PDA

View Full Version : Just A Rant

drains
02-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Took my Husqvarna model 55 rancher to the dealer I bought it from 3 years ago for a "tune up" last week. Got a call to come pick it up next day. Ticket said 1 new plug 1 new air filter 1 new fuel line total parts = 12.65
labor = 47.50 + tax 4.80 = 64.95 total cost for just a few minutes work. Everybody needs to make a living but this is over charging to me. On the same subject, while I was filling out the tag before leaving the saw for the "tune up" I heard a parts person selling a guy the plastic cover on the side of a Husqvarna saw that looked a lot like mine and when he said 56 dollars for that 4 inch peice of orange plastic I knew I was in trouble and should have left then I guess. Well I dont make my living with this saw so I'm going to find another place to take my saw next time, there are several shops near me but I bought the saw from this dealer so I thought I would be a loyal customer. So much for that. Thanks for reading my rant and sorry it was so long. Have a good day.

ma5tr
02-10-2008, 01:14 PM
I dont think you got overcharged at all. You went to the husquvarna deler for service, and that what they provided. In my honest opinion those prices dont seem to bad.

drains
02-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the reply. I just wont go to an "authorized dealer" anymore. There are several small engine repair shops locally that repair all brands so I think I'll give them my business. As I said I dont make my living with a saw so having a "relationship" with the dealer isn't important to me. I'm just glad I have a choice.

Jason Pallas
02-10-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't think you got ripped off either. Sounds like a fair price to me.
On the rare occasion that I do need to take something out to a shop, I understand that there is usually a minimum fee (usually 1hour). I do this myself when I work for other people (mechanical) too. If you bring a piece of equipment to me, and I fix it in 10 minutes, there's usually a minimum charge.
Just like when I needed a heavy duty and very important weld done. I took it to this master welder that I use. While it only took him 5 minutes, I understood and was happy to pay him for the $65/hr minimum charge. After all, you're paying for all his equipment, expertise and knowledge - not for the 5 minutes.
If you're worried about the money, next time fix it yourself or at least inquire as to if the shop has a minimum charge.
Remember these guys are well trained and experienced. I can't tell you how many times I used to see guys bring in a piece of equipment for repair, get a diagnosis and estimate and then pick up the equipment only to repair it themselves. A lot of people used to use the repair techs to diagnose a problem (75% of the work) and then pick-up the unit to fix it themselves. This is also why shops now often charge diagnosis or tear-down fees. Your repair shop isn't ripping you off - you got charged a fair rate. I just think you should have asked ahead of time for an estimate.

MowerMedic77
02-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Took my Husqvarna model 55 rancher to the dealer I bought it from 3 years ago for a "tune up" last week. Got a call to come pick it up next day. Ticket said 1 new plug 1 new air filter 1 new fuel line total parts = 12.65
labor = 47.50 + tax 4.80 = 64.95 total cost for just a few minutes work. Everybody needs to make a living but this is over charging to me.

So let me get this right, you have used this mower for three years and FINALLY you bring it back to your dealer for service. A dealer who has bills/employees to pay, a dealer who has put out his own money for the shipping to bring in the stocking inventory of plugs,filters, oils,fuel lines, blades etc. He covers YOU by taking care of the environmental/disposal fees of your waste oil. And you got it back the NEXT day!

If my math is right besides the gas you put in the mower, @ this point this mower has COST you all of roughly $1.80 a month to use.

Let me ask you, How much does your Cell phone or Internet COST you a month to use?

Good luck happy mowing!

JB1
02-10-2008, 02:11 PM
So let me get this right, you have used this mower for three years and FINALLY you bring it back to your dealer for service. A dealer who has bills/employees to pay, a dealer who has put out his own money for the shipping to bring in the stocking inventory of plugs,filters, oils,fuel lines, blades etc. He covers YOU by taking care of the environmental/disposal fees of your waste oil. And you got it back the NEXT day!

If my math is right besides the gas you put in the mower, @ this point this mower has COST you all of roughly $1.80 a month to use.

