PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone ban in NY

DanG
11-03-2001, 12:48 AM
Just a friendly reminder that the new law started November 1st in NY.
You can no longer drive while holding/using your cell phone unless it's a hands free one.

They're giving out a warning the first offense and after that it's $100.

Dan G.

geogunn
11-03-2001, 01:05 AM
dan--can one use his nextel on two way mode?

GEO

65hoss
11-03-2001, 06:57 AM
For my birthday recently my g'friend got me a hands free setup. The speaker plugs into the power plug and a mic you mount on the sunvisor. It works great. I have fallen in love with that thing. Sounds good and makes it real easy to use the truck as your office. Only problem I have is that when you use it it is like having someone in the truck with you. You kinda forget your on the phone and not just talking with someone riding. My cell bills might go up.

Oh, I think it was just under $60.

Premo Services
11-03-2001, 10:31 AM
:blob4: :D :blob4:

As you can see, this is good news!
I wish they would do it all over the country!!!!!
These people drive like they are on a race track, and the cell phone is a big distraction. Every day I see people driving like they are drunk, but when they pass you, you can see a cell sticking out of their ear. I would like to stick it somewhere else. They pay no attention to the traffic when these things are in their ears.
I have the hands free kit with mine, and you really can hold a conversation without distracting yourself from driving.
65hoss- The cell bills will go up a lot. I have had mine for over a year now.

kris
11-03-2001, 10:37 AM
I am guily of driving while talking ... it is dangerous...going to look into hands free in the coming winter.

Guido
11-03-2001, 11:03 AM
even now, after they put the law into effect here in Germany, on and off the base. I'm going to wait for my truck to get here to install the hands free kit I bought. It was $50 or so I think.

The fine here (no warning) is DM 500 which is about $250.00 and it is being strictly enforced!

stslawncare
11-03-2001, 06:25 PM
does that count when ur driving a roller on base too? :D

LoneStarLawn
11-03-2001, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by geogunn
dan--can one use his nextel on two way mode?

GEO

NO phone can be in your hands while driving.

Great Law.

roscioli
11-03-2001, 06:55 PM
I gotta say (and I am sure everyone will disagree with me), but come on. I have a hands free too, but don't use it half the time. I don't find any difference between using it or not, its not like I stare at my phone while driving, I talk on it, and watch the road. Maybe I am the exception. The only reason I use the hands free is to avoid the possible brain cancer.
just my .02

geogunn
11-03-2001, 07:25 PM
personally I think the cell phone ban in NY is dumb.

I've had one for years and the only time I've ever nearly had a wreck was when I had to look up a number in the phone book while I was driving.:blush:

GEO

lee b
11-03-2001, 07:58 PM
Another little bit of freedom lost and people applaud.:rolleyes:

Fine Lines Lawn
11-03-2001, 08:19 PM
I use the phone constantly while driving, and I still think this new law is a good idea.