PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Measuring lawns

rcreech
02-09-2008, 08:59 PM
I think I read on here just a few weeks ago about several of you using something like google earth to measure lawns.

I looked at very large commercial job today and it was near impossible to measure. They told me it is somewhere between 13 and 18 acres!

Can someone tell me what I need to do to get this "measured from the sky" or another way? I want this to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks,
RC

txgrassguy
02-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Simple, either query your state/county tax on-line record for measurements or google satellite photos of this specific region.
Typically contained on plats is the precise measurement of structures contained on the overall area recorded on the plat.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
02-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Hello fellow OHIOIAN I have used Goggle Earth to measure it has a measure ruler in the software comes in pretty close. Try it. Where in Ohio are you located.

rcreech
02-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Hello fellow OHIOIAN I have used Goggle Earth to measure it has a measure ruler in the software comes in pretty close. Try it. Where in Ohio are you located.

I am pretty close to Eaton OH. Love your Avatar! :laugh:

Do you have to buy this or is it free?

Thanks!

WALKER LANDSCAPE
02-09-2008, 09:37 PM
The Download is FREE The computer you own has to be able to run it thou. Thanks on Avitar you should see mine over on Plowsite. We are out of Cincy BTW. :waving:

rcreech
02-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Wonder if the Google Pro would work better? Worst thing is it cost $400.

lifetree
02-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Simple, either query your state/county tax on-line record for measurements or google satellite photos of this specific region.
Typically contained on plats is the precise measurement of structures contained on the overall area recorded on the plat.

Good information !!

QLC- Rick
02-10-2008, 01:09 AM
Your county records office should have the plat which will give you the exact measurements, including structures...like txgrassguy said. You could probly even photo copy it to take home and look at. Just go in there tell the old ladies what you're looking for and they'll most likely help you find it, copy it, and charge you a buck or two for the copy.

MStine315
02-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Wonder if the Google Pro would work better? Worst thing is it cost $400.

Did you figure it out yet? Google Earth is the whip. No need to pay for anything.

humble1
02-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Did you figure it out yet? Google Earth is the whip. No need to pay for anything.

how do you deal w/ figuring property lines? also when i look at my house i have a lot of trees so my 14k in turf lookks like 3-3k

MStine315
03-01-2008, 11:23 AM
I don't typically measure anything that I haven't seen on ground level. This way you have a feel for the property and any quirks. If you aren't familier with the property it can be tricky.