PDA

View Full Version : dimension for crabgrass

xtremelawn
02-10-2008, 02:45 AM
I use Aquacap for my crabgrass control. I was wondering if I would get better control by using Dimension? I know it cost quite a bit more but is it worth it? If so at what rate do you recommend I put out at? When should I put it out and how long of coverage will it give me? I will be mixing it in a 200gal tank.

Thanks

Stillwater
02-10-2008, 05:03 AM
I use Aquacap for my crabgrass control. I was wondering if I would get better control by using Dimension? I know it cost quite a bit more but is it worth it? If so at what rate do you recommend I put out at? When should I put it out and how long of coverage will it give me? I will be mixing it in a 200gal tank.

Thanks

Get ready..... take cover........ you might get attacked and accused of not haveing a licence, hot heads do that hear. Try doing a search......

Indy Kyle
02-10-2008, 09:34 AM
The first question is ARE U LISCENSED? just kidding

xtremelawn
02-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Yes, I do have my license. The reason I ask was because I use the Aquacap and it does not seem to expensive. The dimension seems to be a lot more expensive. Just wanting to know if it was that much better.

Thanks

Stillwater
02-10-2008, 02:14 PM
I use drive..........

Victor
02-10-2008, 02:22 PM
I use drive..........

Apples to oranges here. Drive is a post emergent herbicide. Dimension & Aquacap are pre emergent herbicides. ARE YOU LICENSED ESHSKIS?????? J/K :laugh::laugh:

LawnDFortCollins
02-12-2008, 04:31 PM
We use dimension here, get good contral. Kills crabgrass up to the second stage, so we use it up to about mid-june.

DFLS
02-12-2008, 04:44 PM

Thanks

If you have a license then WHY do you have to ask? You didn't learn about all this in classes or studying?? I could answer your question easily by researching subject with goog.. .http://www.lebturf.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.TechnologyDetail&id=1407&typeid=7

xtremelawn
02-12-2008, 07:20 PM
If you have a license then WHY do you have to ask? You didn't learn about all this in classes or studying?? I could answer your question easily by researching subject with goog.. .http://www.lebturf.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.TechnologyDetail&id=1407&typeid=7

So I guess if you have a question about a chemical you have not used, then that means "YOU MUST NOT HAVE A LICENSE" What is this site for. I assumed it was a place to ask people with experience a question and get some good feed back. I thought this was like doing research. FYI I do have a license. As for the comments about " LICENSE,CLASSES, AND STUDYING" I was not looking for any smart ass comments. But I guess its easy to be a smart ass over the Internet and over 1000 miles away!

Turfdoctor1
02-12-2008, 07:44 PM

this is rididulous and completely unneeded.

xtreme, you are right, people on this site often get defensive for no reason. But, there are so many good guys that i keep finding my way back, year after year.

Honestly, your crabgrass control is probably going to be quite a bit better with dimension or barricade than with aquacap. I believe there is quite a bit of university research out there to support that. However, the difference in control may not warrant the price difference in your situation.

Here, in NW Arkansas, I use Prodiamine in the spring for crabgrass control and tank mix Simazine for short term broadleaf preemergence control. I feel that the Prodiamine (barricade) is just as effective as the Dimension and less expensive. There are generics out there that give good control as well. This year I am using Prodiamine 65WG.

Whitey4
02-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I don't get some people.... why rip a guy that asks a simple question? Must have been beaten by daddy as a kid er sumpthin.

From the studies I've looked at, Aquacap is less effective than most other Pre-M's, but yes, it's cheaper. Dimension is restricted here, and I have decided to go with Barricade this spring. I believe it's a bit less expensive than Dimension as well, but higher than Aquacap.

If Aquacap has worked well enough, stick with it. If you are seeing breakthrough, then I'd say definitely look for another control. If it's a new property or customer, I'd want to use something better than Aquacap though. Spot spraying for crabbgrass is embarrassing.

humble1
02-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Get ready..... take cover........ you might get attacked and accused of not haveing a licence, hot heads do that hear. Try doing a search......

wow seeing you could see the future posts before they happen, can you pm me the winning powerball number- too funny

humble1
02-12-2008, 08:25 PM
So I guess if you have a question about a chemical you have not used, then that means "YOU MUST NOT HAVE A LICENSE" What is this site for. I assumed it was a place to ask people with experience a question and get some good feed back. I thought this was like doing research. FYI I do have a license. As for the comments about " LICENSE,CLASSES, AND STUDYING" I was not looking for any smart ass comments. But I guess its easy to be a smart ass over the Internet and over 1000 miles away!

