PDA

View Full Version : need time off (medical) but got work to do. HELP!!!!!!

tranum
11-03-2001, 07:09 PM
been fighting off this back pain since mid-july. now somethings gotta give & it's gonna be me. after epidural block for pain (no relief) and MRI shows another herniated disc, gonna see my surgeon monday a.m. I've been thru this twice before in the late '70's but i was working for the man & didn't have to worry about taking care of customers. business has been sooo much better this year (my 3rd fulltime) & picked up really good commercial beginning Jan 02, & now this!! I've kinda, sorta, maybe got a plan for providing somewhat uninterrupted service for my "high maintenance" accounts but i'm a little uneasy. after all, i am the CEO of my little company & also the guy that washes the mowers lol. any of you ever been faced with something similar? should i send out a letter letting customers know what's going on? do the best i can? refer them to another LCO if things really get tight (NOT)? i'm reaching here (for help) because i'm really concerned.
Eric, i know you've had a couple of "bad backs". were you in this biz then? if so, how did you handle? any suggestions, tips i will appreciate.

stslawncare
11-03-2001, 07:12 PM
give us an idea of what u goy, in the line of number of customers, employees, equipment, number of crews etc. is it possible for you to sorta be like a business man and do all the business side and have employees do the labor side?

gene gls
11-03-2001, 08:40 PM
This is one reason to have a helper,hopfuly one that could be depended on to carry the load with out supervision.

Gene

tranum
11-03-2001, 09:19 PM
i have appx 55 resi's & 1/2 doz com. while none of the res are on a yearly agreement, about half are on an "as needed" basis which means during fall/winter, if i see something that needs doing, i do it. this is primarily leaf jobs & cleanups. in my depressed (means poor) part of the south yearly contracts are a very hard sale. (HOMER, you might could help me w/this). i am basically a solo operation with one (imo) very good part-timer. as for equip, have turf tiger(no bashing, as i have learned to appreciate the "not so finer things in life")and 721d grasshopper w/vacuum plus the other essentials. business has been good for me in 01 & i think i am headed in the right direction (see HOMER's thread on "where do you want to be in 5 years") but, this disc problem with my back, while not really catching me off guard given my history, is really sending me into a semi-panic. my wife tells me "don't worry, be happy" we'll be fine. hope she's right!!! trying to keep the chin up but i'm a natural born pessimist i guess.

awm
11-03-2001, 10:37 PM
the only answer i see hoss is the wife. the helper works and she helps and makes sure everything is kept right. bye the way bad news. unless u get off that back and give it time to heal right,
u WILL be right back in there.not to discourage, friend but the reason those operations dont seem to work for many people,
is they start to feel good an comeback too soon too hard.
you re in a difficult position,my best to u and your good wife.

thelawnguy
11-03-2001, 11:25 PM
The guy across the street (41 Y.O carpenter and motorcyclist) had this back surgery this summer after putting it off for years. He was home that evening, laid up for a little more than a week, and his only regret was not having it done sooner.

Why not schedule it for January when its a little slower and won't be so bad if things are put on hold for a week or so? You will soon catch up and any inconvenience will be a distant memory.

Mowingman
11-03-2001, 11:29 PM
Have you got any friends in the business? Maybe you could get one of them to take care of your properties until you get back on your feet.

stslawncare
11-04-2001, 08:45 AM
very good point brought up about doing it in off season, also about the wife taking over, however guys we dont know about the wife, is there one? she might have a full time job. tell us about ur helper, can u trust him, how long has he been with you, could he be what would be considered a forman? how hard would it be for you to hire another helper to help ur forman? im imagining that u can stay in the house and even bed and do all the inside work like invoicing etc, and im sure wife could help with that. good luck
Scottie

cajuncutter
11-04-2001, 04:22 PM
This is sorta the reason it sux to be a one or 2 man show. Most LCO's don't give each other the time or day around here. I became real good friends with a fella that has the same set up as myself. Sometimes when he was off I would offer his worker a job on his day off so he could make extra money. My buddy does the same with my guy. Over time they both know all of the accounts. Eventually we both took on some commercial accounts together. We have never merged but share just a handful..this leaves us to run our own business' the way we want with no head aches. When he is down or out of town I take care of all of his accounts...and the same goes for me....although it is rare that I take off and he likes to travel..works great for me :) I make even more money..I hope this may give you an idea or 2..these seems to work for us..

Eric ELM
11-04-2001, 07:49 PM
Tranum, Sorry to hear this. I was doing carpentry when I messed mine up both times. This was about 20 years ago this happened and they didn't have laser surgery back then. They have improved this surgury a lot, so if you need this done, I would get it done when you can get a chance to get it done and have it over.

Sorry I didn't get this answered before, but I was out of town for the weekend.

bobbygedd
11-07-2001, 02:12 AM
last year i had surgery that kept me out 6 weeks. the lawn guys around here would rather see u go under and your kids starve before they helped u out. i ended up losing 4 or 5 customers. the others understood my situation and hung in there, some actually gave me $5 a week more cus they knew i wasnt keeping up on my accounts . a friend of my wife offered to help me out, but, he couldnt even use a walkbehind, so he pushmowed (21") 2 lawns a day, every day, and helped me keep my head above water. the truth, im sorry i even asked these other lawn services to help me out(even offered them 100% of what the customers were paying, i wouldnt keep a dime!) one actually said that he wouldnt take them on for 6 weeks, but would wait like a vulture as i lost one after another, and he would move in on them. yes, this is a dog eat dog business, and we are all wearing milk bone shorts. good luck to you.