PDA

View Full Version : A few quick questions about Lighting

CAPT Stream Rotar
02-09-2008, 04:54 PM
How can you best use a multimeter to test a system?

I have serviced a few lighting systems but would like to learn more....Have you ever seen a lighting system hardwired to a breaker box?

any tips would be helpful..

Thank you

~ED

Pro-Scapes
02-09-2008, 05:11 PM
How can you best use a multimeter to test a system?

I have serviced a few lighting systems but would like to learn more....Have you ever seen a lighting system hardwired to a breaker box?

any tips would be helpful..

Thank you

~ED

Ed... You should grab nate mullens book which goes into detail. Its too complex to let you know in one post since there are so many variables but you should be using it to check voltage at the lamps under load as well as amperages with a clamp on meter.

As far as a lighting system wired to the breaker panel... do you mean the transformer is wired to the panel or the lighting fixtures are ? I have seen transformers hardwired to the panels before and you will need a licensed electrician on this type of installation.

Hope this helps some

CAPT Stream Rotar
02-09-2008, 05:31 PM
how just just a few quick tips like what setting for a standard system..

Meter settings, best way to test from the controller....

how about a bone here.

Dennis Spencer
02-09-2008, 11:51 PM
how just just a few quick tips like what setting for a standard system..

Meter settings, best way to test from the controller....

how about a bone here.

Rotar remember controller (irrigation) transformer (lighting):rolleyes:

ChampionLS
02-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Set it to 1/1000th of a volt... :hammerhead:

No. dont do that!.

Set it to the nearest scale over your highest assumed voltage. That depends on your meter. Usually 0-50 for lighting. Make sure your leads are plugged into the AC test points on your meter.

Pro-Scapes
02-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Dont you need a license to do lighting in Mass ? I would contact Sean Curran at DB curran in your area. He can get you on the right track I bet.

Simply telling you on here how to do it will yield you little in the field. A decent meter will auto range usually... make sure your using AC voltage and Amps to check all your specs including voltage at the fixtures with a load.... voltage at the trans on both input and output... amperage on your runs... total amps per common and amps on your primary.

If you dont know which range to set your meter too I really encourage you to sub this work out

Monster Zero
02-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Where would one find Nate Mullens book? Is this the Landscape Lighting Reference Manual, or is it a different book? I've looked at Amazon and haven't been able to find either Nate Mullens (by author) or Landscape Lighting Reference Manual.

Thanks.

Pro-Scapes
02-11-2008, 09:31 AM
where is Joey right on cue with this one ? Try uniques website.

JoeyD
02-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Where would one find Nate Mullens book? Is this the Landscape Lighting Reference Manual, or is it a different book? I've looked at Amazon and haven't been able to find either Nate Mullens (by author) or Landscape Lighting Reference Manual.

Thanks.

Here ya go!

http://www.uniquelighting.com/education/Bookpage.html