I think if you stay on board you will see who will help you if you have questions. I have a few people i will pm, i tend to value some peoples opinions over others, dont take it personal, there is alot of good info on here, and alot of guys know there shite, there are also some people that might come across wrong.

RigglePLC
02-12-2008, 08:40 PM
You could use the Pendi--and just go at a higher rate. The label probably allows a higher rate for the south and for severe situations. And...you could double ap--repeat your crabgrass control in 6 weeks.

Stillwater
02-12-2008, 10:11 PM
wow seeing you could see the future posts before they happen, can you pm me the winning powerball number- too funny

You mean MegaMillions tonight 150,000,000... I got myself 3 quickpicks

DFLS
02-12-2008, 11:23 PM

FYI I know you have a license because you said you did in your second post in this thread.

A license that is good for what if you have to ask what rate do you recommend I put out at? When should I put it out and how long of coverage will it give me? So you are asking for advice from other licensed applicators. Do these other applicators know these answers from studying, or did they all learn from trial and error?

I called my local Scotts Lawn Care and the manager there knew the answers to these questions without hesitation. He has a supervisor's license. If you operate solo in CT you need a supervisor's license.

That is all I am saying here. And yes this is a place to ask people with experience a question and get some good feed back about results that different products yield, especially if you have never used them. But you should know the application rates, coverages, and best application times from all that studying you did to get your license. All federally approved pesticide products have fact sheets for this purpose available from the manufacturer. Is that the difference between an applicator's license and a supervisor's license?

I see many posts from those who are licensed telling the non licensed that they do not know what they are doing and they are going to contaminate the environment or waste product or make somebody sick. Most without licenses will make mistakes but some of those that are unlicensed are more careful than those that are licensed. How many times have I read posts here with ranting at the (chem l... or tru.....) guys spraying weed control in the rain or hours before a heavy rain? These are licensed companies going against the guidelines just because if they don't spray in the rain they won't meet their quota for the week. I have seen them spray while the lawn guy was bagging grass. Three years ago a licensed worker was caught dumping mix into a sewer to get rid of it. Stirred up a hornets nest of inspections, and this post will likely stir up some stingers too.

Maybe i was in a bad mood when I posted earlier. Sorry.

redbuckcavs
02-13-2008, 09:31 AM
I've been using Dimension for 4 years. Start step #1 mid - march and continue into May.
I'm starting to wonder if I couldn't use a cheaper product when I start my first round(why use a product for post emergence when I know the seed has not Germinated yet)

Dimension is a great product and allows you to treat lawns after germination, however I just like to do my homework instead of always listening to my fert rep.

Turfdoctor1
02-13-2008, 10:15 AM
FYHow many times have I read posts here with ranting at the (chem l... or tru.....) guys spraying weed control in the rain or hours before a heavy rain? These are licensed companies going against the guidelines just because if they don't spray in the rain they won't meet their quota for the week.

This is a discussion about pre-emergent herbicides. can you show me where on the label of say, Barricade 4L, it says not to spray in the rain? The label says not to "apply directly to water or to areas where surface water is present", but I for one see absolutely no problem spraying in a light rain. In fact, for the customer, that is the absolute best timing. The label says that it is ideal to water in immediately. I sprayed in a light rain all day Monday, and I would be fighting mad if someone called me irresponsible because of it.

xtremelawn
02-13-2008, 11:27 AM
FYI I know you have a license because you said you did in your second post in this thread.

A license that is good for what if you have to ask So you are asking for advice from other licensed applicators. Do these other applicators know these answers from studying, or did they all learn from trial and error?

I called my local Scotts Lawn Care and the manager there knew the answers to these questions without hesitation. He has a supervisor's license. If you operate solo in CT you need a supervisor's license.

That is all I am saying here. And yes this is a place to ask people with experience a question and get some good feed back about results that different products yield, especially if you have never used them. But you should know the application rates, coverages, and best application times from all that studying you did to get your license. All federally approved pesticide products have fact sheets for this purpose available from the manufacturer. Is that the difference between an applicator's license and a supervisor's license?