Let me ask you, How much does your Cell phone or Internet COST you a month to use?

Good luck happy mowing!

NOW THAT IS FUNNY. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Exact Rototilling
02-10-2008, 02:33 PM
I do 99.5% of my own repair work. Problem solved. :)

AL Inc
02-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I also don't think you were overcharged. I can't believe there are people on this site who complain about cheap, price shopping customers, and then are looking for the cheapest parts and service they can find for themselves. Don't forget, you aren't just paying for the parts used for the tune up, you are paying for a portion of the repair shops rent, lighting, insurance, labor, AND the guy has to make a profit too.
I'm all for saving money, and do lots of my own repairs and service, but if you want the conveinience of someone else doing the tune up for you, expect to pay a bit more for it. That's like a customer saying "I can cut my own lawn for less than you charge"

wildbilly1113
02-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Some of you guys are mechanics and don't know a Rancher 55 is a saw

cantoo
02-10-2008, 04:46 PM
wildbilly1113

ding ding ding we have a winner. This guy deserves the minimum charge.

MowerMedic77
02-10-2008, 04:59 PM

The units make or model or type of unit is irrelevant, my equation still works whether its a saw,mower,blower,weedy,etc.etc. His complainant is based on what he perceives as being charged too much for a service performed at a DEALER. If you bought a piece of equipment from a BIG BOX store what kind of service would you get from them,three years later? Now if he takes that same unit to another shop that is not a Husky dealer and they need to get him that part that the dealer has in stock now he is down more time and pays more to cover the shipping of the part in, and also whatever markup on the part they require. So which is better?

shop22
02-10-2008, 05:53 PM
So don't get mad the next time a customer of your's questions your bill for "just a few minutes work". I'm sure you'd tell them that you have insurance, healt care, workers comp, gas, maintenace to pay. It's all the same. The dealer has bills to pay just like you do.

topsites
02-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Nah that ain't bad I just paid $228 for a rear wheel bearing, parts labor and tax.
The nuttiest part is I still felt like that was cheap, I think the bearing itself is like 50 or 80 bucks!

Then again it was on that one old bmw of mine :laugh:

dgZtrak737
02-11-2008, 12:23 AM

Good luck happy mowing!

The units make or model or type of unit is irrelevant, my equation still works whether its a saw,mower,blower,weedy,etc.etc. His complainant is based on what he perceives as being charged too much for a service performed at a DEALER. If you bought a piece of equipment from a BIG BOX store what kind of service would you get from them,three years later? Now if he takes that same unit to another shop that is not a Husky dealer and they need to get him that part that the dealer has in stock now he is down more time and pays more to cover the shipping of the part in, and also whatever markup on the part they require. So which is better?

Have you even read anything he has written?
He is going to take it to an independent repair place because he DOSENT make his living with it, and probably can do with out it a few days. They probably use aftermarket parts, and it probably would be cheaper. Personally I would do the same thing.

lucforce
02-11-2008, 12:29 AM
So if $65 is too much, how much would have been a fair price?

SLR
02-11-2008, 02:36 AM
1.Took my Husqvarna model 55 rancher to the dealer I bought it from 3 years ago for a "tune up"

2. the plastic cover on the side of a Husqvarna saw @ $56 dollars for that 4 inch peice of orange plastic
------------
1.Just me, butt, why ever would someone get such a brain flatus,and actually take a practically new 3yr old saw to get a tune up! why would you not perform this "a few minutes of work" task yourself?

2. Are you aware of this 4" plastic part & it's functions???
If you are talking about the pull cord side,how could you possibly think that is not an acceptable price for housing the recoil etc..if it's the 'break-bar' attachment that sounds very reasonable $56 for a part not in that great of demand.
Only thing i take my 55 Rancher in for is to re-sharpen my blade, i strongly recommend you do the same.

