PDA

View Full Version : New photo gear

Landscape Illuminating
02-10-2008, 01:16 PM
We got a nice little storm that stuck pretty well, so I thought I'd head out for my first night shoot. Here are some shots. I'm still trying to talk them into dormer lighting.

http://doyon.smugmug.com/photos/252846342_JXFpo-XL.jpg

http://doyon.smugmug.com/photos/252846318_zJL2Z-XL.jpg

http://doyon.smugmug.com/photos/252846298_y6KHe-XL.jpg

http://doyon.smugmug.com/photos/252846287_Fxfnk-XL.jpg

-LI

Lite4
02-10-2008, 02:36 PM
I took some snow photos recently, it is amazing how much brighter it makes the scene look compared to when the snow is gone. Highly reflective properties that snow.

sprinkler guy
02-11-2008, 02:14 AM
Do you guys have any issue with the fixtures in the snow? I know the heat from the bulb will just melt the snow away, but does that ever lead to any water in the fixture issues? It's been in the high 70s here lately, so I don't really have a frame of reference. :cool2:

By the way, the big tree looks really cool with all of the snow in the branches. Nice pics!

JoeyD
02-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Nice Pics!!

Landrus2
02-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Nice lighting effects look’s sharp.:drinkup:

SamIV
02-11-2008, 12:52 PM
What type of equipment(Camera, Lens, Tripod)are you using? Very nice photos even though they look like they were not taken at prime time.

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting

Landscape Illuminating
02-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys.

Burt,

These were taken with a Nikon D200 with a 17-55 mounted. The tripod is something I picked up on Ebay for under $100 from Amvona. I don't recall the exact model number. You're right about it not being taken during prime time. These were taken during the hour of 9-10pm. I had a lot that were underexposed for fear of them being blown out, but I also had a fair amount that came out pretty decent.

-LI

hamsey
02-12-2008, 07:23 PM
I thought for sure you were going to say a Nikon D3. Showing off it's high ISO performance. D200 good camera and a good lense too.

Looks good!

Norm

SamIV
02-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Somebody's installing quite a number of fixtures to be able to afford camera gear like that. Just wait till everything greens up and you have a better window as the sun hangs around a little longer. I'm envious.

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Be forewarned - this comes from a life long, self admitted, camera geek.

Recently I put the finishing touches on a property that I have been working on for five years. The last two zones included the waterfront path and a lovingly restored 'heritage boathouse' circa 1910. I painstakingly lit the exterior of the boathouse, ensuring there was no glare, no over illumination and no light trespass.... all the while I had to completely hide the retrofit wiring and was not permitted to make any holes on the structure! (Heritage building renovation rules.)

The end result was magical. It really is stunning. People have stopped in their boats at night and called the clients at their home to positively comment on the property.

In any case, I wanted this job properly photographed. To capture it we would need to shoot from two private islands and perhaps from a boat on a calm night. The one pro photographer who was willing to come for a site visit quoted me a total cost of just over $4000 to do the shoot, post production and provide me with 8 to 10 archival quality 8x10 prints. $4K for one job!!!

Having a good deal of past amateur photography experience, I decided that I could do better, and heck this gave me the perfect excuse to go buy a really nice new rig. I did hours of research ( www.dpreview.com is a fantastic site ) and ended up buying a Canon EOS 20D (40D is now current and amazing) with the EFS 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS US
lens, the EF70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Lens, the EF 1.4xII extender, the Speedlite 430 EX Flash, a manfrotto tripod with swivel ball head, a manfrotto monopod with swivel ball head, and a pelican hard case to keep it all safe. Whew! Total bill was just over $5k.

Now I can take my own pro grade photos, do my own post production on photo shop and I don't have to worry about paying a pro to come out for those special jobs. My next dillema... finding the time and inclination to actually get back out there on those perfect evenings and do some shooting!

A long way to say that a great camera rig, and a few nights in an evening photography class (you need to understand composition well) can be a really good way to spend some of your "advertising and promotions budget".

Regards.

steveparrott
02-14-2008, 01:53 PM
If anyone wants to get fully equipped like James, you can go to my B & H Photo wish lists. I have two lists - Landscape Lighting A (around $2,000) and landscape lighting B (around $3,500). The first one uses the Canon EOS 30D and the second the Canon EOS 5D. You'll only notice the difference if you are really pushing the envelope and going for shots late into the night.

To access the kits, go to:

https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList2_logged.jsp&A=WishList&Q=showWishList

At the bottom of the page enter my first and last names - Steve and Parrott.

I'm also putting together my landscape lighting photography seminar calendar for the year. Please PM me if you're interested in attending and I'll try to schedule seminars in your region. It's a 2-hour class followed by a nighttime shoot.

pihta
02-14-2008, 02:50 PM
James!

Why 20D, not 40D? And why you chose this tele lenses? I'm thinking about more wide angle - so I can shoot from close distance and get all the house in one frame.
P.S I use Canon 30D Kit.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-14-2008, 03:12 PM
I bought my 20D the day after the 30D was introduced. I saved a bunch of money... and at the time there were no real improvements between the 30d and the 20d. This is not the case now with the 40D, which is a vast improvement over the 20/30D.

If you get the upgraded 17-85mm primary lens you really will not have much need for a dedicated wide angle... 17mm is pretty panoramic. I got the tele and converter for taking nature and portrait shots. I really like candids for shooting people and you need a BIG lens to capture those and not be in the field of view of the person you are shooting. That 70-200mm F2.8 IS USM lens is "Da bomb", I would be lost without it. Excellent all around lens for shooting just about everything. Add the 1.4 converter on it and you are close to a 300 tele... great for nature shots.

Regards.

steveparrott
02-15-2008, 08:55 AM
My first digital was the 20D - great results but the viewfinder was too small - hard to evaluate image quality during the shoot.

The 30D had a better display and more pixels, a big improvement over the 20D.

The 40D has an even bigger display, over 10 mgp, and enhanced tonal rendition. I haven't seen the results but probably quite excellent (note - it costs $350 more than the 30D).

I currently use the 5D that has over 12 mgp, excellent tone rendition, superb ability to pick up details in the darkest of conditions. It also has a big enough collector so the entire lens image is captured. This means lens focal lengths are the same as with film (e.g. a 50mm lens is normal whereas in the 40D a 31mm lens is normal).

By the way, the quality of the lens makes a huge difference. Anyone wanting excellent results should expect to pay at least $1,000 on the lens alone.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-15-2008, 09:00 AM
I currently use the 5D that has over 12 mgp, excellent tone rendition, superb ability to pick up details in the darkest of conditions. It also has a big enough collector so the entire lens image is captured. This means lens focal lengths are the same as with film (e.g. a 50mm lens is normal whereas in the 40D a 31mm lens is normal).

By the way, the quality of the lens makes a huge difference. Anyone wanting excellent results should expect to pay at least $1,000 on the lens alone.

Steve when you are ready to upgrade to the 1D - Mark III let me know! I will happily take that 5D off your hands for you.... body only of course.

:)

Pro-Scapes
02-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Steve your shots with the older 20d were quite stunning. Excellent to say the least.

Cant wait to see more of your work with the newer camera.