PDA

View Full Version : B.C. wants to import workers from the Phillipines

Gravel Rat
02-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I was reading in the Province paper and on the news employers want the B.C. gov't to import people from the Phillipines to fill jobs. Supposidy employers keep screaming labour shortage.

What I really laughed about is the BC Trucking Association says they need 5000 people annually for trucking jobs so they want to import more immigrants to fill these jobs.

Problem 1 the reason why there is a shortage in the trucking industry especially long haul is there is no money in it. A driver gets paid very poor wages thats if you get paid. There are owner operators out there are barely making a profit because of fuel costs etc. Make trucking a better paying career maybe the drivers that are not driving will go back to driving.

Now with the other low paying jobs nobody wants is because you can't afford to live off of a 8 dollar per hour job. You live in Vancouver in some rat infested basement suite for 600-800 a month. Around my area you can't even find a place to rent under 800 a month. People are trying to rent 20' travel trailers for 800 a month.

Back to the trucking maybe if it was profitable and you actually get paid a decent wage people might do the job.

I think employers want B.C. to import workers from overseas to drive the wages down. I guess it is the same problem as the USA with mexican workers.

These people wanting to import thousands of people to B.C. keep saying baby boomers retiring. I know lots of baby boomers that are 65 they don't want to retire some of them said they will work till they croak. They like the job they are doing and they can't live off a pension.

Why in the h*ll does B.C. want to import workers when there are thousands of forestry workers getting laid off and no work. Especially people from overseas where the gov't will have to support them :rolleyes:

Then the managers at my employer said there will be more spending cuts so it looks like we will have a even smaller budget to work with. I can see our extra help budget will be cut back. We asked for a new phone last year and got a second hand phone from another dept :(

Yup importing people from other countries to work in B.C. is going to cure problems :confused:

bobcat_ron
02-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Sounds right on to me, with the Mexicans they were only available to work 8 months of the year (at least here) and the East Indian people can't do it because they are too damn busy forging false documentation and passports to get all their "Uncles", "sons", "fathers", "cousins" and "brothers" to live here, so the next link on the economic cheap labor force is the Philippines.

Fieldman12
02-09-2008, 09:17 PM
I work at a large air cargo company that ships all over the world. If you go there at night on 3rd. shift the workers make you think your in a complete different country. They want to tell you how secure airports have become. That is the biggest joke in the world I can tell you. Im around the DC-8,DC-9 and 767 planes every day. Some of the people they hire I would be affraid to touch. Several years ago they got in trouble for illegals.

Fieldman12
02-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Around here now most jobs are starting out at $9.00 an hour. What are you going to do at that pay. I know people I work with that have college degrees and I make more than them. They tell you to go to college but what they fail to tell you is even though you go does not guarantee you a good salary. I made more money seven years ago. My pay seems to be going down instead of up not to mention the rising prices.

Gravel Rat
02-09-2008, 10:29 PM
There is lots of low paying jobs out there but with our cost of living so high if you don't make minimum 15 dollars per hour you will have a tough time paying rent.

Look at Fort McMurray Alberta people at McDonalds are making 20 bucks per hour. You can pretty well consider minimum wage up there 20 dollars per hour.

The wages I make at my gov't job are not that great it is a steady 2000 a month and that is all what is good about it. If they paid me my wage without deductions I would be making 3300 a month :laugh:

ksss
02-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Phillipinos are hard workers in general. The climate may be a bit of an issue for them. I wish I had a dime back for every dollar I spent in their country. I could fund my new 440.:weightlifter:

Gravel Rat
02-10-2008, 01:04 AM
I don't think it is a good idea to import people to take jobs away from people that are citizens of B.C.

Get employers to pay a decent wage it may attract the thousands of people that flocked to Alberta for work back to B.C.

Fieldman12
02-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Allot of these people are good workers that is no doubt. The thing is they dont plan on staying at that dead in job that people claim they are coming here to take. They look to move up the ladder like everyone else. That is fine I guess but they should become legal US citizens the correct way.

RockSet N' Grade
02-10-2008, 12:23 PM
GravelRat.... employees who don't mind missing a lunch, don't whine, and have a can do attitude are certainly the minority in the US and Canada....so importing folks who aren't whiners should be expected. "We" have become soft and complacent with an attitude of entitlement.......it is about time this bubble of illusion is popped.

wanabe
02-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Yep, this is part of the recession problem. When the employers pay very little, the employees have very little to spend. The US has taken everything they can to be made overseas. If we can not export the work, then we import some bums that will work for scab wages. And nobody can figure out whats wrong with the economy? Pay a living wage and the workers will spend money.

ksss
02-10-2008, 12:56 PM
GravelRat.... employees who don't mind missing a lunch, don't whine, and have a can do attitude are certainly the minority in the US and Canada....so importing folks who aren't whiners should be expected. "We" have become soft and complacent with an attitude of entitlement.......it is about time this bubble of illusion is popped.