Scag48
02-11-2008, 03:11 AM
Hahaha, if you had to take a saw to the dealer to change the plug and air filter, you deserve to be charged that much. This is probably the easiest form of maintenance ever, I was sharpening chains and adjusting carbs on saws when I was 9 years old, I'd hope you could figure out how to replace the plug and filter. This is hilarious, complain elsewhere.

Even then, if you had absolutely no idea how to change the plug and filter, the shop has to make money and they can charge what they want, pay it or do it yourself.

topsites
02-11-2008, 03:29 AM
Well I tell you I've paid what seemed a lot of money for something apparently minor before, then I came here or I'd ask around and folks were telling me the price was right (if not good). Why shouldn't the shop guys earn $60 an hour, how outrageous is that when we get it for cutting grass, seriously I actually told my dealer I thought his price was in line when I found out it had went up to 60.

Because what I learned to do with those experiences is to remember, THIS is the true cost of doing business, THIS is why I charge what I do, this crap they keep ranting about is for real and THIS is why I give no more discounts. And it helps, the more I end up in these tight spots the thicker my skin gets, come around me asking for a discount and I'm like "well I don't recall this fellow volunteering to pay that one bill I just got stuck with," and I quote whatever even if they about have a heart attack, because I have to cover my cost.

That's it, you know, even if you can do a lot yourself still sooner or later comes that one knuckle or brain buster you still can not do, I get them too... bmw wheel bearing prime example, I can do regular bearings all day long but this one's something else, so, I take it to someone who can deal with it.

And better yet, when or if you can DIY shouldn't you still get paid, too?
And why not?
I do!
(that's not to say I been like this from the start lol but one day I got tired of doing free maintenance).

It's worth it, just have to remember, this is what all the guys mean by the cost, and it is your cost, this is what it is costing you to show up at the next customer's house.

Stillwater
02-11-2008, 04:50 AM
ah. ever hear of a 1 hr minimum? what do you charge per hr.? why are you not doing the tune up yourself?

WJW Lawn
02-11-2008, 06:50 AM
He absolutely should have done it for FREE ! Hoping that maybe you would tip him so he could pay his bills with that. Good luck with finding a better price...because it seems fair to me.

mowermankevin
02-11-2008, 06:56 AM
I (independent repairman) worked on my neighbors Stihl and did exactly what you had done on yours, 3 year old saw,rotted fuel line etc.,spent more time rounding up parts than working on the saw, and he was happy to pay me what I asked $55. Look on the bright side, like you said "I don't have to make a living with the thing",I have and it's a hard way,enjoyed it,but tough, and remember if you paid the shop the way you count(47 +tax) does not equal 65 You just saved $10!!!

themowerman
02-11-2008, 09:55 AM
I assume that the dealer blew all of the crap out of the saw, cleaned the carbon from the muffler and exhaust ports, and checked no load engine RPMs as part of the "tune-up". You got a fair price!

drains
02-11-2008, 10:19 AM
O.K.please read the entire post closely before commenting. If I had known beforehand that I would have been paying as much as I did for such a simple job then I WOULD have done it myself, my mistake for not asking for a ball park price. I can and I may do it myself in the future. I just know I will check for "minimum charges" next time if I do carry something in to a shop and get an estimate if possible. The 65.00 is to much in MY OPINION so there is a live and learn in there somewhere. There is no reference to a minimum charge anywhere around the counter in the service area to be seen at this shop or they would have never touched my saw and this rant wouldn't be happening, so theres one thing wrong right off the bat. So I guess this minimum charge is a "customary" thing that only frequent customers have found out about in the same way I did huh? Or maybe, just maybe now, this particular shop, not all shops, don't want people to know about the "minimum charge" so customers wont just walk out when they learn of it and therefore take their business elsewhere. I still feel like I got sucker punched . Like I said before I don't make my living with the saw so it doesn't really matter to me who works on it as long as they do a competent job and I am satisfied with the cost for the service, or I can go elswhere or do it myself is all I'm saying. I'm sure some of the more smart aleck remarks posted are from people who in the first place obviously can't read since I clearly stated this is a SAW and not a MOWER, big difference there, (must have been the one that worked on my saw then charged me for a mower), and second I'm sure some of them are the ones sticking the "minimum charge" to people on a daily basis. Now I'm sure I'll get thrown off the site for having the nerve to question something as sacred as price in here but Im not about to take anything back or change my opinion about this. O.K. I'm done.

