PDA

View Full Version : Dump kit

CSRA Landscaping
11-03-2001, 12:48 AM
What are your thoughts on this thing shown at http://www.truckcraft.net/ ?

Anyone had any experience with it? Is it worth it?

Rex Mann
11-03-2001, 01:36 AM
Jeff,

I do not have an insert. However, that brand is very popular around Northern Ohio. I looked at them. They seem pretty durable. They are also light weight <500 pounds. A lot of cash. Deluxe model about $4500.00 installed.

Rex

Guido
11-03-2001, 10:48 AM
For about the same amount you can mount a flatbed with a dumphoist on the truck. That will give you more space (and durability) than the insert for the same $$.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
11-03-2001, 07:00 PM
I have the aluminum version of the Truck Craft dump insert. The thing is great for mulch, grass clippings and cleanups .. Top soil too, even gravel I've had dumped into it.. I have had it for about 4 1/2 years no problems.. It's really light compared to the steel units, 450lbs compared to over 1000lbs.. You can get the tarping system for either that mounts in the cab guard.. With wooden insert sides I can get 4 yard s into it without a problem.. Unless it's gravel or top soil cause my truck cant handle that much weight.. But I give it a thumbs up.. The only issue I have with it is that it is exactly 48" wide at the bottom and a pallet of field stone is usually a little wider , with it hanging over and it get s difficult to get that kind of material back there..

cat320
11-03-2001, 09:56 PM
I saw the alumminum truck craft and liked it but I think that it is a little too pricy.I can get an 8' air flow dump body for the same kind of money installed that will dump more and carry more.Good Idea just need to be closer to the $1,200 to $1,500 range

SJR Lawncare
11-04-2001, 08:26 PM
I looked into a dump insert for my pick-up, but kept my eyes open for a stake body truck. Finally I found an 86 Ford F350 Stake dump for $3200. Now I have 2 trucks for not much more than I would have spent on an insert. So, if you have some time, I would advise to find a dump truck.

SJR

landscaper3
11-04-2001, 10:42 PM
Down East sells the E-Z Dumper insert cash & carry at $1799.00 plus $299.00 for the above cab piece. We see EZ dumpers all over the place and if we didnt have 2 dump trucks thats the brand we would run.

googles
12-22-2005, 02:07 PM
I have the dump kit on my silverado pickup. i dont like it because it weak. they make it seem like you can dump a lot of weight. you cant. i cant dump more then a yard of dirt. its only good for leaves and light mulch. plus everything gets hold up by the wheel wells. plus if you are loaded with to many wet leaves or just too much weight you still have to dig it out of bed plus you can put gas in the dump because you have to now lift the bed to do it. buy a dump truck or go with the ez dump kit. much stronger

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Do you have any idea what a yard of dirt or top soil weighs.... more than that truck is probably rated for !!!! Those kits and even dump inserts are rated higher than most of the applications you would put them in. But in a pickup truck even though it says can lift 5ooo lbs, your truck can only handle 1000lbs.......

googles
12-22-2005, 07:25 PM
well my dump kit cant do a yard unless you pile it all at the end of the tailget. the truck can hold a 2 yards but the dump cant lift it

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-22-2005, 07:50 PM
curious , what kind of truck do you have an F550 ??

googles
12-23-2005, 11:22 AM
I have a 250, if you have a 550 you should have a real dump body or you can get a heavy duty dump kit

lwcmattlifter
12-23-2005, 12:02 PM
I have a powder coated Bri-Mar insert. Nothing sticks to it ever. We never have a problem dumping two yards of top soil, crushed marble or gravel.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-23-2005, 01:55 PM
So you have an F250 , a light duty or an HD ?? Do you know what the payload of your truck is ?? What is the GVWR say inside the door jamb, how much does your truck weigh unloaded, now add the dump insert which is what 8 or 900lbs, now whats left..... You and some rakes.... Maybe ???

googles
12-23-2005, 02:27 PM
there is just to many draw backs to the insert. if you have a full load where it wont lift you cant put gas in it. you have to lift the bed to put gas in it. with a dump truck you dont have to worry about that. if you have a boards on your pickup and have it loaded with leaves or grass clippings you will have to shovel it out because of the wheel wells. it does slide nice but it wont becuase of that. plus it kills the truck to be using it as a dump. i am just telling you from what i own and what i hate about it. i would never buy another dump kit again but thats my option

StealthDT
12-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Googles had the same bad experiences with kits that I did. I had to invent my own solution to all the problems. Of course googles might be a ringer since he didn't even mention the issues with towing.

Here's googles kit on the right, mines on the left....
http://stealthdumptrucks.com/difference.JPG

googles
12-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Of course googles might be a ringer since he didn't even mention the issues with towing.

yea i should have shown some pics. the bumper had to be moved and welded so it all looked stock, then the hitch had to be extended. so on top of the cost of the kit you still have to add in the cost to do the bumper and hitch. if you weld it yourself then you save a few bucks but make sure you really get a professional to weld something like the hitch. looks like stealthdump has a 6ft bed so he may not have to load heavy things towards the end of the beds becuase if you try and put more then a yard of dirt all towards the front of the bed you will be shoveling it out. like i said a thousand times buy a dump or get the dump insert. this way you can put gas in it whenever you want and not have to worry about how much weight you have in the bed of you truck.

googles
12-26-2005, 07:48 PM
I dont know why my pics are not posting!

StealthDT
12-26-2005, 08:00 PM
There ya go, he knows what he's talking about. I gas up from the wheelwell, nothing I can do about that problem. At least I include the parts to make it work right, and they're stainless or powdercoated. The six foot bed is correct, I made it first because nobody else had a kit. Unless you wanted the six foot insert, and only one manufacturer has one. I talked to them and those short ones aren't moving, my guess is they will discontinue production.

googles
12-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Stealthdump are you happy with the dump kit??? what stuff are you using it for. i hate mine and i am selling the truck because i bought a dump truck

StealthDT
12-26-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm only happy because I'm the inventor. I've solved the problems MYSELF. Not to mention built it to aerospace specs. I drive mine and use it almost daily. It's perfect for what it's designed for, a modification that allows you to dump a pick-up bed. I've got three weight classes all the way from 1 ton to almost 3 ton. It's not a 5 ton dump truck, and shouldn't be expected to perform like one. If one desires to transport and dump over 6000lbs. on a pick-up, I'd highly recommend you have your head examined.

googles
12-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Stealth what are you the inventor of LOL.... and how many yards of dirt can you dump???