Very true. If there were people in the area willing and capable of filling the employment void they would not be considering importing workers.

Fieldman12
02-10-2008, 01:14 PM
I dont think all of it has to do with not finding people. Granted most people want a nice clean job these days. I think allot of it just has to do with wanting people that will work for nothing. Around here the people that want the illegals do not offer any benefits or even a living wage. That is why at least around here no one is willing to take the job.

tnmtn
02-10-2008, 03:19 PM
i have worked with many phillopeno's over the years. they took over the deck work in shipping years ago. very generally speaking, in my experiance they are hard workers. that being said they are far from the smartest workers. effiency is of no concern to them for the same reason it is of no concern to low wage american workers. i have worked with both and will not work vessels with foreign crews again. i will take 1 american deadbeat to 2 from where ever you want to pick any day. from my view the problem is the pencil pushers in offices. production isn't as important as the illusion of production. same with quality. the illusion is all that matters. saving money on employess becomes more important that the job itself. this may be why the big 3 car makers are where they are now. 30 years ago there well paid well compensated employees that built the best cars in the world. when was the last time you saw a datsun B-210 on the road or a lil hustler. we were told they were better more durable than the american makes. but i never see them to day. i still see old fords and chevy's. even the occasional power wagon. now the american cars are built from parts from all over. i have yet to see a thread about how their quality has gone up since doing this. i'll shut up for now but this is a rant that i can't avoid. GR sorry to hear about B.C. just keeping reading about how good they are and how great it will be and sooner or later it will become true :laugh:. remeber mccain is a liberal. maybe this thread should be under politics.

Gravel Rat
02-10-2008, 07:45 PM
I think the gov't should be helping the younger generation help them with training etc. With the cost of living so high the younger generation ie 20 to 35 have a tough time making ends meet. When your paying 800-1000 dollars a month rent plus a car payment and all other expenses it doesn't leave much left. Trades school isn't cheap or any kind of higher education.

The provincial gov't has a one track mind which is fill their pockets. This thing importing Phillipino workers is a bad idea. So if a person can't afford to make a living off of a 8 to 10 dollar per hour job how is a fillipino worker going to.

I can see trying to attract doctors or other health care workers from out of country because Canada has a shortage of medical people. Importing people for the jobs like working in restaurants because the restaurants don't want to pay anymore than 8 bucks per hour.

Then the construction industry wants cheap labour so they make more profit.

Sunscaper
02-12-2008, 10:49 AM
I agree with both sides here. Basically economics need to be balanced. I don't want to take on jobs where all the profit goes to payroll, and I don't believe that people should work for peanuts either no matter where they come from.

Coming from Pa, which is a VERY Democratic union state due to the past industrial age coal mines, and steel mills everyone wants to start at $30.00 per hour, slack off half the day, and then to top it off get benefits, unemployment, etc. It's very hard to be the lowest bidder, provide work to employees, and still pay prevailing wage. And basically as the owner I am taking all the risk so I should gain the most profit, right?

Once I moved to Florida i found it to be a polar opposite. Developers here build 100 houses at a huge profit margin and pay illegals pennies to do the work. Could they afford to pay people decent wages, sure. Did they? No.
I then saw another side of the coin. Basically we need balance in business. And realistically its hard to find that equilibrium because we, as humans are greedy by nature.

tallrick
02-12-2008, 05:20 PM
I agree with both sides here. Basically economics need to be balanced. I don't want to take on jobs where all the profit goes to payroll, and I don't believe that people should work for peanuts either no matter where they come from.

Coming from Pa, which is a VERY Democratic union state due to the past industrial age coal mines, and steel mills everyone wants to start at $30.00 per hour, slack off half the day, and then to top it off get benefits, unemployment, etc. It's very hard to be the lowest bidder, provide work to employees, and still pay prevailing wage. And basically as the owner I am taking all the risk so I should gain the most profit, right?

Once I moved to Florida i found it to be a polar opposite. Developers here build 100 houses at a huge profit margin and pay illegals pennies to do the work. Could they afford to pay people decent wages, sure. Did they? No.
I then saw another side of the coin. Basically we need balance in business. And realistically its hard to find that equilibrium because we, as humans are greedy by nature.

In Florida, especially south Florida there is simply no money in working for someone in this field. For me, the good side money has been in repairs. None of the illegals or low-cost immigrants seem to be in the service side of things. I was shocked to see how low wages are for operators when I looked around. One thing I wanted to do was take on the part-time weekend jobs to keep in practice, but it just wasn't possible as the low pay and lack of English speaking workers pushes quantity over quality. The work performed reflects the lack of proper compensation for labor.

Fieldman12
02-12-2008, 06:29 PM

I have said this all along. There has to be a balance in money between the business and the workers. Both have to make money to survive. It seems like any more though it is not balanced between the two parties.