RockSet N' Grade
02-11-2008, 10:46 AM
To find someone who fixes ANYTHING right the first time and gives great service by having it back to you the next day is worth a premium. Is the price you paid "fair".....I would pay that and do pay that in a heart beat.
Be glad its just a chain saw........I just got done forking out over $25,000 on repairs and a new implement or two for my track hoe and am happy to do so. Good on time quality service is the difference between ordinary and successful.

drains
02-11-2008, 11:59 AM
To find someone who fixes ANYTHING right the first time and gives great service by having it back to you the next day is worth a premium. Is the price you paid "fair".....I would pay that and do pay that in a heart beat.
Be glad its just a chain saw........I just got done forking out over $25,000 on repairs and a new implement or two for my track hoe and am happy to do so. Good on time quality service is the difference between ordinary and successful.

Obviously what needs to be addressed are the two different trains of thought here. You use your equipment (a trackhoe) to make money, correct? Then logically you would be more prone to benefit from the high priced services offered by your favotire repair shop, someone you can trust to do the job "right and on time". I have found out by asking around that some shops put commercial work ahead of all other work in the shop so YOU should pay more for this service. You will in all probability get your money back and then some by passing your repair costs along to your customers. So the price isn't really high for you it is in reality high for your future customers when you pass it along via your price structure or write it off on your taxes. I dont know, I'm not a business person so I cant comment there any further. Myself on the other hand have a CHAIN SAW, not a mower, that I dont make a living with, that I trim the occasional tree with and other simple tasks around the house. The shop did 15 minutes of work on the saw and charged me 45 bucks and I'm not happy bottom line and I wont go back there, ever. I have no one to pass the cost on to, so I dont have an "out" like you do. Your service bills are business related so you should care less what they charge you because you "pass it along". If you didnt you wouldn't be in business right now. You dont think these shops know businesses pass costs on to thier customers when they raise prices? Sure they do. It doesnt hurt them or you only the customers who have to pay in the end. This post has gotten out of hand. All I wanted to do was blow off a little steam. Yeah price is definitley the most sacred of cows here. You can just bet the ones squealing the loudest are the ones doing the most gouging.

themowerman
02-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Did that shop do a "tune-up" or just change plug and filter??? If they did what most shops do as a tune up it is worth what you paid. They usually change spark plug, clean or replace air filter, change fuel filter, blow out air fins and carb area of dirt, remove muffler and clean carbon from muffler and exhaust ports, check and adjust no load rpms.

MowerMedic77
02-11-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm not a business person so I cant comment there any further. The shop did 15 minutes of work on the saw and charged me 45 bucks and I'm not happy bottom line and I wont go back there, ever.

Obviously your not a business person, or have to run any kind of buisness where PROFIT is the goal. Lets examine your "15 mins". You came to the shop to drop off your "UNIT" and the person at the counter(employee or owner) took your info and gave you a work order or paper receipt of some kind now how long did this process take? Is his time not worth anything to you how about your work order did that not COST the business something?

Now a service tech. took your "UNIT" and diagnosed your issues and either turned in your ticket for your parts to be looked up and pulled or he did this himself. Now with parts in hand fixes your "UNIT" and now takes the completed ticket back to the counter man/parts person/ owner and your invoice is updated and then this person who if we follow your logic time should be free, picks up the phone and calls to inform you that the "UNIT" is completed and ready for your pkup.

Now we go further, you re-enter the business and tell the counter person/owner/helper whoever that you are here to pickup your "UNIT" now that person pulls your invoice and bills you out and then either goes and gets the "UNIT" or sends the tech to bring it to you.

Now all this is "15 mins" worth of work right? Oh yeah I am sure you were his only customer to spend "15 mins" on that day and I guess they should EAT all that time for every customer that walks in for a "15 min" repair?

