PDA

View Full Version : My fiber optic experiment

Lite4
02-10-2008, 12:09 AM
I have been experimenting with fiber optics in some of the fountains I build. What do you think?

Lite4
02-10-2008, 12:19 AM
one more in green.....

ChampionLS
02-10-2008, 02:02 AM
Nice Tim!... Wheres mine????

I've seen those things (sorry) here at one of our dealers. Are you at show in these pictures? We should get a tent for the next one so it's dark.

JimLewis
02-10-2008, 02:29 AM
Very cool! I don't like all the different colors, though. I think the first photo (purple??) looks cool. The second photo (blue) looks pretty good but for some reason, the last photo (green) doesn't appeal to me.

Do the fiber optics have to change color? Or can you get them in a fixed color? Also, how did you do that? Can you just hook up the F.O. light to a regular LV transformer like any other LV light? What kind of F.O. light fixture are you using?

I want to hook up my bubbler at my house like that and try it out for a little bit to see if it's something I think I could sell.

Lite4
02-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Thanks guys,
Anthony, We just used the tent because our booth was outside. there is a big heater in it since it is 45 during the day.

Jim, the fiber is driven by an LED driver. You can leave it on a stationary color or it can rotate, your choice. We incorporated the fiber right into the piping.

Keith
02-10-2008, 06:29 AM
Looks good Tim. I actually think I like the green the best.

Mike M
02-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Tim, next step: architectural RGB LED's.

Pro-Scapes
02-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Burt and I played with an mr16 rgb led this weekend. Could be cool for underwater or holidays but i dont see it being mainstream at all.

The led drop ins when pitted against the tru aim titan babs is close in color but isnt close to the DG color.

Tim can you email me more info on the fiber ? I might have a project coming soon and would like to discuss how and costs of doing a small project like this.

I know geek did some on a waterfall that were wonderful but i think he used metal halide sources ?

Lite4
02-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Billy, this is the thread that has the website for the fiber products and drivers. The possibilities are endless.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=214021

ChampionLS
02-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Have a look at this:

This is an experiment with a ColorKinetics LED sequencer. One is a MR16, and the other is a MR11. Each unit has 12 preset programs for colorwashing. They run on 12VAC or DC and change programs by pulsing the power on/off for 1 second/ They are so bright its blinding!

The photos are:

Small version MR:11 (large version is already uploaded in thread 'best fixture for ingrade'

The two together
A prototype paver light with the fixture

A MPEG movie showing the transition (fastest rate) There are 11 other programs!

All White
All Red
All Blue
All Green
Blend Red/Green
Blend Blue/Green
Blend Red/Blue
etc. (I cant remember all of them) I'll repost when I get a chance.

pete scalia
02-10-2008, 02:51 PM
These offshore imports look line nothing more than potential problems waiting to happen down the line. I'd like to know how long they have been field tested under real life conditions. My guess is not long at all.