PDA

View Full Version : Holt CAT Land Clearing Modifications w/PICS

CarterKraft
02-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Here are some pictures of a 256C at the recent 2008 Ft. Worth Stock Show booth.

HOLT CAT's values based operating philosophy is governed by our company's Mission, Vision and Core Business Values.

One of the Values is Excellence- "By continually getting better"

This shows in all aspects of the business but especially in product improvements. Holt has allot of CCE customers who perfrom very different tasks, early on we learned that a stock Skid-Steer would need some minor improvements to operate efficently in brusch cutting/mulching applications. Each store has strived to perform a list of mods to machines in there area and then collectivly we apply these mods to the machines. These pictures represent some of the latest but by no means the last of the improvements.

bobcat_ron
02-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Those HOLT people are seriously talented. I like the rear screen idea, that's got to be an expensive job though.

CarterKraft
02-09-2008, 12:14 PM
more pics for above

YellowDogSVC
02-09-2008, 12:14 PM
I dunno about the rear screen. One cedar tree stop could poke a hole through that. Why is the screen there? for better breathing?

bobcat_ron
02-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Yup, now all the entry points between the cab and engine are sealed off so the air has to come from somewhere.

bobcat_ron
02-09-2008, 12:20 PM
BTW, get those pics over to HEF!

BIGBEN2004
02-09-2008, 12:21 PM
I like the guard over the exhaust. That is a easy entry for stuff to fall down in their around the hot muffler.

YellowDogSVC
02-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Yup, now all the entry points between the cab and engine are sealed off so the air has to come from somewhere.

I know that screen won't last. It can't down here where we have ashe juniper. they are too bushy and pokey and very tough. Those trees are responsible for most of the damage and machine fires that I know of. On the Bobcat, with the solid rear door, you have more protection. The CAT door was solid but unless that screen is super tough, I don't think it can hold up to the pokey cedars. The woods are so dense here, trees are big, and often you have hard, dead branches waiting to poke out a window or in this case, a screen.
I like th whiskers on over the boom openings. Dunno about the vinyl air filter covers. Again, bushy cedars are rough on everything. I think they do those mods in Waco or at least developed them there from a lot of input. I commend them for trying to fix the issue and stop the machine fires.

CarterKraft
02-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Like I said the mods are very much application specific.

Those mods were developed in Lewisville and are probally correct for the application.

I have packaged many of the B-series machines even refining the CAT debris barrier to allow the cab to be raised and lowered without removing any gaurds. We work with the customer to get he machine they want.

Something I don't have pictures of right now is the bored out and upsized quick coupler manifolds. We bore the manifolds to 3/4" ID and port them for -12 fittings instead of the -10. We also run the A-series high flow couplers which are larger than b or c series. We also remove a shuttle valve in the pump signal line to allow for quicker recovery and higher initial starting power on heavy drum cutting tools.

The coupler mods lower hyd oil temps when grinding all day, something not required for normal skid steer operation.

qzilla
02-09-2008, 01:01 PM
I looked at the "Screen" and it is not really a screen. It is welded, heavy expanded metal.

If you were to tear it up it would shock me. This is only after seeing it in person at the stock show.

The idea behind it is that since they sealed the door up, you would be suckin air straight out of the bottom where tracks are throwing dirt up. By venting the rear door it allows for fresh air to go over the coolers. So the guy told me.

YellowDogSVC
02-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Like I said the mods are very much application specific.

Those mods were developed in Lewisville and are probally correct for the application.

I have packaged many of the B-series machines even refining the CAT debris barrier to allow the cab to be raised and lowered without removing any gaurds. We work with the customer to get he machine they want.

Something I don't have pictures of right now is the bored out and upsized quick coupler manifolds. We bore the manifolds to 3/4" ID and port them for -12 fittings instead of the -10. We also run the A-series high flow couplers which are larger than b or c series. We also remove a shuttle valve in the pump signal line to allow for quicker recovery and higher initial starting power on heavy drum cutting tools.

The coupler mods lower hyd oil temps when grinding all day, something not required for normal skid steer operation.

My cat salesman told me about the quick coupler bore out. Sounds like a smart thing that HOLT is doing. Like I said, I commend HOLT for addressing these issues. I saw the whiskers on the B series 268 I have at my place for a demo. Good idea.

You probably don't have as much cedar up there as we do down here. I think a solid door is a necessity down here in my humble opinion.

I'm still trying to talk myself into CAT. Was almost there until I heard about my friend's fire in the engine compartment. That just gives me shudders but your HALO comment was interesting.

YellowDogSVC
02-09-2008, 01:15 PM
I looked at the "Screen" and it is not really a screen. It is welded, heavy expanded metal.

If you were to tear it up it would shock me. This is only after seeing it in person at the stock show.

The idea behind it is that since they sealed the door up, you would be suckin air straight out of the bottom where tracks are throwing dirt up. By venting the rear door it allows for fresh air to go over the coolers. So the guy told me.