Once again good luck and happy mowing!

ED'S LAWNCARE
02-11-2008, 01:58 PM
The real question here is what would you consider a "fair" price. If you think labor should have been 10-20 bucks then you are living in the stone age and need to re-evaluate today's market place. If you take your car to a garage to have it worked on they charge you what a book says the labor should be. If it says 4 hours, but they only take 1 hour to fix it, you still get charged the 4 hours. How's that for unfair. Anyway assumption can be a !@#$#er.

You came on here with a rant, and did not like what everyone had to say. If 20 people that deal in this profession are telling you your view is askewed then guess what :hammerhead::hammerhead:

Good luck living in the stone ages:laugh::laugh:

shop22
02-11-2008, 02:04 PM
How do you know it was a 15 minute job? Did you watch him? Most saw tune-ups if done properly with plug, filter, clean saw, sharpen chain, clean filter, remove muffler to clean exhaust port and screen, run saw and check rpm on tach, check oiler can take 45 minutes or more by the time all the parts are looked up and saw is done. so if he gets 60 an hour and it took him 45min thats 45 bucks plus the parts and tax. I don't think you got screwed by a minimum 1 hour shop charge. You got a fair price.

drains
02-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Coming here complaining of high prices is the only foolish thing I did in this matter. Its easy to see that greed has blurred or even erased the line between making a good living and being satisfied and taking every cent out of a poor suckers pocket if there is any way to do it. Happy Gouging Everyone! :drinkup:

ma5tr
02-11-2008, 02:23 PM
My only question is how you ended up "buying" a saw.......you should of just rented one sice you only use it "once in a while", you then wouldnt have to worry about maintenace.

MowerMedic77
02-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Coming here complaining of high prices is the only foolish thing I did in this matter. Its easy to see that greed has blurred or even erased the line between making a good living and being satisfied and taking every cent out of a poor suckers pocket if there is any way to do it. Happy Gouging Everyone! :drinkup:

No way to dress up BEING CHEAP, in the future you should help the US economy by purchasing your saw from WALLY WORLD and in a year or two when it breaks you can call customer service in INDIA and support their income, and when they can't help you just toss it in the trash and go back and buy another one.

If you own a business TIME = $ and I don't know anyone working for FREE!

JB1
02-11-2008, 02:32 PM

Just keep posting, you will figure out the posting rules after a while.

GravelyNut
02-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Shop rates = $60/hr. Estimates = $30. That $30 applied to repair bill if you decide you want it fixed. By the time an estimate is done, the major part of finding problems is done. That also gets part of the unit cleaned as you can't find/fix the problems if the unit is dirty. If you walk in with a $99 saw from a big box store, you're told up front that it might be cheaper to buy a new one. Walk in with a $400 Stihl and that changes. Now the cost of the estimate/repair/tuneup becomes worthwhile.

We had a Poulan that had a fuel line go bad. It was 10 years old. Which do you think is better. Get it fixed? Or replace as it already is 10 years old? At some point it boils down to how much longer you expect it to run.

And yes, I know what the Husky is and goes for. If it ran good after the work was done, it should last you another 3 years. Your price/3 years = cheap fix.

lucforce
02-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Well, I asked before and then someone else did- HOW MUCH is a fair price for what you had done if $65 is too much?

topsites
02-11-2008, 09:24 PM
There's a whole market of folks who think $10 an hour is a fair hourly rate for guys like us.
Way big is that market, HUGE, never ending supply of customers there.

So I don't know, maybe we're trying to tell you to raise your rates.
Or, and I am not recommending this but maybe you should tackle that market.
Either way, yup, why argue about it?

SLR
02-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Have you even read anything he has written?
He is going to take it to an independent repair place because he DOSENT make his living with it
--------------------------------
Thing is though..do you go to a doctor for diagnosis when you get a headache? If you do your looking at UNneeded expenses..and really, do you really want a independant/cheaper doctor to be messing with your $500$ saw!!..not I !