I see many posts from those who are licensed telling the non licensed that they do not know what they are doing and they are going to contaminate the environment or waste product or make somebody sick. Most without licenses will make mistakes but some of those that are unlicensed are more careful than those that are licensed. How many times have I read posts here with ranting at the (chem l... or tru.....) guys spraying weed control in the rain or hours before a heavy rain? These are licensed companies going against the guidelines just because if they don't spray in the rain they won't meet their quota for the week. I have seen them spray while the lawn guy was bagging grass. Three years ago a licensed worker was caught dumping mix into a sewer to get rid of it. Stirred up a hornets nest of inspections, and this post will likely stir up some stingers too.

Maybe i was in a bad mood when I posted earlier. Sorry.

There are many ways to get information " studying, asking for advice from other licensed applicators, Or talking to my Lesco rep". When I am trying to learn about a chemical I have not used I like to get information from people that have used the product. I do not know where they learned it from "studying, trial and error or maybe they ask other applicators". You make it sound like if someone learned by trial and ERRORthat they should not share their information and just let everyone else make the same mistakes. As far as talking to my Lesco rep. If I ask him a question today and he gives me the answer and a month later I call and ask the same question I will get a different answer. The answer depends on what product he is trying to push that week.

The reason for the question for rates and cost were to see if it would be cost effective for my program. You make it sound like I am asking for top secret information. I was asking for cost per 1000 not what you charge per 1000.

I am sorry if you had to learn from trial and error. But maybe if you had a better attitude and tried to help people maybe people would help you in return. I think that would be better for everyone.

My question to you is IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION OR DO NOT WANT TO SHARE THE INFORMATION WITH ME THEN WHY REPLY?

DFLS
02-13-2008, 11:09 PM
but I for one see absolutely no problem spraying in a light rain.

I did say heavy rain in my post, which would be a down pore with runoff.

And xtremelawn, I did say I was sorry.

Trader Rick
02-15-2008, 12:23 AM
I have just come accross one of the best "FREE"chemical specification guides I have ever seen. It is in the February 2008 issue of "Total Landscape Care". www.TotalLandscapeCare.net It is a cross reference of chemicals listed by common name of active ingredients, commercial name and companys that make them as well as contact information to the company. It lists the products as pre or post mergents, mode of application and what they controle as well as the tollerance in different turf species. This guide is great. Of course on this board we have folks from every corner (and in between like us in the tranzition zone) so application times, rates and soil types all can differ for the same product. I often see good advise on this site only to see it bashed by some one who had bad luck with the product, then I see that they are in totaly diff. parts of the Nation. Bottom line check your regional rep. for the product you are using for the proper rates,time of application etc... One 10 min call to them In my experience gave me information on a whole host of products. Best wishes for a prosperous season to all of you.
:usflag::weightlifter::usflag:

Armadillolawncare
02-15-2008, 03:45 AM
Trader Rick
That is a very useful guide you pointed us to. I take my final test this Monday and will be licensed this spring. I don't know about other states but Texas Dept of Ag does not spend much time talking about which specific pesticides to use when. So when someone asks about a particular product and then gets ripped for not knowing it sure makes me think twice about asking. This guide will definately assist in choosing the right products without haveing to ask.

Stillwater
02-15-2008, 07:05 AM
This is a discussion about pre-emergent herbicides. can you show me where on the label of say, Barricade 4L, it says not to spray in the rain? The label says not to "apply directly to water or to areas where surface water is present", but I for one see absolutely no problem spraying in a light rain. In fact, for the customer, that is the absolute best timing. The label says that it is ideal to water in immediately. I sprayed in a light rain all day Monday, and I would be fighting mad if someone called me irresponsible because of it.

I thought this thred was about crabgrass control, the subject has clearly drifted. I got jabbed for haveing the gall to write the worde Drive

Turfdoctor1
02-15-2008, 09:23 AM
I thought this thred was about crabgrass control, the subject has clearly drifted. I got jabbed for haveing the gall to write the worde Drive

not pointed at you eshskis. your post never even entered my mind, honestly. I was merely prefacing my point to DFLS by starting it with, "thread about pre-emergent herbicides."

What made you think i was jabbing you?

Stillwater
02-15-2008, 06:19 PM
not pointed at you eshskis. your post never even entered my mind, honestly. I was merely prefacing my point to DFLS by starting it with, "thread about pre-emergent herbicides."

What made you think i was jabbing you?

Oh no I don't think that at all sorry if my post made you think that were cool....