Makes a little more sense. I have the expanded welded metal of my lights on the rear of my bobcat and it got pushed in. I have had a piece of cedar go through a HULK tire lug and come out the other side. Very sharp and hard branches on the dead wood. We have a lot of old, large stumps where the cedar choppers just left skeletons in the woods. Those things are very pokey and have ruined parts on my Bobcats. Maybe a double screen with some sort of bumper would make me feel better! :)

BIGBEN2004
02-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Not to mention did anyone see what was hanging on the door behind that screen? It is the coolant overflow tank. Pop a hole in that thing and your day is done. I think they could have placed that somewhere else.

Scag48
02-09-2008, 06:21 PM
In the second picture it looks like there is a piece of steel covering 90% of the tank on the exterior side. Not sure why they didn't cover all of it, but whatever.

CarterKraft
02-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Since details are so important to you guys the overflow tank doesn't even come into the equation, that is for overflow when the cooling system is overheated, it has no pressure and doesn't perform a function during normal operation.

It could be removed entirely.:hammerhead:

BIGBEN2004
02-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Did they move the fuel filler to the back or is that the new place on the new cats instead of being on the side? I noticed it in one of the pictures that it is in the back on the lower right side.

YellowDogSVC
02-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Since details are so important to you guys the overflow tank doesn't even come into the equation, that is for overflow when the cooling system is overheated, it has no pressure and doesn't perform a function during normal operation.

It could be removed entirely.:hammerhead:

It's all about details. What else are we going to talk about? Work? :laugh:

Gravel Rat
02-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I had a look at the pictures there is some good ideas but that screen doesn't look very strong on that door. I can see a broken off stub of a log punching through that. The door itself doesn't look heavy enough.

On the back of the cab there should be sweeps to keep falling branches or a falling tree from taking out the rad.

I like there is a remote oil filter but its mounted in a bad spot.

You want to build a machine designed for forestry work bring it to a outfitter in B.C. or Pacific Northwest they will design it for heavy forestry work.

They would take that rear door off make a heavier new one there would be a proper ventilation system to keep the engine cool. There would be more guarding to keep the important parts safe.

Finnings used to make forestry specific Cat machinery but Cat said no more so now it is all done in the manufacturing plant. Now any Forestry equipment you get from Cat now is no where near as good as what Finnings built. Finnings built the machine for West Coast use.

bobcat_ron
02-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Cat would almost be better off going with a reversible fan in a situation like that, then it creates postive pressure to keep all the crap out, then the only thing that has to be cleaned is the upper screen for the radiator. But that does bring up another issue of all that hot air from the radiator now blowing over the engine. I did that on my T190 with 2 layers of heavy duty stainless steel bug screen, during grass cutting in the summer, every hour I'd look behind me and if the screen was 50% covered, I'd sweep it off.

YellowDogSVC
02-09-2008, 10:11 PM
I
I like there is a remote oil filter but its mounted in a bad spot.

I was thinking it was awfully close to muffler. A pin hole in the hydro line could be disastrous, right?

YellowDogSVC
02-09-2008, 10:14 PM
. I did that on my T190 with 2 layers of heavy duty stainless steel bug screen, during grass cutting in the summer, every hour I'd look behind me and if the screen was 50% covered, I'd sweep it off.

the joys of mowing with a bobcat. It once took me 9 hours to mow a coastal field of 10AC because the grass was so thick and damp it kept clogging the radiator screen. I have to use an AC cut to fit filter over the radiator and under the grill when I mow to keep radiators clean. It works good but I have to replace it every few days. Wal Mart loves me for that.

BIGBEN2004
02-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Why don't they build the rear door like their competitors do with vent slats in the door. Take a look at Case, New Holland, Deere, and Takeuchi. They have rear doors that are vented and very rugged against most objects from entering the engine compartment. They aren't 100% at keeping things out but do a good job.

CarterKraft
02-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Remember this is texas, no redwoods are being felled with a SSL around here. Mesquite and Cedar is the norm for this type of machine.

Allot of what we try to is to see how it works, if at all, we tried a water tank on a mulcher once, didn't make a differance, we didn't sell that to anyone.

if the rear door is a problem we will fix it. this is not a assembly line, each machine is tailored to fit.

As to the remote mount hyd filter and fuel fill, that is were CAT put them on the C-series. The filter on the B-series was directly above the turbo and muffler, I don't recall it ever being a problem. The pressure on that loop is very low anyway and those hoses are 3000 psi WP. It's fine.

RockSet N' Grade
02-10-2008, 12:00 PM
YellowDog, I have similar problems when mowing. Never tried AC filter cut to fit, but what I have found that works fairly well is regular household window screen cut to size and gorilla taped into place. Rolls up and stores behind the seat truck pretty nice also for spares.

Danish Cat technician
02-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Carterkraft>> Nice looking mods. Thumbs up from a Caterpillar coworker :)

I think we should try trading ideas once i a while. We make a lot of taylormade mods too.

YellowDogSVC
02-11-2008, 04:17 PM
YellowDog, I have similar problems when mowing. Never tried AC filter cut to fit, but what I have found that works fairly well is regular household window screen cut to size and gorilla taped into place. Rolls up and stores behind the seat truck pretty nice also for spares.

I think every manufacturer should install a roll for duct or gorilla tape!