PDA

View Full Version : aeriate

keifer
11-03-2001, 12:11 AM
I am new to the forum and had a few questions. Can you aeriate to much / will it hurt the roots. and my next question is what is a scrub the word is used alot in other threads. thanks for your time.

Ric
11-03-2001, 02:11 AM
Keifer

Welcome to lawnsite, enjoy. I am only a month or so on lawnsite myself and have benefited from it already. I like your honest approch to you question.

A scrub is any competerior that is un profressional or lowballs his price. Also he has home owner eguipment that is hauled in the back of his 1852 rusted lincon towncar. He is one of those slime balls you love to hate. You will want to kill him when he takes one of your customer for $5 a cut.

Hollow core aeriation. Yes you can aeriate too much at one time. Each time you run over an area you are tearing up roots and punching hole in the soil. The benefit of the holes should out weight the damage to the roots. however if you run over an area too much the damage to the roots is worst than the benefit to the soil. Depending on the soil and it's compaction you can aeriate too much from an economic stand point. Cost out weight benefits. Also if you do not allow the roots to recover in between aeriation you can aeriate too much. I see you are from Ala. and I am going to assume(ass u me) that you are in red clay or at leased clay. Clay compacts easily and if the soil has not been aeriate for a long time you can aeriate every 30 to 60 days until you see response. After that 3 to 4 times a year if you are in heavy clay. If you are in that heavy of clay topdressing with sand would be of great benefit. Next question is how can I tell if I have heavy clay soil? Ask you local county extension agent what he recoments on aeriation. Or send a soil sample to Tifton Labs in Tifton Ga.

Tine aeriation. Tine aeration with a home owner model you probably can't aeriate too much, pull it behind you mower ever time or everyother time you cut. These tine aeriater do not go real deep so they really do not aeriate very well and should be used much more offen.

Ric
I can"t spelllll but 2+2=5

keifer
11-03-2001, 09:51 AM
Thanks for responding to me post and for all the good info. This should be beneficial to me in the future.