a focus into the upper echelons of any market. In order to successfully do that, you also have to back it up with appropriate products and service. Having new and very well thought out and engineered systems like QScape, provides us with the tools to satisfy the requirements of the spec. grade market.

Someone has to lead the market.
Someone has to cater to the top of the marketplace.
Someone has to provide the newest and the "latest and greatest"

Why not you? (That would be the generic "you", like the royal "we",

Regards.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-12-2008, 09:27 AM
I will say, I wasn't at ALOP so I havn't seen the wiring system, so I really can't comment on it. I do have one of the new transformers and I have played with it and I have to say it is one of the most innovative and forward thinking products that I have seen in this industry in the last 10 years. It is without a doubt the highest quality in construction, materials, and assembly of anything in the industry. As far as their marketing position? I don't know that's up to them, but I can imagine you will start seeing in your spec grade: commercial, government, and resort projects real soon. If your a licensed contractor in your area you should seek out your rep. take them out to lunch and show them your work because they will be out specing this product into projects in your area. We call these projects Whales and you could do a better job than the electrical contractor that's getting them now.

You are right on the money there. I agree that you will see this line being specified by Architects, Landscpae Architects, Electrical Engineers, in the near future. You might as well understand its form and function if you are going to be going after these jobs.

Have a great day.